]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  May 2001, Week 1

SKIVT-L May 2001, Week 1

Sugarbush, VT & Spruce Peak, VT 21APR01 (1 video clip available)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 May 2001 11:19:52 -0400

Sugarbush, VT & Spruce Peak, VT 21APR01

    One of my friends from work (Weston) was planning to go for a
snowshoe hike with his brother from Boston.  Weston was looking for
something relatively easy, that wouldn't be too much of a stretch for a
half-day hike, and we consulted another colleague at work for
suggestions.  The suggestion of the Long Trail north out of Smuggler's
Notch eventually came out on top.  The plan was set, and E and I would
meet Weston & Co. at the entrance to route 108 on Saturday at noon.
Before that however, E and I decided to get in some turns at the 'bush;
with only two more weekends left of lift-serviced Sugarbush fun, we
wanted to get the most out of our passes.  We arrived at Sugarbush at
around 10:00 A.M., and took our first run out on one of my favorite
routes: Snowball / Ravenna's Way / Racer's Edge.  We decided to ride the
snowboards, since we'd been on them so few times this season.  The snow
was spectacular corn, with the coverage from our epic winter still
hanging in there wall-to-wall.  I can never get enough of cruising along
the ridge of upper Snowball, looking at the lowlands to the right and
left and forward, and feeling like you're just soaring down into the
valley.  It was one of those days with great sun that you wish would
never end.  We savored every turn, and had time for a second run in the
Super Bravo area before we had to leave for Stowe.  Murphy's Glades had
some small bumps, which were fun for us on the boards, but soon got big
enough that we decided to bail out to the smoother left side of the
trail.  Before we knew it, we were packing up the boards and heading to
Stowe.
    The drive to the parking area at route 108 took about 50 minutes,
and when we arrived, Weston, his wife Sarah, his brother Chad, and
Chad's finance Brooke were ready to go.  Weston, E, and I strapped our
snowboards on our packs with the intention of skiing the deserted trails
of Spruce Peak.  We hiked along route 108, the snow still several feet
deep, until we came to the start of the long trail heading north.  We
barely found it, since the sign was still buried in snow, and we had to
dig down to even be able to read that we were on the correct trail.
Finding the sign was nice, but aside from getting us at the correct
starting point, the trail was useless:  all the blazes were still buried
under the snow, and there were no tracks for us to follow.  Needless to
say, we quickly lost the trail and things became interesting...
    Having lost the trail, we started to follow a chute that was wide
open and took a very direct route up the mountain.  Those of us with
snowshoes soon found them to be a hindrance, since by this hour, the top
few inches of snow had become soft, and getting any traction on the
steep slope took a lot of work.  As we approached the top of the chute,
things became quite steep (I estimated the slope at 35 degrees) and the
travel became that much harder.  Sarah had a very close call as she
began to slide, but with the help of Weston and a small tree below her
in the middle of the chute (the first and only tree we had passed at
that point in the upper chute) she arrested before things got out of
hand.  Still, she was pretty shaken up, as anyone who has had a slide on
an open slope of 35 degrees can attest.  Things were very intense for a
few minutes there, while we debated the benefits of heading back down
the chute, or continuing on above.  We almost turned back, but Chad did
some reconnaissance up ahead and found a suitable way out of the top of
the chute into the shelter of trees and mellower grades.  Those of us
still wearing snowshoes had to remove them at the top of the chute,
things were just too steep and slippery in the wet snow.  We walked in
the steps that the others had kicked-in, and the going was much easier.
    Once out of the chute, everyone became much more at ease, aside from
the fact that those of the group unfamiliar with the area had little
confidence that we could find our way to the top of Spruce without a
real trail.  Weston and I had little doubt about finding our way to the
top of Spruce.  My only concern was whether or not we would get
cliffed-out and have to do some backtracking.  It was at this point that
a very strange thing happened... I looked back down towards the entrance
to the chute, and I couldn't help but feel a sense of familiarity with
it.  It was that entrance, that 10-15 feet of small tangled trees and
ice, that made something click in my head.  I though what a pain it
would be to go through there with skis on and try to get into the chute,
when

BAM!

It hit me.  I HAD been in this chute before!  I had SKIED this chute
before!  As we walked along southward below a band of icefalls, I
realized that we were in the territory of none other than Matt Duffy
himself!  THAT was the chute that E and I had skied with him (and from
what I understand, a whole host of other skiVTers)!  It looked a bit
different with spring snow and melted out conditions, but there was no
mistaking it now, this was the chute we had skied just four weeks
earlier with Matt!  I'm not sure of the real name for the chute, but I'm
sure somebody out there can help me out.  Everything came rushing back
to me now, the traversing, the snow, the scenery, the angle of
northbound route 108 that Matt has the ability to use as a compass for
this region - wow, it's a small world after all.  We soon noticed old
ski tracks in the snow (some of these had to be Matt's) and we were able
to follow them backwards and stick to the general trail.  We passed
other chutes that we had skied with Matt, it was amazing to see them
again in a new light.  After a while, those of us with snowshoes put
them back on, and the terrain was great for them again: lots of nice
open flat areas since many trees were still buried in snow.  We stopped
for a quick break about 300' below the summit, confident that we would
make it to the top.  Although the ski tracks faded away at times and we
lost the trail, we found it again, and maybe an hour or so after leaving
the chute, we were at the top of the Big Pig chairlift, actually called
the Big Spruce Double Chairlift (3390').
    The wind was coming in from the south at a pretty good clip as we
stood atop Spruce Peak, and soon, we all gathered inside the lift shack
to take in some well-earned food.  Sarah handed out Congo bars that she
had made (these are like chocolate-chip cookies in brownie form), they
were big enough to be a meal in and of themselves!  High clouds were
starting to obscure the sun, but we still had fantastic views to the
south and north.  To the west, the trails of Mt. Mansfield were
deserted; we'd scaled and trudged and post holed and scrambled our way
through most of the afternoon.  Below us, the trails of Spruce were also
deserted, and awaiting some turns from us.  Chad, Brooke, and Sarah
donned the snowshoes, and Weston, E and I strapped on our boards for the
run to the base.  We took the Sterling trail, which had a nice pitch for
those of us on boards, as well as those hiking down on snowshoes.  The
snow was super-carveable corn, and it was a treat to ride on the vacant
slopes and not worry about a thing.  We worked our way over to the big
meadow area and finished off with some sweet turns in the huge expanse.
I can't believe how much snow was still there for the end of April, that
meadow faces almost directly to the south and is usually on it's way out
by the beginning of April.  We finished off with a short hike over to
the cars, and a trip to the Shed for refreshment.  Get this, the Shed
has root beer on their menu, but hasn't carried it in ages!  A number of
us were bummed about that one, since Weston had planted the seed of a
nice tall root beer somewhere back during the thirstier times of our
hike.

Unfortunately, since the hike up to the peak was such a trying ordeal, I
didn't get a chance to get any hiking video until we were at around
3000' and took the quick break.  But, I put together a small video of
our exploits on Spruce Peak (1 min 20 sec, 13.8 MB) which can be
accessed at the following address:

http://www.uvm.edu/~jsilveir/spruce.mov

J.Spin