]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  April 2001, Week 4

MEDLIB-L April 2001, Week 4

"Donna M. Perzeski" <[log in to unmask]>

Donna M. Perzeski

Tue, 24 Apr 2001 16:24:48 -0400

Hi.  I've finally got all the responses together about the Medical Book
Jobbers.  Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer.  Also, Thanks
to our ListMom, Valerie, for forwarding archives that I missed.
Sincerely,
Donna Perzeski    [log in to unmask]
************
We have been using Rittenhouse, with mixed results. We do two "big"
orders in the Spring & Fall to take advantage of the 20% off sales.
Usually the service has been good, but on the last order we got two
copies of one book and didn't get one we ordered. We spent a lot of time
getting things fixed. They have a web site at:
http://www.rittenhouse.com

I plan to use them again, but if we have more problems I may need to
rethink that.
**************
I like Majors Scientific Books in Dallas.  They are at
http://www.majors.com.
***************
I order my books and , when available, other materials through
Rittenhouse Book Distributors. We have a proforma account here at the
School of Nursing for our students to use when ordering their textbooks.
It seems to work out.

The  phone number is 1-800-345-6485 and the Customer Service Manager is
Christine Endlich. They are located in King of Prussia, Pa.
*****************
I have been extremely pleased with Majors Scientific Books
(www.majors.com) and have used them for about 10 years.  They give at
least 10% discounts on most medical books, 12% on most Brandon-Hill
titles, and up to 30% on consumer health materials!  They do carry some
A/V & CD-ROM materials, though I've never ordered those, and have a
separate consumer health catalog.  Options are offered for MARCIVE
cataloging, etc.  About 4 years ago we tried a promotional offer through
Rittenhouse and it was a TOTAL disaster: wrong titles shipped, wrong
numbers of titles shipped, some stuff never arrived at all, and nobody
seemed able to clear it up.  Majors support staff are fantastic and
getting refunds (if needed) is easy.  I use their web site all the time
to check prices for current textbooks.  Only negative is that sometimes
Amazon.com is cheaper for the mainstream or consumer materials.  Good
service is hard to find, so I'm sticking with Majors.
*********************
In my previous life where I was the everything librarian (circulation,
acquisitions, cataloging, and reference), I used Brodart, but I found
them to be incredibly slow at getting the titles we needed. We also
ordered our books pre-cataloged and processed, but they did not always
have the records available and their records were skimpy to say the
least.  Despite my numerous complaints to their customer service,
nothing improved. Maybe this was because I was at a very small community
college, and compared to other colleges, we did not order much. My boss
would not let me use another vendor because "it had always been done
that way".
**********************
We have recently begun using American Overseas Book Co., 550 Walnut
Street,
Norwood, NJ.  So far so good.
*******************
It's been a while since I tried anyone else, but you can't beat Majors
Scientific Books. The online database is easy to use, your orders can be
looked up online, you can tell what is in stock, how much discount you
get, and whether a new edition is in the works. They have extensive
business titles in addition to medical. The employees are unfailingly
helpful.
*****************
We use Matthews at CCF & I find that they are wonderful to deal with.
We used to use Login Brothers (who are now out of business) & switched
to Matthews when Purchasing at CCF switched about 5+ years ago. I've
been very impressed with their service & responsiveness.
*****************
I've used Matthews, St. Louis, Mo. for years and have been very pleased
with their service.  1 800 633 2665 ( 800 MED BOOK)
***************
We have used Majors for 11 years and have been very happy with their
service and their book selection.  We do have to go to another vendor
for a lot of our consumer health information, but so far we've been able
to find what we need.
***************
I have used Majors Scientific Books for many years.  They have good
systems in place, and are responsive and reliable.  I especially like
their website both for finding info on specific titles, and for doing
online ordering.  For non-medical books I have a corporate account with
Barnes & Noble that works well.  I acquire what I need by going to their
nearby store, and use their "credit card" at the cash register.  They
offer 20% discount, and will invoice us for payment.
***************
We have been using Rittenhouse, see website at www.rittenhouse.com and
also started using Majors, http://www.majors.com
*********************
We access Matthews out of St. Louis suburb.  Good quick service plus
online site.
*************
I HIGHLY recommend Barton Business Services.  Give me a call
(216-486-7443) and I'll tell your more. Their website is at
www.bartonbooks.com and the phone is 800-244-5707.  You will want to
talk with Andy Sprecher.  I have used them for over 10 years and have
never had a problem.
***************
I have had a good experience with Matthews Medical Books.
******************
FROM  THE ARCHIVES, thanks to ListMom Valerie:

As many people told me, Login Brothers went out of business in 2000, so
that seems to leave only 3 major players who specialize in distributing
medical books:

Majors Scientific Books
1401 Lakeway Dr.
Lewisville, TX  75057
Phone:  800-633-1851

Matthews Medical Books
11559 Rock Island Court
Maryland Heights, MO  63043
Phone: 800-633-2665

Rittenhouse Book Distributors
511 Feheley Drive
King of Prussia, PA  19406
Phone:  800-345-6425

Some libraries use other sources, mostly for their non-medical books.
Those mentioned are listed below.   One person said the advantage of
using a medical book speciality vendor is that they tend to be faster
than the general academic vendors.  Several
people mentioned using a general academic vendor because of the
technical processing they can provide (cataloging, shelf-ready books,
etc.), or when a book is not available from the medical book vendor.

Other sources mentioned:
Academic Book Center (merged with Blackwell Books in 2000)
Amazon
Baker & Taylor
Barnes and Noble
Blackwell Books
Blackwell (Oxford) - for European imprints
Book House - for media
Borders
EbscoBooks
YBP