SKIVT-L March 2001, Week 5

Re: Bernstein's rant and cleanup

Michael Bernstein <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Mar 2001 20:08:20 -0500

Geoff wrote:

>>Many people would happily pay $7.00 for a hamburger.  The issue most have
with ASC over hamburgers is quality and value, not price.  A $7.00
hamburger needs to be a pretty friggin' good hamburger served with a smile
in an uncrowded seating area, not a burned puck on a stale bun eaten while
jostling the masses looking for that last seat in the base lodge.  (This
argument obviously extends to other things they sell, too.)

You make my point far more elegantly than I could have here.  The prices,
crowds, and indifferent service are all extremely off-putting, and in the
end, self-defeating.

>>I think that skiing lift ticket and equipment prices have remained quite
constant when adjusted for inflation.  The difference is that most people
now demand a higher end experience so the lodging and dining part is much
more expensive.  Skiing has never been a sport for the poor.

This may be true, but it has never been more of a hassle than it is now to
get
on the mountain and enjoy oneself.  People will pay for a quality product,
they just aren't getting it.

>>If you factor in the incredibly low volume of learn-to-ski business at
MRG
and snowboarders (where retention rate = 0), I find it hard to believe that
MRG contributes very much to the population base of people who slide on
snow.

That is disingenuous.  Of course the ASC resorts attract and retain more
skiers than MRG could over hope to - they are several orders of magnitude
larger.  That not even apples to oranges, that's apples to elephants.  The
more relevant statistic is the % who stick with the sport.  Multiply the
higher MRG % by the skier visits at K and then you'll have a fair
comparison of who is doing a better job.

>>I disagree.  Try going to Deer Valet or one of the Aspen hills like
Snowmass.  Those are both profit-oriented places that make lots o' money
and cater to large masses of people.  They don't charge all that much more
than The Canyons or Steamboat but the level of service is incredibly
better.  I'd argue that a poorly managed company leads to indifferent
service and a lousy customer experience.  The type of ownership doesn't
matter so much.

The type of ownership matters very much, actually.  First of all, all the
examples you cite are privately held and are not subject to the same gowth
pressures as their public counterparts.  Sure the Crown family wants to
make more money in Aspen, why do you think they decided to allow boarders
on Ajax? (hint: it wasn't an overwhelming sense of guilt)  The difference
is, they don't have a fiduciary responsibility to squeeze every last nickel
out of their properties in a never-ending quest for revenue growth.  It is
no coincidence that the only two ski areas who have expensive detachable
chairs that aren't quads are Ajax and Gore.  Neither of their owners is
financially accountable to anyone else.  Moreover, look at the Aspen Ski Co
areas that have been growing, oops, I mean the area that has been growing.
Only Snowmass has experienced growth in the last 15 years (the others have
all seen significant declines in visits from their 80's highs), and I
attribute that to its ever expanding boundaries (and cannibalization of
skiers from its sisters due to a better variety of terrain).  As for Deer
Valet, they have executed perfectly on their original vision and master
plan and should receive props for that.  OTOH, you are talking about a
world-class resort with impeccable service, 3000 acres of terrain (like
Snowmass, that number is ever growing), and is only 45 minutes from a major
international airport.  How could it not succeed?

>>Hmmm.  Chairman P.A. Bernstein.  Has a nice ring to it, eh?  Looking to
run
for Mayor of Burlington or the Congressional seat in Vermont?

Chairman Bernstein...it does have a nice ring to it.  :-)

>>Unfortunately, I also remember when both ski areas routinely had 45
minute
lift lines on any given weekend.

Yet the skier visits continued to grow.

>>I like
skiing in October and May.  When it's 20 below, it's quite civilized to
ride in a heated gondola.  Only Killington, with all its mayhem, has enough
skier base to offer this.

Killington has been skiing into May for 30 years.  Days with 20 below temps
have been around for FAR longer. Yet until the mid 80's, the customers just
kept coming.  Is it any coincidence that this is also the time period when
K stopped expanding its boundaries and started "upgrading" what it already
had?  If there isn't anything new to ski, it certainly isn't the scraped
surfaces, McTrails, and base area zoo that's going to draw new skiers up
there.

>>I remember Michael Bernstein arguing the pro-
controled growth position and, sadly, the evril McSkiing ends up being the
end result.

I am still all for growth.  But to what end?  Growth for growth's sake is a
dead end that ultimately degrades what draws people to the mountains in the
first place: the skiing experience.

>>It's not just ASC resorts that have the problem.

Agreed.

>>So I guess you're saying that the world needs a bunch more rich fools who
are
willing to buy those publicly held ski resorts and operate them at a loss
so there will be places with character to ski.  When you've made your $500
million in NYC and buy a ski resort, don't forget about us little people at
SkiVt-L.

Since when is public equity required to run a ski resort?  ASC did it to
finance a reckless expansion.  Intrawest is a real estate company, so they
are partly excused.  Vail's owners cashed in on a wave of ski IPO
sentiment.  I find it interesting that many of the resorts that stick to
their knitting are profitable year after year: Alta, Taos, Wolf Creek, MRG,
Bridger Bowl.  Some of those have advantages like 500" inches of snow per
year - so be it.  Kirkwood does too, but they aren't in the best of
financial health, nor Grand Targhee for that matter.  One thing that is
common to those successful resorts is their low key nature, conservative
financial management, and friendly atmosphere.  When I do make my $500MM,
I'll be sure to give free season passes to all confirmed SKIVT-Lers, never
you worry.

>>Just how much do you think the average ski industry executive gets paid?
The president of Killington, with almost a million skier visits, employee
head count of something like a thousand people, and sales of somewhere
north of $50 million gets paid a little more than $200,000.  In a
comparable slot in the "real world", he'd easily get paid 4 or 5 times that
amount.  The average pay of the typical management-level ski resort
employee is far below that.  There just aren't that many 100K+ jobs in the
ski industry.

Actually, when compared to the salaries drawn by the heads of major
business units in rural areas, $200K is a nice piece of scratch.  The GM of
the paper mill I worked at in rural Georgia dealth with sales and an asset
base several times larger than $50MM, but made a lot less than $200K.  But
that's besides the point.  You are right, there just aren't that many
really well paying jobs in the ski industry. This is precisely why it is
difficult for the few holders of those jobs to give them up, even if they
aren't comfortable with direction the product is going.  You can give up
the $50K plus job in ski country and take a job that pays a lot less but
keeps you near the mountains (lots of those jobs around).  Or you can take
a job in an industry not nearly as dear to your heart, or nearly as close
to the hill, to keep your income up.  There is no way out, other than to
jump to another ski area whose vibe you can live with.  But as you pointed
out, those jobs are unfortunately few and far between.