]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  July 2001, Week 3

SKIVT-L July 2001, Week 3

Summer Runs- Skiing the Nisqually Chutes, 8 July 2001

Dana Dorsett <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:31:17 -0400

 (This trip report may appear in modified form with pics at a cyber-venue
near you sometime soon.  Some of you have already seen pics & reports from
one or more of the other folks on this tour.)

The call from Robie wasn't encouraging: With the road
closed to Lake Mowich (due to snowpack and staffing problems in the park)
the planned Flett/Russell glacier tour would be a 15mile round-trip/6k'
vertical hump up to the top of the
Flett glacier from Ipsut Creek, all for a mere 2k' of skiable. With
toenails still blackened but not (yet) lost from my previous long downhike,
plan-B was looking better & better.  Robie had been in e-contact with
several
folks who had planned to head up the Camp Muir route from Paradise, with
several return loop options.  Sure, we'd been there- done that many times,
but the
possibilities on the Nisqually Glacier side still held some appeal.

On the appointed day and hour Robie's Trooper was set on autopilot and we
were
under way to Paradise.  Telemetry reports from the previous night
showed a low of 40F at Paradise- it was sure to be a morning-corn day.  At
the
Nisqually bridge turnout was a car with skis on top and 2 guys scanning the
ridge of the Muir Snowfield against a cloudless sky. "Looks like there's
enough snow left to ski it." Commented one.  "You planning to ski that
chute?" queried Robie.  "I think so- we were going to go check it out with
Ron Jarvis!"  Instantly introductions were made all around- Ron had been one
of Robie's e-correspondents for the day, and we'd hoped to hook up with
him in the parking lot.  It was all falling together. When I'd figured out
which chute they were talking about I hesitated, "Looks wicked steep to me-
and that S-turn at the top could be tricky." It remained to be seen.

In the parking lot it took less than 15 minutes for a motley band of 6-7
skiers to find one another. It seems most knew each other, by reputation if
not in person.  Haunt a place enough you'll eventually meet the other
spooks who haunt the same place, and folks who live to hike for
turns in July is anything but a cross-section of America.

Still a bit nervous about
the intended chute run, Ron assured me that it was "30-35 degrees or so, no
big deal."
Kindred spirits all, we were soon hiking up the trail to Panorama Point,
chatting and taking
in the view.  Just below Pan-point we paused to watch a pair of marmots
sparring like pugilists over a third, who sat watching coyly from a nearby
rock.
(No surprises here- the bigger guy won with a few well placed jabs and a
left hook.)

Pausing below Pebble Creek to confer with the party, some were committed
to making Camp Muir, while the four of us agreed on a meeting point on the
rock bands above the Nisqually Chutes.  Three of us made good time skinning
up the Muir Snowfield while Ron took a more leisurely pace.  After lunching
and replenishing our water bottles we dropped the packs for a warmup run,
skinning another 500' or so up to just shy of 9k'.  On the snowfield the
snow was a combination of hard icy fossilized ski track, and dirty firn with
swaths of slow dirty corn between. A bit grabby in spots, crunchy in others,
it was nonetheless a sweet-turning heavy molasses mix. Stopping to pick up
the
packs we scanned the snowfield in vain for Ron.  He seemed to have
dissappeared.  Robie had recalled seeing him approaching the level to the
entrance of the chute, so he headed down for a bit of reconnaissance.
Ron's track was soon spotted and we all followed it (like lemmings?) to the
edge of the abyss.

From the entrance to the chute Ron was visible a hundred or two feet below,
just beyond the S-turn.  From his track it was clear that he'd sideslipped
in, kick-turned, and side-slipped some more to get around rock- the
conservative approach of a mountaineer.  He waved us down, but we all balked
a bit.  It was steeper than 30-35 degrees already, and we weren't even in
the throat of the draw. Confering with Charles & Robie, I decided I'd ski
down with Ron while they took separate routes- Charles sprinting to Camp
Muir to catch the other party, and Robie skiing a wider-open run to the SE.
Dropping into the chute tentatively, with 2" of sloughing corn I followed
Ron's lead and sideslipped it to the first rock, kick turned and sideslipped
a bit more.  Thirtyfive degrees? It looked more like 40 to me, maybe
more! As the slough got ahead of me a bit I butt-checked it for 10' or so
before my edges caught the more substantial and abrasive hard ice layer
beneath the corn. Safely out of the terrain traps, 3 joyful turns later I
was
standing next to Ron contemplating the next 1500' of sweet corn!

"Thirtyfive degrees, eh?" I grinned.

"Well, it measured 42 where I stopped for the first kick-turn. I guess I
underestimated it a bit." came Ron's apologetic reply.  No matter- it was
well within
our comfort zone and we'd gotten down to the goods unrattled.  On
skier's right the gully was a consistent and very smooth 40-45 degree
pitch.  A high traverse out  the ridge would allow an unmarred 1500' of
decently steep
stuff.  Skier's left had a few rocks to dodge, while the middle had a few
old ski tracks partially covered with slough runout and the occasional rock.
Hoping that the snow was consolidated enough for a stable run I began to
cut the slope on a high traverse out to the point of the ridge, but stopped
after 150 yards as the top 2-3" hissed away below me in a slow wet slide.
Hmmm.... no need to get stupid at this point- time to ski the slide path and
count my blessings!

We skied it leisurely, savoring sets of 10-15 turns at a time, crossing
first to one
side, then the other, stopping to soak up the grandeur of the Nisqually
Glacier. From the top of the icefall some 6000' above down to the flat toe
below the moraine it was a jumble of fissures & seracs taking their slow
path to the sea.  Several climbing parties were visible on the far side of
the glacier as well as a party of skiers/climbers crossing a snowbridge on
the lower glacier, but none so foolish as to be on the icefall itself. It
had been a low snow year, and it showed!

Eventually the slope petered out and we skirted the moraine in a climbing
traverse approaching the trail below Panorama Point.  A lone skier that had
to have
been Robie was spotted climbing out above us, and soon we were kicking steps
for 500' to rejoin the trail.  On the trail we waited and watched as another
pair of skiers followed our tracks through the chute turning much more
aggressively (now that we'd groomed it with the sideslipping.)  Following
the
Deadhorse Creek drainage we skied to within a couple-hundered vertical feet
of the parking lot, politely stepping as lightly as possible up to the
hiking trail, finishing up a near-perfect tour as the heat of the day
approached.

On the drive back we spoke of many things, contemplating future tours, other
venues. "At the top of the chute I got this cartoon image of my wife in my
face saying 'I told you not to get hurt just before our trip to Italy!' and
decided to take the safer route. Then when I saw your butt-check- that
clinched it!" Robie laughed.  Great minds think alike- with butt on snow I'd
been thinking about Jan giving me what-for, and was thus further determined
not to screw
up!

The Pacific Northwest has an embarrassment of riches when it comes
to backcountry skiing. Indeed Charles, who we had first spotted scoping the
chutes from the bridge runs a website: http://www.turns-all-year.com/ ,
which doesn't lie- there is skiing, even _good_ skiing to be had any month
of the year for those who willing to hike for it.  It is well worth the
visit
for a summer-run when your quads feel like they can't survive
another month of waiting.

dana

_____________ ________ __
__(    Tele till you drop