]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  July 2001, Week 2

MEDLIB-L July 2001, Week 2

Summary-long: Survey users re: wish list for new library constru ction?

"Goldman, Elaine" <[log in to unmask]>

Goldman, Elaine

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:30:45 -0400

THANK YOU to everyone who responded to this request. You are a great group!
Special thanks to Barbara Henry. The description of her library construction
project  in BMLA 1999 October, 87(4):426-428 is what inspired this request.
(The article citation is BMLA 1999 October; 87(4):415-436, "Health Sciences
Library Building projects, 1998 survey" by V. Bowden)

Also, thank you (in order of comments below)
Ramune Kubilius
Laura Wimmer
Lisa McCormick
Christine Fleuriel
Anna M. Habetle
Jane Shelling
Gretchen Hallerberg
Carole M. Gilbert
and
especially Michelle Volesko - you could be a consultant!
***************8
From Barbara Henry:
She included a section on "New Library Construction" in her library's needs
assessment survey.
With her permission, it is listed below:

VIII.   NEW LIBRARY
In the coming months the library staff will be planning a new library
facility. Listed below are some features being considered for the new
facility. Please rank the five most important  features to you. (1=Low,
5=High)
_____Study carrels
_____Work tables
_____Individual study rooms
_____Group study rooms
_____Leisure reading area
_____Reference desk
_____Information desk
_____Aisle width between stacks
_____Staff offices more accessible
_____Additional photocopier(s)
_____Additional microform reader/printer(s)
_____Directional signage
_____Additional computer workstation(s)
_____Additional call phones available
_____Carpeting
_____Other (please specify)

Her comments:
-Looking back I would have changed the number ranking to 1 for the most
important
(instead of the 5) because people tend to think that way. I would also have
added something about a computer lab (which we did end up with)
-Take pictures of old library

 Comments from the other librarians listed above:

As for the wider user population, some of the questions would be the same
as those you might ask in a normal library survey. It may be a question of
your users' definition of the library: space vs place vs service vs
resources, etc.

For example, to determine inhouse use:
- How often do you physically come to the library:
a) daily; b) weekly; c) monthly; d) a few times a year e) rarely; f) never

-What is the primary reason you come to the library:
a) to obtain reference/research or assistance from the staff; b) as a place
to catch up on reading/to study; c) in and out, etc.

For example, to determine their priorities:
-The most important resources/services of the library (check all that
apply):
___Place to study
___After hours access
___Collection of books
___Collection of journals
___Computers on which to work
___Getting materials /articles not held at this hospital
___Information/consultation services or expertise of the staff
___Other (please specify)
etc.

If I could change something about the present library, it would be:
___Better hours
___After hours access
___Bigger collection
___More electronic resources
___More or better remote access to electronic resources
___More computers
___More space to study
___More photocopy machines
___More staff to help
___Other (please specify):_________________________
etc.
**************
We asked about quiet study rooms & study carrels.
What they hated most about the current library.
Favorite colors.
We took carpet samples and asked them to vote their favorite.
We had recliners in the old library.  What was their opinion of them.
How many tables did they consider a good number.  Did they like to sit at a
table with others.
Had they ever used compact mobile shelving.
Use of Metal as opposed to wood shelving in the new construction.
Mostly, I wanted them to be excited about the new library as it would
necessitated living out of boxes for a few months as we weren't moving the
library long term but just having the current space redone with the addition
of a small room adding 500 sq feet.
What we found out was:
Need for a carrel room that was enclosed with a door that could be shut.
We gave the counter tops and end caps of the metal shelving a wood tone
Formica (pear wood) teamed it with black metal.  The carpet they choose I
also liked a lot.  Multi colored with blue, black, dark and light peach,
white and more we based all the other colors in the library on it. After 3
years it still looks clean. We kept the idea of the recliners but as per
instructions got ones that were less comfortable so less people fell asleep.
We also walled off a small seating area so that if they fell asleep it would
be less noticeable.  They ended up a wing chair recliners in blue leather
like material (soft plastic).  Everyone thinks they are leather.  Our tables
are round in a cherry wood Formica that blends well.  The other thing they
liked was high backed chairs with arms at the tables.  Other seating at
computer terminals and study carrels are desk chairs with casters.  We asked
for a couple of choices from the vendors to try and everyone loved the one
we selected.
The only thing I would do over would be to skip the safety locks on the
compact mobile.
By asking them their opinions the project had a lot of support and interest
in the medical staff.  We also asked residents, employees and nurses.  They
were flattered to be included and this created a lot of good PR.
We also had an open house which confirmed that everyone was impressed and
happy with the results.
********************************8

Consider doing a focus group.  You still have to come up with questions.
e.g. What do you see as essential to the design of the library?  If you
could dream the ideal library space what would be in it?  What is the one
thing you like least about the existing library?  etc...
***********************

We didn't survey users beforehand, but I can tell you that the major
complaint after we moved was about compact shelving.  People had a longer
adjustment to them than I would have thought.  It's been almost 4 years now,
and I don't think I heard much griping after the first 6 months.  One thing
people will probably want will be network connections for laptops.  We also
requested wider carrels; ours are 4 feet.
***************************
You might want to consider doing a few Focus Groups. With them you can
determine what users would like in a new library, yet also get their ideas
about current and future services, collection needs, etc. .............
Beryl Glitz has a book available through MLA, FOCUS GROUPS
FOR LIBRARIES AND LIBRARIANS. As an intro you can read her article in the
BMLA 85(4) October 1997, "The focus group technique in library research: an
introduction

**********************
Our patrons ask for;
- a quiet room for silent study,
- a discussion room for discussing a problem and testing each other
******************8
Everybody will have comments like "where I USED to be, they did/had.... ".
The key, I think - especially as things are changing so fast - is to try to
word questions to get at how people like to work or what they are usually
trying to accomplish - the ends, rather than the means they now know about
which may well change anyway. And ask a bunch of open-ended questions about
what they'd like. One "rule" of surveys is not to ask if people want
somethng that you know can't provide anyway, but I think those rules are a
little different when you're planning new space. Probably the trick is to
ask in such a way that people know it's a "blue sky" sort of question.
**********************
 What I did was call my colleagues and ask them to list for me what
they would like/needed if they could have anything in the world they wanted.
used this list...and got almost all of what I wanted.  Sometimes you have to
couch things in acceptable "political" language. For example, we wanted a
staff lounge but knew that we'd never get it unless we called it a
conference
room.  So we did, and we got it, complete with coffee pot, microwave, and
refrig....and we use it for staff meetings, and even for small meetings for
hospital groups.  (It only seats 6)
.... make sure that all your
electrical outlets and data lines are at desk-top height.  That is the one
mistake we made...they are all at the normal height, about 18 inches from
the
floor.  Every time we have to change out a computer or a telephone, it means
moving heavy furniture...some of which is blocked into "cubbies"  and it's a
royal pain!!!!!
Good book source:
Medical Library Association Guide to Managing Health Care Libraries, (edited
by Ruth Holst and Sharon Phillips) New York: Neal-Schuman Publishers, 2000.
(Chapter 8- "Space Planning by Roseanne Labree" p. 135-175)