Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

IT-DISCUSS Home

IT-DISCUSS  April 2001

IT-DISCUSS April 2001

Re: FTP Software ( was Re: Xwin and ftp software)

Geoffrey Duke <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:31:30 -0400

Corey,

Thanks for reviewing some of the available ftp clients. I've found the
Tucows listing <http://tucows.mv.net/ftp95.html> and Stroud's Winsock
Apps site <http://cws.internet.com/ftp.html> useful in comparing and
selecting software, including FTP Clients. FTP Voyager is very highly
rated, for what it's worth.

We are not looking for a different FTP client, though. (At least, not
for Windows). While anyone at UVM is entitled to use her own favorite
ftp client, we are only providing support for one; FTP Voyager. Among
the requirements when we selected the package were ease of use,
ability to
change file permissions, and ability to work with UVMVM's ftp server.
Our license for FTP Voyager lasts another year.

What would be helpful to know is what things make FTP Voyager
troublesome to some? Is there a way that we can package it to maximize
its utility and reduce frustration? For example, I've attached a
screenshot of FTP Voyager with many things turned off and a menu
customized to resemble Windows explorer. Upload and download with
drag-and-drop. This is, of course, just one possibility.

How do you (plural) use it? How do you configure it to make it work
for you and your clients?

--Geoff

PS. If you're having registration trouble, let me know. I can give you
a more direct registration mechanism--a .reg file.