MEDLIB-L June 2001, Week 2

Leann Isaac <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:01:56 -0000

Wow! What a response! Nearly 50 of you weighed in on these two databases.
Below is the summary of all replies (please forgive any snipping but I tried
to make this as short as possible). I'd like to thank everybody individually
but I think they'd start playing the music to get me off the stage. :)  So a
BIG THANK YOU to everybody who replied.

By the way, I think we're going to keep CINAHL but perhaps go with CINAHL
Direct instead of our current CD-ROM - resulting in a huge price cut. (Cost
is, afterall, a big factor unfortunately.)

Thanks again!
Leann Isaac
Jameson Health System Library
New Castle PA

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

We have 4 nursing schools in our area and the students much prefer to use
the full text databases we have instead of finding abstracts on Silver
Platter's CINAL.  It rarely gets used.

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Most of the journals on CINAHL are not on PubMed in my experience. PubMed
uses the International Nursing Index and it only shares some titles with
CINAHL. CINAHL is getting more and more titles in full text so why would you
want to drop it? Try some searches you are doing in PubMed in CINAHL and I
think you will soon see the difference if you use the right descriptors for
each system they are very different in some cases.

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

I'm a VERY small library as well, and I have CINAHL and use PUBMED more than
any other dbase as well. I find CINAHL to be useful when the nurses come w/
specific questions relating to nursing. CINAHL is a good search tool because
it focuses on Nursing, and not Psych, or other specialty. But I have
wondered too, if the money spent on CINAHL could be used elsewhere, say to
purchase more books, etc.

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

If you are dealing with Nursing school students, I do suggest you have both
products.  CINHAL does the indexing using nursing terminology, vs pub med
using Mesh heading.
For nurses it will be easier to search CINHAL.
A suggestion, see if you could get the product as an internet product and
make it available to student on your network, or make the CD available on
the network as well.
If I were you I will not cancel the subscription to CINHAL.

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

There is a 67% overlap between Medline and CINAHL.  CINAHL also provides
some other publication types: audiovisuals, computer programs,
dissertations, books, book chapters, and critical paths.  When I do searches
for nurses (undergrad and grad nursing students and some practicing nurses)
here, I frequently do a search in both CINAHL and Medline and always find
unique items in CINAHL.  CINAHL's controlled vocabulary is also better
equipped to handle some of the topics the nurses here come up with.  A lot
of the nurses here prefer us to search for them, too.  And, it makes sense.
They're busy and recognize our expertise and ability to perform better
searches faster for them.  (Plus we only charge $3.)

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

When I was a director of a health sciences library, I had the same dilemma,
keep CINAHL for political reasons or cut it because nobody used it.  I cut
it and emphasized to my classes with nurses that Medline has a lot of
nursing journals and they don't do the harder to get obscure ones, that the
indexing is better and it is free and available on their home computer.  I
got no complaints.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

My own (somewhat jaded) opinion is that much of the stuff in cinahl that's
NOT in medline is apt to be pretty hard-to-find material, not readily
available through ILL without $$$.  There's so much nursing material
available in medline that I question having everybody get all excited about
the more obscure cinahl items...

But then, I'm in a small hosp. library, not a school of nursing library  -
that makes a difference too.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

     I am like you.  It is easier to just do it, than to keep showing them.
(I guess that is why the library usage is going down, but my searches and
time is increasing!  Do you have this problem?)  CINAHL does have lots of
things that are so hard to get and costly to receive and the nursing
students want them (and do not want to pay) I prefer showing Pubmed and
narrowing to Nursing sub set. They can also use this at home, where as the
CD cannot be.  Generally the students do not need everything they can get
(comprehensive search), but just an article or two concerning their current
patient's disease.  I too have been considering dropping the CINAHL because
of the cost.  This will probably be a controversial issue since lots of
folks (who have money) think the CD-ROM products are so much better than
pubmed.   We use OVID.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

NLM does have a nursing subset which is the same as the International
Nursing Index, not CINAHL.  CINAHL is by far much more comprehensive.
However, that said, part of it would depend on your collection.  If you have
just some of the Brandon Hill basics, then Pubmed may suit your needs.  We
also find CINAHL much more comprehensive for the rehab professions as well.
One thing I don't like about CINAHL is that they have included a lot of
"newsy" type stuff, announcements that are only one page, etc.

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

You're asking several questions--

1. Are there advantages for using CINAHL over PubMed/MEDLINE to search the
nursing literature. Definitely yes.  The thesaurus CINAHL uses for indexing
the nursing literature is much closer to the terminology  that nurses
actually use. CINAHL also provides many value added features, though for
diploma/AD students, many of these are lost on them.

2. Should I get rid of my CD subscription to CINAHL.
Probably. I would suggest you investigate replacing it with an online
subscription to CINAHL and provide the userid/password to your students. You
will, of course, have to price this to determine if you can do it for a
similar price. This assumes that internet access is available from the
library so you will be able to search from there.

3. Does MEDLINE index most of the same journals as CINAHL.
There is a fair amount of material in CINAHL which is not in MEDLINE, but
the overlap is pretty complete for the major titles of interest.

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Of the 1,200 journals indexed in Cinahl, 689 of them are also indexed in
Medline.  (I looked everyone one of them up!) The remaining journals are
either foreign published (i.e. Annals of Saudi Medicine), in a foreign
language, are heavily chiropractic-related, or are so off the wall that no
one has ever heard of.

Cinahl requires a login and password or it requires maintenance (as in on
the network).  Pubmed requires none of that, thus saving staff time (IS and
library). Pubmed is updated weekly, whereas Cinahl (depending upon the
vendor) monthly or quarterly.

Pubmed is accessible anywhere you have Internet access and has an unlimited
number of users.  Cinahl is only on the network or if via the Internet, only
has x number of users.

You can search Pubmed for nursing materials, either by limiting the journal
subset to nursing (I don't like that as much) or by using the nursing
subheading in your search (I prefer that - much better retrieval) And
finally, Pubmed is FREE. Well, I was able to convince them to get rid of the
online version of Cinahl, and agreed to the cheaper Cinahl books.  I saved
$1,600 as a result.

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Well, you can lead a nurse to CINAHL, but you can't give her/him the time to
use it! I'm in the same situation here---only a handful of people are doing
their own searches. They are just too busy even if they know how.

About CINAHL vs PUBMED: I only added CINAHL this year. I was amazed at the
difference in nutrition and allied health resources, especially in areas
like physical therapy. I would say that the major core nursing journals are
about the same. My advise would be to run the same searches in both
databases for about a week. Limit Pubmed to the nursing subset so that you
can compare nursing to nursing and see if there is much difference in the
retrieval. You might want to throw in some searches for other disciplines,
like nutrition and physical therapy, just to see if you find as much of a
difference as I did. If you do very little in those areas, you may not need
CINAHL. I subscribe to CINAHL Direct, so don't have to mess with the dreaded
CD Roms. I don't know the difference in cost or full text access.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

One of the reasons I keep CINAHL (Ovid vendor) is for the full text PDF
files that come along with it. The cost recently went up to $1,269 for my
stand-alone version. Although some of the journal titles are overlaps what
is covered in the journals is very often not. Medline only indexes what it
thinks is of import (and we know how highly md's regard nursing journals).
For the time being I am keeping CINAHL and hope for some future type of
group buy. Why don't you insist that they do the search before they come to
you -- a "let me see what you've got and we'll go from there" attitude. Some
students are very lazy and whiney. I'm not their mother and they will keep
on using I can't as long as it works. PS. You might try doing a trial number
of searches in both databases and see if the difference warrants keeping
both. But as long as I had nursing students and nurses I would stick to
CINAHL
since their coverage is more "how-to" oriented.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

If they always want you to do the searches, maybe you should take it as a
compliment. CINAHL does have a lot of content that's not found on PubMed.

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888

My experience is that 1) CINAHL indexes a lot more nursing and
allied health titles than does NLM (a significant number IMHO) and 2) the
CINAHL thesaurus is much better suited to the nursing field than is MeSH.  I
have both CINAHL and Medline and would not drop CINAHL.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

I'm a librarian at the Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, a publishing house
that used to produce the International Nursing Index (formerly, a
publication of the American Journal of Nursing Company). The INI is a
printed counterpart of nursing subset of MEDLINE.  Currently,  Lippincott
Williams & Wilkins discontinued the INI because of decline of print sales.
However, the vast majority of the nursing journals included in the INI will
continue to be indexed by the National Library of Medicine. About a year ago
or so, I prepared a special comparison chart of CINAHL and INI (e.g. nursing
subset of MEDLINE).

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

NLM doesn't index as many nursing journals as CINAHL.  CINAHL also covers
some of the day to day legal aspects better.  The over lap is big if I
remember a couple of years ago doing a review against Medline. (I'll see if
I can find my review to give you better numbers.  However, some of the
journals that are in PUBMED from Healthstar don't have abstracts (you are
only searching the title and MESH terms) so if you do drop CINAHL you will
need to train the students to use MESH terms instead of just keyword
searching.  We all know that NLM indexing terms don't match what a normal
student would put in.  Also that means that any text words

Maybe you should look into the price of getting CINAHL without going through
SilverPlatter.  I know they are now putting the database out themselves.
Cutting out the middle man may save you some money.  Make sure you read
their license carefully.  But I would say that with anyone.

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

I would read the following articles.
: Brazier H, Begley CM.
Selecting a database for literature searches in nursing: MEDLINE or CINAHL?
J Adv Nurs. 1996 Oct;24(4):868-75.
PMID: 8894905 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

2: Burnham J, Shearer B.
Comparison of CINAHL, EMBASE, and MEDLINE databases for the nurse
researcher.
Med Ref Serv Q. 1993 Fall;12(3):45-57.
PMID: 10132288 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

3: Okuma E.
Selecting CD-ROM databases for nursing students: a comparison of MEDLINE and
the
Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature (CINAHL).
Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1994 Jan;82(1):25-9.
PMID: 8136757 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

I'm testing the CINAHL online through Ebsco and it is great. Wish I the
funds to buy the full text to go with the CINAHL. I've tried that through
Penn State's system, I'm getting tired of filling out ILLs and worrying
about copyright compliance issues. Such is our life as School of Nursing
Librarians!

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

I am also a very small one person library.  The only cd-rom I subscribe to
is CINAHL.  I went three years without it because I didn't feel it was worth
keeping.  In that three years, I continued to use the cd-rom for 1997 which
was when I let the subscription end. I found I missed it terribly.  Not all
questions can be answered well on PubMed.  There are many times when the
best database for nursing questions is on CINAHL.
The next time you have a nursing search to do, run it on both PubMed and
CINAHL and compare your results.  There will be a huge cross over of
articles, but you will also find stuff on CINAHL that didn't pop up on
PubMed.  I have found it is necessary to keep it, even though it is probably
only used once or twice a month.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

My impresision was that some of the major nursing journals were in
PubMed...but not all...

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

this article may be helpful. I wonder if part of your problem could also be
Silver Platter. I have heard so many complaints. Now that Ovid has purchased
them, there may be improvements.
------------------------------
Brazier: J Adv Nurs, Volume 24(4).October 1996.868-875

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888
Your presumption that "most of the journals indexed in CINAHL are also in
PubMed" isn't really true.  CINAHL has a more comprehensive coverage, and
also has FULL TEXT DOCUMENTS of policies and procedures, journal articles,
Care paths,  etc.
I would argue for teaching folks to use PubMed, and relying on that, if
CINAHL isn't getting much usage.  PubMed is free, and available from home,
and will "always be there".
If these are nursing students, I say teach them to use PubMed in addition to
CINAHL, find out the differences and explain them to students.  Once they
leave your institution, they will have to pay for access to CINAHL
themselves, its not free.  PubMed on the other hand, is free and will help
them in their careers, by providing access to not only the health science
literature, but also consumer health information.
888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

We're using CINAHL as well as Medline through Ebsco together with a host of
proprietary databases with full text. I normally do cross file searching
including both large databases as well as the unique Ebsco files because
there is some uniqueness to what they index and how they present it. I would
opt to keep CINAHL largely because you have a nursing school if for no other
reason. Add to that CINAHL's indexing of monographs and many nursing titles
not indexed by NLM and you have a justification.

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

I am not sure that comparing CINAHL and MEDLINE via PubMed is a good
comparison, either. To get the full scoop on comparison of journal coverage,
contact your CINAHL vendor and get a list of the journals covered.  To get a
list of the journals covered in PubMed, see this web page. CINAHL is a very
specialized nursing database and is a comprehensive database that covers
many areas, including nursing, pharmacology, surgery, and medical
specialties, but it may not cover all the specialty nursing journals you
will need. I have personally worked in a library at a school where there was
a nursing program. When I first started there, no one used any of the
databases, including CINAHL. Once I started to create handouts and
pathfinders, passing them out to anyone who would listen, including giving
copies to faculty, administration, staff, and students, as well emphasizing
them heavily in the BI sessions I did, the databases became used much more
regularly.  We used both PubMed and CINAHL at that library, just like we use
both IPA (a pharmaceutical database) and MEDLINE to get comprehensive
searches.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

if the students are not going to search the CD-ROM version anyway, I'd
recommend going with CINAHL Direct, their online version.  You can pay for
as many hours of searching as you think you'll need, but it's cheap.  Last
August, I paid $120 for 40 hours of search time, and doubt I'll even use all
of that in a year.  The reason?  CINAHL only charges you for the time their
computer is actually working on your query - not for the time you are
connected to their site!  I believe this price does not include network
licensing, but if the students aren't using it anyway it would be great for
you. Another CD-ROM product for nurses (RN-dex?; 1-800-200-6040) runs
$375/yr for a single-station license with two updates a year...  Not sure
how that compares to CINAHL on CD-ROM.  We had an earlier version several
years ago, but found our
CD's just weren't used at all, so we got out of that business entirely.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

CINAHL is "Cummulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health"  It indexes the
professional journals of the allied health fields - PT, OT, Lab,
Respiratory, etc.  It also selectively indexes mainstream journals that have
a significant article about medicine.  It selectively indexes the medical
journals.

That said, what CINAHL is good for is the journals of nursing specialties
(and the allied health ones).  These are not indexed in PubMed.  PubMed does
Nursing, RN, AJN, AORN and a few others.  I am in a small hospital with
staff that are returning for their advanced degrees.  Their research
requires "peer-reviewed" journals.  Nursing, RN & AJN are not peer-reviewed.

Most beginning students use AJN, RN, and Nursing as their articles are
general and good for the new students and grads.  The other issue is you
doing their searches.  Maybe, you could discuss this with a few of the
nursing instructors and have them add literature searching added to their
classes.  They could bring a class in for one or two sessions of orientation
to library materials and searching techniques.  I work in a community
college library one evening a week and many English and History classes do
just that.  The students come back and ask for help with the techniques, but
the orientation sets up the process by which they know they are expected to
do the research, not have the librarian do it for them!

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Does the nursing faculty require students to use articles for their
assignments? Probably not, if students aren't using it. Perhaps the faculty
(or a selected  member of the faculty) could be approached with the issue of
what sorts of resources they want the students to be using.  Also ask if
they want the students to be doing the searching themselves. Our nursing
school, for  example, does not want librarians searching for the students,
as the faculty feels that learning to search is a part of the professional
education.

If CINAHL is used very rarely, maybe the best bet is to go with
CINAHLdirect, where you can purchase so many hours per year. There's more
info on  www.cinahl.com.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

As a former Director of a Nursing Library, I could not let your message go
unanswered. I noticed someone on the site was the first to answer and he was
the correct they are not the same databases. Nurses need Cinahl although
they
might not be enough experienced to do their own searching. I taught lots of
nurses to use the Silver Platter database and then in Georgia we got Cinahl
on Gallileo which uses different search structure. They still need the basic
search information so if you can give them that on Pubmed it would be
helpful. I have found sometimes the dissertations on Cinahl to be helpful to
Hospital Librarians but the most helpful is the state nursing journals which
are in Cinahl. My Interlibrary Loans were often to Glendale which is the
home
of Cinahl as they have copies of all articles and some they can send for a
fee. I had some doctors that wanted Nursing information to give to patients
as it was more readable. The bottom line is if you give it away make sure
you
have access some way. The local university is one case. I would expect that
Peg Allen will contact you as she is an excellent source on Nursing
Information and Resources and will not let your note to Medlib go without
stating something. Please do keep searching for your staff as that is one
way
to get them hooked.

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Sixty percent of the coverage of CINAHL is also covered on MEDLINE, leaving
forty percent of unique material in CINAHL.  The coverage of CINAHL is
directed at nurses and you are a nursing hospital.  It seems to me that each
discipline has resources that are unique to it and CINAHL fits the bill for
nurses.  Yes, the cost factor is important.  I also feel it is our job as
librarians to help people determine the best sources for their needs.  While
the nurses may or may not have access to CINAHL later in their careers, I
would think they deserve to be exposed to it heavily in school and learn to
put it in their toolbox of skills. I try to expose the allied health
students and the nurses at my facility to CINAHL to widen the resources that
they have. Anyway, just my own rantings for all its worth.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

I dropped it two years ago, then went looking for an alternative when the VP
of Nursing said YOU DID WHAT????? CINAHL, how can we live without my beloved
CINAHL??!!?? Turns out she was a CINAHL freak. But you're right, no one uses
it. And that rendition was so clumsy and useless, yet others so expensive. I
really wanted to buy either OVID with full-text - since most of the RNs rip
off the nursing journals or Aries Systems but both were out of our Maine
small community hospital's (80 beds) price range. So we make do with the
nursing subset of PubMed -- and no one is complaining.

Did you know that SilverPlatter has been puchased by OVID? So I imagine that
OVID will be offering a different product or only CINAHL as part and parcel
of the big OVID anyway. BTW, I've left that hospital very recently. Big
Nurse finally got to me... Tred carefully.

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

CINAHL indexes more of the allied health and nursing literature.  Even if
most of your patrons are physicians rather than nurses, I like the CINAHL
database because it covers more psychosocial, emotional, and spiritual
aspects of health and illness.  It might cover more of the cultural aspects,
too.  The nursing and allied health professions have some different duties
from physicians, and therefore, their literature may also cover these duties
more in depth than in PubMed, which indexes more of the "physician"
literature.

Here's some nice handouts:
What's the difference between MEDLINE and PubMed?
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/factsheets/dif_med_pub.html

What's the difference between MEDLINEplus, MEDLINE and PubMed
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/faq/difference.html

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Beyond the points made by others, note that CINAHL has its own thesaurus.
While MeSH based, it adds many nursing & allied health terms  and concepts
not in MeSH.  So, when you get one of those searches where you need this,
you will be really glad you have CINAHL.

As others have noted, PubMed does not cover as many of the peer-reviewed
nursing journals.  My Key Nursing Journals chart is being updated for 2001.
The new title is Key and Electronic Nursing Journals, to indicate my attempt
to include all nursing journals available electronically (but not including
state & provincial "journals," except J NY State Nurses Assn (they also
publish a newsletter like the others).  The other titles on the list are
generally on one of the standard lists or peer-reviewed or publish a
significant amount of research.  This chart will replace the one on the
NAHRS website at
http://www.library.kent.edu/nahrs/resource/reports/specrpts.htm  as soon as
I'm resonably certain that I have complete Research % statistics for 2000.

If you are anxious to receive the chart by Monday, please e-mail me and I'll
send current draft electronically.  It is a very large Word file. The reason
I didn't respond earlier today is that I am in Poplar Bluff Missouri to
teach a hands-on CINAHL session as part of an AHEC/RML sponsored workshop
for public health professionals (drove all day to get here; teaching
Thursday & Friday.  NAHRS Mapping colleagues: would you believe coding
mapping data while my husband drove?).  In the motel I'm accessing the
Internet at long distance rates (workshop is at a community college with T-3
lines, thank goodness!), so I don't want to be online for any length of time
(offline while writing).  Therefore, I'd prefer to send files when I'm back
in the home office next week.

At MLA, it was announced that the 2000 cumulation of International Nursing
Index will be the last published (by Lippincott, publisher of AJN, formerly
owned by ANA).  In the future, nursing journals added to MEDLINE will need
to meet the same evaluation criteria as those selected for Indexs Medicus.
Remember, Index Medicus is selective for biomedicine, while the CINAHL
database aims for comprehensive coverage of nursing, allied health
(including health sciences librarianship), alternative therapies, and
consumer health.  Whether selective or comprehensive is "better" is a matter
of opinion.  You can be selective when searching CINAHL if you take full
advantage of the journal subsets - including core nursing, type of peer
review, and country of publication - or by using the wide range of
publication  types, including Research, CEU, Pictorial, Systematic Review,
Teaching Materials, to name just a few.

Another note on journals:  the Cinahl website includes a lists of titles
indexed in two places in the Library section. The Jouranl List is a pdf
file, current as of May 16, 2001.  The Journal Directory lists titles
beginnig with each letter of the alphabet.  It also has lists for 32
disciplines and 11 broad subject/format categories.

One other website directory that notes whether something is indexed in
CINAHL is DIRECTORY OF ELECTRONIC HEALTH SCIENCES JOURNALS
at :  http://www.med.monash.edu.au/shcnlib/dehsj/

thoughts:

1. Not all offer *complete content* of the full-text in CINAHL - for an
article on Ways to access the CINAHL database that has a vendor chart
indicating how they handle the full-text fields, please e-mail me  same
disclaimer as above.  There are 12,308 full-text records in CINAHL (per
website, as of March, 2001)

2. Remember, vendor software (including PubMed) changes all the time, and
students/faculty/staff may move to institutions that offer other CINAHL
interfaces.  Therefore, I strongly advise teaching CINAHL & NLM databases as
conceptually as possible, stressing importance of using subject thesauri.
They need to learn to read the screens and understand what is being asked
when searching ANY database - this is a basic information literacy concept.
I tried to write conceptually in my book chapter ("Nursing Knowledge: Access
via Bibliographic Databases" in Thede, Linda Q.  Computers in Nursing:
Bridges to the Future, Philadelphia: Lippincott, c1999, pp. 149-170.) and
try to teach this way.  For some other things I've written, see links on
personal page, below.  Also, I can send the slides and handouts for this
week's sessions - same disclaimer as above - and will try to get them on a
web page soon.

3. Another thought on teaching:  try for course-integrated instruction at
the first point of need in the curriculum - avoid teaching during general
orientation if at all possible.  This takes time working with the faculty
and gaining their confidence.  You want the students to have an assignment
that is relevant and graded.  One that worked for me in a small
hospital-based program:  taught literature searching concepts when they
first started caring for patients and had them do an annotated bibliography.
  Also got 3 test questions in the exam on the nursing process unit.

4. As suggested above, many students WILL have access to CINAHL when they
graduate.  If not offered by their employer, they can subscribe to
CINAHLdirect for a nominal fee.  Or, they can see if their professional
organization offers free ore discounted CINAHLdirect access as a
membership benefit - or lobby for this benefit.  I don't know all that do,
so suggest that they check the organization website.  The first to offer
CINAHLdirect was the American Association of Critical Care Nurses.

Bottom line:  The majority of our health profesionals need to search both
CINAHL and MEDLINE for comprehensive coverage of the literature.  Beyond
that, they may need other databases, depending on their topic - a fact well
illustrated by the mapping study.  Embase, OCLC FirstSearch, PscyINFO, Web
of Science, and many, many others.  This is particularly true for faculty
and researchers, who may call on us to to the searching, because we are the
search experts.  Rhetorical question:  Why are librarians employed by
Cochrane Centers?

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

I just did a search using the terms Death/Dying AND Spirituality for the
past 5 years using both the Nursing Journals Subset feature in PubMed as
well as CINAHLdirect. Actually the term allowed in the CINAHL thesaurus was
Terminally Ill Patients. Results??

PubMed
Nine hits for Death+Spirituality with an additional five for
Dying+Spirituality.
Journals were:

Oncol Nurs Forum
J Pain Symptom Management
Home Healthc Nurse
Int J Nurs Stud
Hospice J. (4 hits)
Nurs Forum
Cancer Pract
J Adv Nurs
Res Nurs Health
Image J Nurs Sch (2 hits)

CINAHL
Three hits for Terminal Ill Patients and Spirituality
Journals were:

ONCOL NURS FORUM
J HOSP PALLIAT NURS
INT J PALLIAT NURS

One overlap -- Conclusion from brief research? Guess to be thorough, one
would have to search both, but I sure would use PubMed first!! It's free,
remember??

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

nursing journals, yes.  but if you are looking at the therapies or
peripheral literature, you will miss it if you rely on pubmed.  they do not
include a lot of the rehab literature in pubmed, for instance.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

One thing to remember is that even though CINAHL's vocabulary is based on
MeSH, it's been enhanced with terms likely to be used by nurses.  The trees
are also sometimes rearranged - the one that comes to mind is Advanced
Practice Nurses, which groups together Nurse Anesthetist, Nurse Midwife,
etc., which are just lumped under Nurses in MEDLINE.  You can't always just
dump your MEDLINE terms into CINAHL and get a good search. CINAHL also has a
"research" limit that our Nursing faculty and students really like.  Yes, I
know we think they ought to be able to look at an article and tell whether
it's research or not, but they love it. My opinion is that anyone with a
School of Nursing (which is where the original question came from) needs to
think twice before deciding to *not* invest in CINAHL.