]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  April 2001, Week 1

SKIVT-L April 2001, Week 1

Sugarbush, VT 06MAR01 (1 video clip available)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Apr 2001 17:35:56 -0400

Sugarbush, VT, Tuesday March 6th, 2001

Well, it's been an amazing March and I'm way behind on my reports due to
too much skiing, but I'm slowly catching up.  Here's the first of
hopefully many reports, this one has a movie to get the ball rolling.

    March 5th and 6th, 2001: It was undoubtedly the biggest
low-elevation storm of the season.  Now be careful because here come
some fun Burlington snowfall numbers; don't drool on your keyboards
imagining what the ski areas got during each of these storms. ;)  For
Burlington, VT, this year's March behemoth was their 3rd biggest storm
on record with 22.9" of snow.  For those Burlington, VT weather history
buffs, I'll note that it beat out the blizzard of '93 (March 13-14),
which now drops to fourth place with a total of 22.4".  This storm was
just shy of grabbing second from a storm on January 13-14 1934 that
dropped 24.7".  The big kahuna is still the Dec 25-28 storm (count 'em -
4 days of snow) with  29.8" of snow.  I wasn't alive then, but my
parents (who lived in Burlington at the time) tell me that you would get
up each day, and there would be just as much snow as the day before...
for days on end.  You couldn't clear it fast enough.  This year's storm
didn't last quite as long, but schools were shut down, and even the
University of Vermont was officially closed (no classes had been
scheduled anyway due to town meeting day).  Surprisingly, the mountains
in general grabbed only marginally enhanced amounts above some towns.
My own measurements at Sugarbush revealed approximately 26 inches of new
snow.  The snow was not exceptionally light since this was a rather warm
coastal system, we're guessing about 9% H2O.
    This was of course a storm not to be missed, so James, E, and I
headed off to the 'bush in the early morning for fresh tracks.  We
headed up the Gate House Lift and at the start of our run something
became apparent:  this snow was too deep to keep moving on low angle
slopes - we needed to find something more than 25 degrees for some good
turns.  We headed over to Sleeper Chutes and chose the smaller chute (I
call it chute #2).  It falls away starting at around 30 or so degrees in
a 10 to 15-foot swath, and quickly returns to a mellow grade before
rejoining the main trail.  Someone had beat us to it, but we blasted
down through the remaining untracked - face shots galore!  The lower
sections of the trail were a different matter - you needed to stay in
areas where it was tracked and build up enough speed to hit the
untracked.  There was just too much snow.  The final traverse out from
Sleeper Chutes was a single trench line back to the lift.  If you should
stray out of this line, you were hiking in deep pow and working your
butt off.  Needless to say, snowboarders had to be extra cautious.  For
our next run, we jumped to the steep woods off the side of Waterfall.
You could still straightline them just as easily as making turns.  Turns
were entirely optional.
    At this point, North Lynx finally opened and we hopped on board.  We
hit Morning Star with about 8-10 tracks ahead of us.  It was nice to
have cut up areas again to get some speed going, then blast into the
deep pow.  We next went over to Sunrise, which had been tracked up
pretty good by that point.  This is where James made a startling
discovery.  To the skier's left of Sunrise is an area that looks like it
is being reforested and was perhaps at one point part of the trail
itself?  (If anyone knows the real origin of this area let me know!)
It's composed of shrubs and small trees.  Along the edge of this
section, as a bit of a barrier from the main trail, is a wall of small
brushy trees, maybe 10-15 feet high.  The interior is composed of
evergreens ranging anywhere up to 15 feet tall.  James peered into this
area and asked me why we had never skied in there.  Not even looking his
way, or giving it a second though I said, "Aww James, that's just a
little forest, you can't really ski it, it's all dense evergreens and
brush."  "Well, it looks skiable", he said.  I shuffled over to the edge
of the trail (thinking "don't be ridiculous" in my head).  My jaw almost
dropped when I looked over and saw what he was talking about.  Where
usually there was a young forest of evergreens, a few of the larger ones
we just barely poking their heads through.  "Holy cow!" - where did the
trees go?  They were, of course, buried.
We decided to hit it next run, using a special upper entrance that I
recalled from long ago.  James and I broke trail to the entrance - while
E dropped below with the video camera to document the event.  What we
found was beautiful snow in our own mini snowfield.  We worked the lines
in there, amazed that we were skiing on top of all these trees.  We then
hit it a second time and I took over operation of the camera.  James
added to his long list of incredible falls for the season by diving head
first into a tree well.  He tripped up, fell forward, and was gone.
This tree well was deep enough that James' head was level with the snow
surface when he stood up in it, and he was nowhere near touching the
ground.  He was still standing on branches.  All the events of the
Sunrise Snowfield (especially James' dramatic tumble into the tree well)
have been documented on digital video and can be accessed as a web movie
from the link below.  The movie is in Quicktime format, about 1 min 40
sec long, and about 24 Megs in size.
    We finished off the day with a trip to the Granville Woods before
heading home, and they delivered great lines as usual.  Of course that
was almost a month ago and it's been snowing nicely ever since.  More
reports to follow!

To view the movie associated with this day, go to:
http://www.uvm.edu/~jsilveir/sunrise.mov

To view a list of our available movies, go to:
http://www.uvm.edu/~jsilveir/movies.html

To view our ski reports from this season, go to:
http://www.uvm.edu/~jsilveir/ski.html

J.Spin