]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  April 2001, Week 1

SKIVT-L April 2001, Week 1

Mt. Cranmore, NH 20FEB01 (non-VT) (6 Images)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Apr 2001 16:31:30 -0400

Here's a report from E on our trip to Mt. Cranmore earlier this season

    Well it was off to Mount Cranmore in North Conway on Tuesday
(February 20th).  Jay and I were meeting up with my sister Cindy, her
husband Tony, and their 3 children AJ  (9), Allie (7), and Sarah (4).
Cindy and Tony have recently been teaching their children to ski, and
this would be their 4th time skiing.  I've been dying to see them ski
(as they've been dying to have someone see them ski).  This family is a
blast just hanging around; I knew it would be fun skiing.  The plan was
to meet them between 10:00 and 11:00 at the left of the resort where the
rope tow and magic carpet are.  As scheduled we arrived in North Conway
at 10, however we missed the sign (and thus the turn) for Cranmore right
in the center of town.  If you ever plan to go to Cranmore keep your
eyes peeled for a white sign right in the busiest section of town.  When
we finally arrived at Cranmore it was 10:30.
    After booting up and buying tickets (only $29!!!) we met up with
Tony, Sarah, and Allie at the rope tow.  They were all in line, a very
long line, so Jay and I walked up the hill.  We reached the top at about
the same time as Tony and Sarah, then Allie followed close behind.  As
we'd see more of, Allie didn't waste any time and skied right down the
hill making a few turns and then having to skate towards the bottom to
keep up momentum.  Then Tony headed down with Sarah between his legs.  I
think Sarah enjoys the ride, as she looks all around at everyone else.
Back at the bottom we waited just a few minutes for Cindy and AJ to
arrive.  They had been off exploring some blue trails.  All together we
headed up the lift right there.  Fortunately this lift didn't have much
of a line, the others were packed!    It was a triple, so I went on with
Allie.  While we were on the lift I showed her my “Talk-about” as we
communicated with Jay and AJ on another chair.  Well, that was the last
I'd see of the radio until I left at the end of the day.  Allie thought
it was the greatest and even managed to ski and talk into it at the same
time as you can see in the picture.
    Once we reached the top, AJ and Allie were off like a shot.  Jay had
the camera and soon realized he'd have to think quick if he wanted to
get any video of them.  So he filmed and skied at the same time.  He'd
often ski backwards to get shots of the kids coming at him.  The kids
had been on this trail before, it's a long windy green trail with secret
jumps and pathways along the side.  Being his first time down this
trail, Jay missed some of those shots, but we hit this trail all day and
Jay learned all those special spots pretty quickly.  Towards the end of
the trail there was a rut along the right hand side - one of those ruts
that you can't make turns in, you just go with the roller coaster
whoopdy-doos.  This was AJ’s favorite part.  In the picture he is
landing one of those little bumps which then put a smile on his face
shortly after.  Allie soon learned to love this section as well - no
turning just enjoy the ride!  Most of the day was spent on this trail
reminding those two to turn. (I think Jay has trained me well, he used
to ski behind me yelling “Turn, speed is your enemy!”
    We even found a real jump, big enough for Jay to do a heli on.
However it was at the base of a short slope steeper than neither child
had been on.   We reminded them that they could ski the slope as long as
they kept turning.  The first time down, neither one turned once, and
yet made it safely (not hitting the jump).  The second time down AJ
decided to hit the jump.  We watched him head down, “Nice turns AJ—oh no
he's not turning any more—oh god he's headed right for it _ AAHH!”  He
nailed the jump but his feet shot forward and he landed on his rear end.
But he got up quickly and wasn't hurt at all (sigh of relief).  This was
caught on film.  Although the picture is not here, it will definitely
make the end of the year movie!  I just learned that AJ decided the A in
his name doesn't stand for Anthony, it stands for Air!!
    During one run I got to go with Sarah between my legs!   Ugh quad
burn! (but hilarious).  She talked nonstop the whole way down.  I kept
reminding her to watch her skis and keep her legs strong so that her
skis went the way mine did instead of flopping all around.  Then all of
a sudden I hear “Erica I am watching my skis.”  I'm thinking "yeah,
she's getting it, we're making progress!"  But before I can say any
words of encouragement and praise, she finishes her sentence “the green
matches my coat and the pink matches my hat…” Oh right, I'm skiing with
a 4-year-old.  Big smile.  For our last run with them, Tony stayed with
Sarah while Cindy, AJ, Allie, Jay and I headed off to explore the blues
that AJ had done earlier.  As usual it was work trying to keep up with
them. This time I had the camera.  Lucky for me, Cindy had explained to
them that they had to stop a lot since it was a new trail.  Each time I
was able to get ahead to set up for filming.  Each time I was not fast
enough, they headed down before I was ready.  Needless to say, we have a
lot of footage of the backs of AJ and Allie.  But they were making good
turns and in control. They progressed a ton in just one day.  It was a
beautiful sunny day with good snow coverage (turning to corn as the day
wore on).  I smiled most of the way home thinking about the events of
the day.

Images associated with this report (6 Images) can be viewed at:
http://www.uvm.edu/~jsilveir/20FEB01.html

-E