Re: CINAHL vs. Pubmed

Peg Allen <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:05:32 -0500

Since many have responded on MEDLIB-L (thanks for all the positive comments
re. the CINAHL database), I'll take the liberty to do the same... Warning -
long...

Beyond the points made by others, note that CINAHL has its own thesaurus.
While MeSH based, it adds many nursing & allied health terms  and concepts
not in MeSH.  So, when you get one of those searches where you need this,
you will be really glad you have CINAHL.

As others have noted, PubMed does not cover as many of the peer-reviewed
nursing journals.  My Key Nursing Journals chart is being updated for 2001.
The new title is Key and Electronic Nursing Journals, to indicate my attempt
to include all nursing journals available electronically (but not including
state & provincial "journals," except J NY State Nurses Assn (they also
publish a newsletter like the others).  The other titles on the list are
generally on one of the standard lists or peer-reviewed or publish a
significant amount of research.  This chart will replace the one on the
NAHRS website at
http://www.library.kent.edu/nahrs/resource/reports/specrpts.htm  as soon as
I'm resonably certain that I have complete Research % statistics for 2000.

If you are anxious to receive the chart by Monday, please e-mail me and I'll
send current draft electronically.  It is a very large Word file. The reason
I didn't respond earlier today is that I am in Poplar Bluff Missouri to
teach a hands-on CINAHL session as part of an AHEC/RML sponsored workshop
for public health professionals (drove all day to get here; teaching
Thursday & Friday.  NAHRS Mapping colleagues: would you believe coding
mapping data while my husband drove?).  In the motel I'm accessing the
Internet at long distance rates (workshop is at a community college with T-3
lines, thank goodness!), so I don't want to be online for any length of time
(offline while writing).  Therefore, I'd prefer to send files when I'm back
in the home office next week.

At MLA, it was announced that the 2000 cumulation of International Nursing
Index will be the last published (by Lippincott, publisher of AJN, formerly
owned by ANA).  In the future, nursing journals added to MEDLINE will need
to meet the same evaluation criteria as those selected for Indexs Medicus.
Remember, Index Medicus is selective for biomedicine, while the CINAHL
database aims for comprehensive coverage of nursing, allied health
(including health sciences librarianship), alternative therapies, and
consumer health.  Whether selective or comprehensive is "better" is a matter
of opinion.  You can be selective when searching CINAHL if you take full
advantage of the journal subsets - including core nursing, type of peer
review, and country of publication - or by using the wide range of
publication  types, including Research, CEU, Pictorial, Systematic Review,
Teaching Materials, to name just a few.

Another note on journals:  the Cinahl website includes a lists of titles
indexed in two places in the Library section. The Jouranl List is a pdf
file, current as of May 16, 2001.  The Journal Directory lists titles
beginnig with each letter of the alphabet.  It also has lists for 32
disciplines and 11 broad subject/format categories.

One other website directory that notes whether something is indexed in
CINAHL is DIRECTORY OF ELECTRONIC HEALTH SCIENCES JOURNALS
at :  http://www.med.monash.edu.au/shcnlib/dehsj/

thoughts:

1. Not all offer *complete content* of the full-text in CINAHL - for an
article on Ways to access the CINAHL database that has a vendor chart
indicating how they handle the full-text fields, please e-mail me - same
disclaimer as above.  There are 12,308 full-text records in CINAHL (per
website, as of March, 2001)

2. Remember, vendor software (including PubMed) changes all the time, and
students/faculty/staff may move to institutions that offer other CINAHL
interfaces.  Therefor, I strongly advise teaching CINAHL & NLM databases as
conceptually as possible, stressing importance of using subject thesauri.
They need to learn to read the screens and understand what is being asked
when searching ANY database - this is a basic information literacy concept.
I tried to write conceptually in my book chapter ("Nursing Knowledge: Access
via Bibliographic Databases" in Thede, Linda Q.  Computers in Nursing:
Bridges to the Future, Philadelphia: Lippincott, c1999, pp. 149-170.) and
try to teach this way.  For some other things I've written, see links on
personal page, below.  Also, I can send the slides and handouts for this
week's sessions - same disclaimer as above - and will try to get them on a
web page soon.

3. Another thought on teaching:  try for course-integrated instruction at
the first point of need in the curriculum - avoid teaching during general
orientation if at all possible.  This takes time working with the faculty
and gaining their confidence.  You want the students to have an assignment
that is relevant and graded.  One that worked for me in a small
hospital-based program:  taughtliterature searching concepts when they first
started caring for patients and had them do an annotated bibliography.  Also
got 3 test questions in the exam on the nursing process unit.

4. As suggested above, many students WILL have access to CINAHL when they
graduate.  If not offered by their employer, they can subscribe to
CINAHLdirect for a nominal fee.  Or, they can see if their professional
organization offers free ore discounted CINAHLdirect access as a membership
benefit - or lobby for this benefit.  I don't know all that do, so suggest
that they check the organization website.  The first to offer CINAHLdirect
was the American Association of Critical Care Nurses.

Bottom line:  The majority of our health profesionals need to search both
CINAHL and MEDLINE for comprehensive coverage of the literature.  Beyond
that, they may need other databases, depending on their topic - a fact well
illustrated by the mapping study.  Embase, OCLC FirstSearch, PscyINFO, Web
of Science, and many, many others.  This is particularly true for faculty
and researchers, who may call on us to to the searching, because we are the
search experts.  Rhetorical question:  Why are librarians employed by
Cochrane Centers?

Hope this helps - Peg

Margaret (Peg) Allen, MLS-AHIP   mailto:[log in to unmask]
Library Consultant http://communities.msn.com/PegAllenLibraryConsultant
Resource Librarian Consultant for Cinahl Information Systems, Inc.
     http://www.cinahl.com/
Library Consultant, Northern and Southwest Wisconsin Area Health Education
Centers, http://www.nahec-wi.org/ and
http://www.medsch.wisc.edu/ahec/swahec/
PO Box 2, 308 Kann,  Stratford, WI 54484-0002
(715)687-4976                          Fax:(715)687-4976