SKIVT-L April 2001, Week 3

Re: Telepiphany

Dave Mann <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:11:45 -0400

Matthew Reagan wrote:

> Wow.  You either got it or you don't.

Matt,

Here is a write up from my break through experience this
year.  Since you mentioned weighting the rear foot, I thought
this might be useful for you

> But here's a question:  How do set the cable length on Voile Classics?  (Or
> on any cable binding, for that matter?)  I tried to estimate the tension
> and ended up with one side *way* too tight (assuming I know what "too
> tight" means).

I adjust mine just tight enough to eliminate side to side slop and no
tighter.  It takes several iterations to get this.  I would err on
the side of too loose myself and then tighten down if you notice
slop.

Dave Mann                ||   e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Security Program Manager ||    phone:  508-485-7737   x254
RAZOR Security Team      ||     cell:  617-968-2697
BindView Corporation     ||      fax:  508-485-0737

Feb 2 - 3, 2001
N.A.T.O. Telemark Clinic with Dickie Hall
Wildcat Mt. and Mt. Washington

Overview
========
The first day was spent at Wildcat working on technique and turns.
The focus of the clinic was to drive home 3 major points:
  1) To telemark better, parallel more
  2) Be aware of what is happening with your upper body
  3) Make friends with your back foot

The two biggest hits for me, and several others I spoke with,
were skiing without poles (we skied most of the day with no
poles) and the goofy-foot (a.k.a. the reverse-telemark).
Dickie also shared with us the secret for skiing better in
nearly every condition.

The second day was spent skiing up the Sherburne, exploring the area
around Hojos and skiing the Sherburne back out.  The instructional
emphasis was on:
  1) Using wax instead of skins for climbing
  2) Traversing to conserve energy
  3) The step and jump tele
  4) Finding powder shot in the woods

Day 1
=====
After introductions and all that, we took a couple of free runs
on one of the beginner chairs.  There were about 20 of us and we
broke apart into 2 groups; one skiing with Dickie and the other
skiing with Jamie, a NATO instructor who is also doing a guiding
gig up in Maine.

Parallel Turns
--------------
Dickie told us that one of the best things we could do for our
telemark turn is make parallel turns 50% of the time, especially
if we come from a parallel background.  Skiing parallel allows us
to leverage all of the experience, muscle memory and instinct we
have garnered over the years.  Instead of making one run parallel
and one run telemark, he encouraged us to switch back and forth
every couple of turns on every run.  Eventually, the goal is to
allow the right turn to happen at the right time as conditions
dictate, with little consious thought on our part.  We made a run
or two making both telemark and parallel turns.

Next we spent some time working on the freeheel parallel turn and
discussing some of the differences between freeheel and locked heel.
The biggest issue here was the need for more exaggerated up and down
motion.  Dickie mentioned one of my favorite memory cues / focal
points; driving the outside hand through the turn.  After rising up
and into the fall line, finish the turn by (thinking about) driving
the outside hand down and forward through the turn.  The actual amount
of "driving" the hand is minimal, almost non-existant.  The trick is
more of a focal point and less of a movement.  Driving the outside
hand down is a way of focusing energy and weight to the outside ski
and is a memory trick to remember to drop down into the turn.  Going
into the next turn, "lift" your hands with your legs by standing up
into the fall line again.

We also talked about the difference in flexing our knees and ankles
on free heel gear.  On alpine (in the old days) we were taught to
drive our shins into our boot tongues to make the turn.  Dickie pointed
out that we simply couldn't do this on free heel gear so our flexing
had to be more straight down onto the whole foot; more centered.  My
focal point for this is to think about pulling my toes up as I sink
down.

Dickie also talked about need to be able to make "greasy" (a.k.a.
skidded) turns in parallel mode.  We talked about using less
edging, instead of more, and using this to scrub speed.  We did
this in conjuction with working on an exagerated up and down
motion.

Telemark Turns and Body Position
--------------------------------
Next we began to focus more on the telemark turn and our body
position.  Again, all of this time was spent without poles.

The first part of the discussion was spent discussing the
some of the differences between the old-school, low tele
stance and the new-school, higher tele stance.  Among other
things, Dickie pointed out that the higher stance was less
tiring and it allowed for more effective edging.  The comments
on edging gave me the opportunity to ask a question on tele
anticipation, a subject that has long confused me.

I noted that in a NATO clinic several years ago, I was told
that in tele, the hips rotated through the turn.  In Paul
Parker's book, he refers to this as "punching the hip through
the turn".  Dickie quipped that the instructor who told me
this no longer works for him!  More importantly, the idea is
an old-school, low tele idea.  With a taller stance with the
rear foot tucked in close to the lead foot, the hips can be
square to the fall line, in a manner similar to alpine
anticipation -- or at least more so.  The advantage here is
that it is possible to use some degree of hip angulation
when the hip is not rotated; something that is much more
difficult, if not impossible, with the hip rotated.

We spent several runs playing with counter-rotation.  Dickie
noted that counter-rotation has to be a more consious actitivity
for tele skiers compared to alpine.  He expressed it as keeping
your coat zipper facing the fall line.  I found it more helpful
to key on driving my INSIDE hand through the turn.  I imagined
a chord attaching my inside hand with my inside (uphill) hip.
As I drove my inside hand across my body and down the hill, I
imagined the cord pulling my inside hip forward (square to the
fall line) and up (angulation).

Summarizing the work on body position in the tele and parallel
turns:
For parallel, drive the outside hand through the turn.
For tele, drive the inside hand through the turn.

Make Friends With Your Back Foot
--------------------------------
The focus of the last part of the day was on getting weight
to back foot.  Dickie noted that former alpine skiers want
to put their weight on the downhill foot, which means the
rear foot gets litte to weight.  And former xc skiers want
to stride out into a tele, again putting weight on the front
ski instead of the rear one.  To get the point across we
worked with 2 different drills: the goofy-foot and the
short-swing transition.

The goofy-foot is a reverse telemark.  I've also heard this
called a kramelet.  It looks somewhat similar to a parallel
turn in that at the end of the turn, the inside (uphill) ski
is forward and the outside (downhill) ski is back.  The
difference is that the outside (downhill) heel is up in a
tele-like position.

Dickie introduced us to this by having us do a telemark to
one side and a goofy-foot to the other, so that we didn't
need to make a lead change from turn to turn.  The feeling is
very bizzare at first, especially if you are doing it with
no poles.  The sensation is not entirely different from learning
the Royal Christey, if you are familiar with that.  The
secret is to ski almost entirely off of the rear foot; essentially
you are skiing on one foot, or at least it feels that way
at first.

While we all howled in protest at first, the effects were
immediate and obvious.  People with low-slung, knee dragging
low tele stances stood up and immediately got their rear
foot up under their butts.  Ex-alpiner, front foot skiing
fake-amarkers got onto their back feet.  We made several runs
playing with goofy-foot (still with out poles).

[Side note, Dickie showed us how to sweep on hand back and
forth in front of us as we made goofy-foot turns (with no
lead change).  "Look! I'm a snowboarder!"  Great fun
except that after we tried it, we all had the urge to
sit in the snow and bum cigarettes from eachother.]

A personal note, I am very much still a front footed
skier so getting on the rear foot made me feel like
Crumb's Keep on Truckin' character.

After we got the hang of the goofy-foot, we moved on to
the goofy-foot with a lead change.  And after that, the
reverse goofy-foot with a lead change (a.k.a. the telemark).

By common agreement, this drill was THE plateau buster of
the day.   Overheard in the lift line, "This blows my mind!"
Dickie's admonision in wrapping up was to ski 50% parallel,
50% telemark and 50% goofy-foot.   The point was well taken.

The last drill of the day was related to working off of the
back foot with an eye towards short radius turns.  The first
part of the progression was to stand in place and quickly and
smoothly drop in to a tele stance, first on one foot then on
the other.  The idea was to bunch and land down on the rear
foot with each shuffle.

The next step in the progression was to do the same tele
shuffle in a moving straight run.  This is best done on a
very slight slope on which you have no desire or need to
turn.  Again, the focus was to bounce slightly with each
shuffle and to land predominantly on the back foot.  Having
attempted and failed at this drill before, I think it also
easier to get a hang of this without poles, as you are
free to concentrate on the foot work without worrying about
the pole plant which can be added in later.

Finally, the next step was to do the shuffle at the same
pace on slightly steeper run making only a fraction of a
turn with each shuffle/bounce.  This only works for me if
you land on the rear ski.   So there it is, the foundations
for a tele short-swing.

Summary
=======
1) Mix up my turns: parallel, tele and goofy.
2) Focus on the outer hand in parallel (exagerated up and down)
   Focus on the inner hand in tele (counter-rotate and angulate)
3) Use flats to practice the tele shuffle.