SKIVT-L May 2001, Week 2

*** The Colorado Skier Part 2 ***

Mark Wallace <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 May 2001 08:07:53 -0600

Part 2 - Section 5+

=======================

5.  POTPOURRI

a.  NELSAP - The New England Lost Ski Areas Project is a most
excellent web site (www.nelsap.org) which provides detailed histories
and statistics on 350 closed New England ski areas.  NELSAP is the
brainchild of Jeremy Davis whom we are proud to call friend.

This winter Jeremy and his posse (Betsy and Chris) skied Colorado for
the first time.  We met them for dinner.  Would you believe that the
four of us talked "lost ski areas" for 4 hours?  These fine folks
encouraged us to get back into writing TCS newsletters.  So here we
are.  Thanks, guys.

b.  IS UTAH READY?

Two years ago we made some cynical comments about the state of
readiness (or non-readiness) of the Utah 2002 Winter Olympics
facilities.  On a recent visit we updated our thinking.  The Alpine
Downhill course at Snow Basin is ready.  The new access road is open.
The big jumps and bobsleigh track at the Utah Winter Sports Park
(Kimball Junction) are ready.  The Cross Country facilities have
already been used for events.  One of the problem areas had been the
Speed Skating stadium, but it is now ready and has completed its first
trial.  The Olympic Village is moving along.  The only problem area
seems to be the lack of a transportation plan.

c.  COLORADO SEASON TICKETS - The price wars continue.  Two seasons
ago the "Buddy Pass" was started by Winter Park and Copper Mtn.  For
$800 ($200 each) you could buy 4 season passes (if you had 3 friends).
Keystone and Breck joined in.  The next season the price went up to
about $225 each.  This past season the price jumped to about $250.
Vail Resorts had the best deal:  Unlimited skiing at Breck, Keystone,
and A-basin, plus 10 days at either Vail or Beaver Creek (with some
date restrictions).

We just received an ad from Winter Park - Ski Winter Park and Copper
Mtn next season for $349.  Or for $249, just Winter Park.  Currently
Vail is selling "The Colorado Pass" (with the deal described above)
for $319 and "The Buddy Pass", without the Vail/Beaver Creek option,
for $249.

Two drawbacks for all of these passes - they are only for sale in the
late Spring and early Fall and you have to buy them in person - in
Colorado.

d.  SKIP KING - Skip King is the American Skiing Company Vice
President for Communications (or whatever).  Upon hearing that TCS was
about to publish another newsletter, Skip wrote to say that he
expected to see his name (Skip King) mentioned several times.  Sorry
Mr. King.  We seldom mention personal names (like Skip King) in this
newsletter.  And we almost never use last names (like King).  Sorry
Skip.

6.  THE LET'S DO SALT LAKE CITY TRIP

The "Let's Do SLC" (LDS) trip was our fall foliage and ski area trip
for 2000.  We visited about 16 open and closed ski areas in CO and UT.
Here are some highlights:

BERTHOUD PASS - They have a small ski history museum on the 2nd floor
of the (ancient) base lodge.  Mostly it just has old pix of Berthoud,
but they are fun.

SILVERCREEK - We are starting a new trivia theme - ski areas with
closed terrain and/or lifts (see Section 3).  SilverCreek removed a
chairlift a few years back and then funneled the serviced ski runs
back to the base area.  We drove up above the condos which the
chairlift used to service.  Aha!  The chairlift remnants are clearly
visible.

STEAMBOAT - "Tread of Pioneers" is a nice little museum downtown with
an excellent section on the history of Steamboat skiing.  After
studying the exhibits for an hour we went to the front desk to ask a
few questions.  It quickly became apparent that we knew more than they
did.  How embarrassing for both of us!

PARK CITY - Our first visit since they removed the gondola.  Sad.

THE CANYONS - Wow!  On our last visit, an old small base lodge and
dirt parking lot.  Now a whole village with hotels and condos has been
built.

GORGOZA - The base lodge and lifts for this Lost Ski Area have been
removed.  Now there are handle tows and lights for tubing.  The base
lodge consists of two yurts.  Nice paved and lighted parking lot.

OGDEN - There are three ski areas up the canyon east of Ogden, in a
beautiful valley.  This was our first visit.  NORDIC VALLEY is a
throwback to old-time skiing.  Two classic old HALL double chairlifts
running up what looks like a farmer's field.  The base lodge looks
like a barn  (probably was) and the "outbuildings" contain the ski
patrol, lift ticket sales, ski school, etc.

POWDER MOUNTAIN - This is the first ski area we have visited that has
no skilifts visible from the main parking lot and base lodge.  Weird!

SNOW BASIN - Unfortunately the ski area access road was closed the day
we were there.  However, the view from the valley up at the mountain
is spectacular.  Lots of jagged mountains containing ski runs.  The
view back down must be great as well.

7.  LETTERS, WE GET LETTERS

During our two year hiatus, we received several dozen letters (e-
mails).  About one-third were Sunday River Trip Reports from Bruce
Leslie.  Bruce provides very detailed reports including items like the
color of his wife Penny's new ski hats, and the length of his daughter
Anne's new shaped skis - plus which expert runs she now skis with
ease.  If Bruce had home videos of these trips we could probably
create a skiing soap opera like "As The Bullwheel Turns" or maybe
"Bringing in the Sheaves".  Just kidding  Bruce, keep those TRs
coming!

Another third of the letters were questions like "Why is the last TCS
newsletter dated Dec 98?" and "What happened to TCS?"  Thanks for
caring.

The final third were lost ski area comments and questions.  We will
try to respond in upcoming newsletters and a few personal replies.  If
you are desperate for an answer, ask again - you might just jump to
the top of the queue.

For those who asked:  We have complete our Lost Idaho research but
haven't published the results yet.  That will happen sometime after
Lost Utah.  Lost California is another matter.  We have identified 134
lost California areas so far and the research is far from complete.
Maybe 2003.

As always, we will provide data on individual areas at any time.  Ask
away.

8.  OUR PET PEEVES        The following items annoy us:

a.  Ski areas (like Keystone) which groom every run perfectly flat.

b.  Ski areas (like Keystone) which have snowgun hydrants in the
middle of some runs, rather than at the sides, out of the way of
skiers.

c.  Ski areas which make snow during operating hours - thus requiring
the runs to be closed or for us to ski thru a blizzard.

d.  OT - Cell phones - in general;  Cell phones in use in public
places;
Cell phones in use in vehicles.

And:  The TV ad showing the has-been actress prancing barefoot on a
beach while talking on her phone and prattling on and on about free
weekends.  If we have a chance to run barefoot on the beach on a
weekend, the last thing we want is a telephone.  Beaches on weekends
are a time and place to get away from phones, and from work, friends,
and relatives.  If you have to talk to friends and relatives at the
beach - bring them with you!

e.  OT - Whitney Houston - Gee we haven't picked on old Witless in a
long time.  Fortunately she has stopped singing and acting so - not a
problem.  However, since last we talked:  1)  About a year ago,
witless appeared on an awards show just a little stoned;  2)  She was
hired to sing on the 2000 Oscar awards TV show and was fired after the
first day of rehearsals - couldn't handle it (her replacement, Faith
Hill, did a great job).   3)  She tried to board a plane in Honolulu
carrying just a little more Mary Jane than the legal limit.  For this
last infraction, Witless was fined $5,000 and required to do community
service - which in this case meant a promise NOT to perform in Hawaii
for two years!  ;-)

f.  UGLY CARS  -  Our vote for the ugliest vehicle made in North
America is the PONTIAC AZTEK, narrowly edging out the CHEVY AVALANCHE.
GM rules!

9.  EPILOG

a.  Please provide your CITY NAME (and YOUR first and last name) in
your first E-Mail to TCS.  Why?  We can't remember but it seemed
important once.

b.  If you would like to be ADDED to the TCS (direct E-Mail) mailing
list, notify MARK at:  "[log in to unmask]"

c.  Past TCS Newsletters are available on the WWW.  The URL is:
      http://www.nyx.net/~mwallace/TCS/     Enjoy

d.  Due next:  "TCS TRIVIA - 27"  (whenever)

  Cheers from THE COLORADO SKIER

"Not to perambulate the corridors during the hours of repose in the
boots of ascension."    (sign in an Austrian ski hotel)