]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  April 2001, Week 4

SKIVT-L April 2001, Week 4

Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT 17MAR01 (6 images + map)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:25:42 -0400

Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT 17MAR01

    Last month I had the opportunity to travel to Hamilton, Montana for
a business-related trip.  Hamilton is about 45 minutes south of
Missoula, on the Western edge of Montana.  It's in the Bitterroot
Valley, with the Bitterroot mountain range to the west, and the Sapphire
range to the east.  Hamilton is a relatively small city (population
approximately 5,000), but it is the seat for Ravalli County and
therefore has the infrastructure for supporting about 40,000 people.  I
wasn't sure that I was going to ski when I was out there, but so many
co-workers kept asking me if I was going to ski, that I decided to bring
my boards and avoid dealing with any potential rental hassles if I did.
Another thing I hadn't decided about skiing was where I would do it.
After looking at my options, I had narrowed it down to three local
areas:  Montana Snow Bowl, Marshall Mountain (both about an hour to the
north near Missoula) or Lost Trail Powder Mountain, about 45 minutes
south on the Idaho / Montana border.  My decision was easily made when
the colleague I was visiting asked if I'd like to go with his son to
Lost Trail.  His son, Kalin, is on the freestyle team at Lost Trail, and
has a season's pass there.  Everyone seemed to speak of Lost Trail as
the "local mountain", so it seemed like the logical choice.
    Hamilton (elevation 3,640') averages 43.2 inches of snow a year, so
there is usually not too much snow in town.  The city is in the rain
shadow of the Bitterroots however, so while overall liquid precipitation
in the valley is only 16 inches, the mountains get about 60 inches.  I'm
not exactly sure what this converts to for snowfall, but a rough guess
would be somewhere between 200 and 400 inches of snow based on ski area
statistics.  Although Hamilton itself was not too far behind on snowfall
for the season, Montana in general was having a rather low snow year (so
everyone told me).  As we drove south along route 93, we eventually came
to Lost Trail pass (elevation 7,014).  Kalin said that the snow banks
were normally much larger, although they were certainly a good 6 feet
tall on the pass as it was.  Lost Trail is right off the pass, and is a
very simple ski area (for the time being).  It has a nice comfortable
base lodge, a couple of main double chair lifts (Chair lifts #1 and #2),
and about 1,200' of lift-serviced vertical.
    Lost Trail appears to be yet another one of those ski areas that's
located in two states.  In this case, the states are Montana and Idaho.
I can't absolutely confirm that the ski area is in two states, but the
mountain brochure lists the ski area as being in both states, and a
portion of the state line visible on the trail map looks as though it's
going to cut through the resort.  They've been skiing at Lost Trail
since 1939, which is actually a pretty long time in ski area years.  The
current top lift-served elevation is 7,800', and since one of the lifts
(lift #2) drops down below pass level to 6,600', this gives them their
vertical drop of 1,200'.  Lost trail is a very local mountain. My full
day ticket cost me $20, and the whole attitude is one of simplicity and
fun.
    Lost Trail gets an average of over 300 inches of snow a year.  How
much over 300 inches?  I don't really know, since all the brochure says
is 300+ inches a year.  I can tell you that all the locals raved about
the snow however.  One girl I rode up with said that although this year
had been different, usually almost every day she went was a powder day.
It can sometimes be hard to gauge what "almost every day is a powder
day" means, but the fact that Lost Trail is only open Thursday through
Sunday could factor into that.  Still, people said that if there was a
powder day on the other days (Monday through Wednesday), they would open
up.  Local info gave me the impression that this area of Montana gets
some of the most plentiful snow in the state, and this impression was
supplemented with info from the mountain's brochure.  As I understand
it, the ski area is on the continental divide, which must help grab
extra snow.  A couple that lived in Idaho had driven a substantially
extra distance to get to Lost Trail over some other local mountain, due
the notably higher snowpack in the area.  The locals spoke of one of the
other ski areas I had contemplated, the Montana Snow Bowl, as "icy".  I
have no idea how much of this was simply local mountain loyalty, and how
much was objective reality.  Whatever the case, Lost Trail had plenty of
coverage, and I never had to think twice about hitting a rock.
    I joined Kalin and his friends on the freestyle team for a few runs
at the beginning of the day.  Their thoughts were mostly about warming
up on a few jumps, so as soon as we got off the main double chair (chair
#1), they immediately broke skier's left to a chute that doesn't seem to
have a name on the trail map.  Forget about a real warm-up run or
anything, these kids just headed down this 40 degree chute to get to
where they wanted to go; I guess since it was the fastest way.  Their
ski technique (in general) has to be described as the way that a lot of
younger kids ski that are more into bumps and such.  The legs were
pinned together, the weight was a bit back (or at least the appearance
was such) and they flew down the terrain like it wasn't even there.  I
chose a series of controlled jump turns, that kept my descent at a more
modest pace, especially since I had no idea WHERE they were taking me.
The snow was generally packed out powder in the chute, and since it was
protected from the sun, there wasn't really any ice.  The chute ended
after a few hundred verts and we found ourselves in an open area above a
transfer lift (rope tow).  They proceeded to hit a couple of jumps,
which I decided to avoid due to carrying my camcorder.  I did decide
that it would be nice to get their antics on video tape later, if I had
the time.
    When we returned to the base, the group of four met up with some
more freestylers, and the party bulged to about a dozen.  Once we were
back at the summit, we headed farther around to the skier's left to the
Powder Bowl trail, and they all hit some more jumps.  One was REALLY
sweet; it was a ramp setup that went over one of the traversing green
trails with a beautiful takeoff and a beautiful landing (the landing was
a bit tight in the trees, but still manageable).  It was so nice that I
was tempted to drop the camcorder and hit it myself.  We took the rope
tow traverse to get us back to the main lift, and headed up again.  This
time, all the kids went over to the main bump course on the front of the
mountain (South Face Trail).  It was time for them to practice bumps.  I
wasn't really interesting in practicing bumps, especially with an entire
mountain to explore, so I bid Kalin farewell, and checked to see where I
should look for them if I wanted to get some video of them jumping.  He
pointed to a ridge off in the distance, and said that they had a
backcountry kicker set up behind the ridge.  If I didn't see them on one
of the main trails, they would probably be there.  Ahh, now it was time
for me to explore the mountain by myself!
    I was feeling a bit sluggish from non-stop meetings the previous day
and a lack of sleep, but how many times this year was I going to be
skiing in Montana?  'Nuff said, exploration time.  I headed back up lift
#1, and checked out the trees to the right of the first chute that we
had hit.  The snow was nice, with 6-12 inches of light powder, but the
trees were just a bit too tight to get a groove going.  I explored
around in some of the terrain below, and worked my way back to the lift
#1.  The lift op at the bottom of the lift had changed by this point,
and this fellow, as I was getting on the lift, looked me up and down,
and then asked, "Where are you from?"  "Vermont!", I told him.  "Well,
welcome to Lost Trail!", he said with a smile.  As I sailed away on the
lift, I heard him shout, "What area?", and I answered "Sugarbush!".  As
I continued up the lift, I wondered if he meant what town, or what ski
area.  Since saying my local ski area was the first response out of my
mouth, I guess that would suffice :)  I had spied some nice powder
fields below the lift, full of small evergreens, and decided to catch
those on my next run.  I had already skied the steep section of trail
below the top half of the lift (North Face Trail), and decided to try
the trees to the skier's left to access the lower section.  These were
more tight steeps, so I just sort of traversed my way around and
explored, eventually making it to the stuff below the lift.  The section
of little trees was short but sweet, with nice light powder in the areas
where there were no tracks.  The next time I boarded the lift, the lift
op was very excited to let me know that their new lift (lift #3) came
from Mount Snow in Vermont.
    There was a whole separate area of the mountain that I had yet to
explore.  This area is serviced by the other main double chair (Lift
#2), which drops lower than lift #1 and gives the full 1,200' vertical.
I tried out the black diamond trail called Thunder (a groomed run right
under the lift), and found it to be a bit firm since this area was
exposed to the sun.  There were a lot of trees around too, although
nothing that stood out as really open enough to be inviting to my tired
body.  After another run down back to lift #1, I decided it was time for
lunch so I hit the lodge.  I had a big phat bread bowl of Chili and a
drink for about $4.50.  I hung out and listened to the local
conversation in the lodge, and was tempted to fall asleep right there as
I gazed out the window at the slopes.
    Eventually, I dragged myself outdoors and decided to catch up with
Kalin and his friends.  I couldn't see them anywhere on the main trails,
so I figured I'd head for the ridge with their backcountry kicker.  I
could see off in the distance that there was some activity on the ridge,
but it was too far away to pin down exactly who it was.  Lost Trail is
currently undergoing an expansion, and the ridge I was about to visit
was soon to be serviced by a lift.  This is not just a small expansion,
since it looks like they are going to double or triple their skiable
area (see trail map).  The new lift will also increase their total
vertical to 1,800', substantially more than the 1,200' they have now.
This lift (not sure of the name, but it could be lift #4) would have
been ready for this year, but the huge Montana forest fires from last
year came so close to the resort that they actually had to stop
construction on the lift that services the new terrain.  The lift towers
are in, but the chairs and cable are not on.  They were able to install
lift #3, which is a low elevation chair that basically returns people
from the expansion area to the main base area.  As it turns out, the
lack of a lift #4 would mean lots of powder for me.  I hiked up the
ridge (this is a very small ridge between the main base area and the
expansion area), which required about 10 minutes, and I soon found the
backcountry kicker.  Unfortunately, Kalin and his friends were not
there, and it turned out that what I had seen from afar was a group of
snowboarders using the jump.  I was bummed, but I soon met up with an
older couple that had also just hiked up to the ridge and was about to
snowboard on the new expansion trails (just sitting there full of
powder).  We pondered which route to follow down in order to avoid any
additional hiking, and eventually checked with the jumpers to confirm
our thoughts.  They indicated that everything basically funneled down to
lift #3, which we could use to return to the main base area.
    We dropped onto the slope below the backcountry kicker, and were
rewarded with wide boulevards of barely tracked up powder.  It was like
having your own private ski area that you shared with a half dozen
friends.  The terrain we hit was nothing extreme, mostly blue and
topping off with maybe some single black, but it was oh so sweet.  There
were about 4-6 inches of nice light powder (from a small storm a few
days earlier) on slopes that were perfectly groomed - by Mother Nature
no less.  So little ski activity took place on the expansion trails that
the snow just settled flat as if it was groomed.  I'm not sure what
sorts of obstacles were present on the trails underneath, but they were
either buried beyond detection, or perhaps the slopes are nicely
trimmed.  I eventually split up with the snowboarding couple, and found
myself alone in the fields of powder.  I pulled out the video camera,
attached my poles to my pack, and cranked out some first-person footage
on the broad slopes.  Now THAT was fun; about 1000 verts of prime
powder.  It wasn't deep of course, but the slope and consistency and
everything came together to make it seem like these were the conditions
these slopes needed (or at least what I needed).  It was so fun in fact,
that I had to do another lap.  Gone were my thoughts of being tired from
the previous day, my mind was simply filled with the desire to hit more
of the private powder paradise.
    In order to do another lap, it turned out that I would have to ride
four, count 'em, FOUR lifts.  This is actually more lifts than the
mountain has (CHAIR lifts at least) but let me explain.  Arriving at the
bottom, I hopped on lift #3 (the double chair from Mount Snow).  After
getting off this lift, I skated a few dozen yards to a small rope tow.
This is the sort of rope tow that has the little handles on it, and it
brings one up about 100 vertical feet to the next rope tow, the traverse
rope tow.  This rope tow is of the type I used to ride at Cochran's, no
handles, just hang on like a bugger and shoot across.  Actually, as I
recall, this is the same way that traverse lift at Alta operated the
last time I was there.  The traverse rope tow drops you off slightly
above the main double chair (chair #1), which you ride back to the top
of the mountain.  Follow this up with a ski out towards the small ridge,
a 10-minute hike, and there you have it: one lap of the Lost Trail
Expansion area.  For my second lap, I was entirely alone, and let's just
say it was as good as the first.  When the whole ski area has probably
100 people at it (hard to imagine on a Saturday), it's not too hard to
find a piece for yourself.
    After that lap, they were just about closing the lift behind me, so
I called it a day when I got back to the lodge.  I hung out for a while
and waited for Kalin, kicking back with some food and drink I had
stashed in my pack.  Kalin eventually returned, and when I mentioned
that I was sorry that I hadn't caught up with them, he told me it was
fine, since they had been off building a road gap jump.  From what I
could gather, the jump was a big success, big enough to keep a whole
crowd of kids working and jumping until well after the lifts shut down.
For a small local area, Lost Trail was certainly enough to keep me
wanting more.  I don't know if I want them to finish off that new lift
or not, 10 minutes of hiking and four lifts is a small price to pay for
so much untracked terrain ;)

Images associated with this report (6 images + map) can be viewed at:
http://www.uvm.edu/~jsilveir/17MAR01.html

J.Spin