]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  August 2001, Week 3

MEDLIB-L August 2001, Week 3

Compiled replies to Automated Checkout questions

Janice Pividor <[log in to unmask]>

Janice Pividor <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:02:08 -0400

Thanks to those who replied! I have stripped names/etc. and started with my original question.
Hi:

Please only reply if you have a bar code experience to relate. I will happily compile and share the responses I receive with the entire list. Please reply to me directly.

We are looking into using bar code technology in our multi-site hospital library. We are interested in any experience (good or bad) that other hospital/health libraries have had. We are particularly interested in what vendors clients are satisfied with or unsatisfied with (and why). We are also interested in what kind of technology is being used: i.e. self check-out vs assisted check-out, portable readers, etc. Be as specific as you like! :-)

We are not (currently) looking at a security system, just automated check-out.

Information on what hardware and software you use is of interest but we also want any information on experiences in implementation or actual use.

Please send replies to me by July 20 (we will accept later replies, but I would like to compile information before I go on vacation).

Thank you,

Janice Pividor
Library Services
London Health Sciences Centre
800 Commissioners Road East
London, Ontario  N6A 4G5

phone: 519-685-8500 ext.52560
fax: 519-685-8223
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

We became automated about 4 years ago. Initially, it was alot of work to
link the materials to barcodes & the barcodes to the system, but it has been
worth it. Operations are so much easier now & information is at our
fingertips! We use Dynix for our circulation & check out.

______________________________

We had Marcive produce the smart barcodes.  We sent them our shelflist & they sent the smart barcodes back it in shelflist order so it was relatively straightforward to apply them (slight oversimplification here).  We had a very long discussion on the placement of the barcodes & finally decided on the upper right corner on the back for books & serials.  We no longer use smart barcodes for our ongoing cataloging, just regular barcodes that we get from an outside company with our library's name imprinted on it.  We use barcodes beginning with 2 for patrons, 3 for books, 4 for serials, & 5 for other media.
____________________________________

Janice, I'm puzzled as to why experience in an HSL should be all that
different from a public library. As it happens, both my nearby PL and my
former location at a university HSL use the same catalog system (Innopac,
from Innovative Interfaces), thus we both also use barcodes. I realize that
academic health science and hospital HSLs are different in a number of
ways, but as far as operations go, checkout is checkout. We did not have
self checkout; the bar codes worked fine for desk checkout. Innopac *may*
be too expensive, but MRI scanners don't come cheap either. The main
difficulties we had (I was the systems librarian) were in the conversion of
our many, many thousands of Marc records, from their original format into
III's format. With fewer records, it should go better (or maybe they
learned from us ;-) )  - Once the system was up and running, it ran fine
within my rather intolerant limits. - To my knowledge, the system's never
been used for inventory - but that may be in part  because it had been
decided that the bar codes should be *inside*  (book) covers, costing
valuable time. The PL has the barcodes on the front cover, and they don't
seem to be subject to undue wear.

Good luck!

Janice, thanks for your interesting reply. - I had indeed overlooked self
checkout, and of course that's necessary. - Our local PL does have a
self-checkout machine, but it's not very satisfactory, and so not a good
sign. At my academic HSL, I don't think it was ever considered. However, it
might be worth a query to Innovative Interfaces (Innopac's vendor) to see
if they can suggest any of their libraries worth querying, or perhaps they
can name specific library customers with self-checkout service: [log in to unmask]
They do of course have a web site; didn't see anything directly useful
there , tho I didn't go to all pages.
http://www.iii.com/

Good luck with your responses!

At 10:47 AM 7/8/2001, you wrote:
>I don't' think the experience would be completely different. Most
>libraries would have similar needs. However, hospital libraries or other
>special libraries have a few unique aspects. We have 24 hour access. We
>need to find a self-check system that our customers WILL use, that would
>hopefully include everything (things like single journal issues and files
>as well as books and bound journals and videos), that again, a person can
>self-check.
>
>We use a program called DB Textworks, that (as far as I know) is only used
>for small or medium sized libraries. I don't personally know of any public
>libraries that use it, but many special libraries do.
>
>Primarily, the reason I'm asking on this list is because this is the best
>group I have access to that is also somehow limited. Could you imagine the
>number of responses I would get if I asked this question of public libraries?
>:-)

>Janice Pividor

Our library barcodes all books & audiovisuals, but only certain circulating journal titles.  Our circulation system is part of an integrated library system, so the barcodes are entered by our cataloger.  Patrons/staff search the catalog to locate items.  The catalog also displays the availability of the item, e.g. on loan, on the shelf, etc.

We I checked with our vendor, Sydneyplus, a Vancouver-based company, to see what barcodes were compatible.  When we first decided to barcode the collection, we decided to reclassify it also from LC to NLM.  None of our records were in machine-readable format, so I set up a profile with Marcive in which we sent info on our books in shelf-list order, & Marcive returned smart barcodes in shelf list order.  The smart barcodes had part of the book's title on it as well as the barcode.  We then had to place the barcode on each book, making sure that it was correct.  For 2nd copies & multiple volumes, we used regular barcodes without the title.

We started with a wand at the circulation desk, but found that the wand wasn't as accurate in reading barcodes without multiple passes.  We bought a laser gun in the next budget year.
We do not have self-initiated checkout.  Users bring material to the front desk where we check to see if they are registered (barcode on the back of their ID badge) & then the material is signed out to them by library staff.  We have everything security stripped so we don't ever anticipate allowing self-checkouts.

_____________________________________

We have barcodes on all our monographs solely for the purpose of check
out--which is assisted.  (We also have a security system but that is
controlled by "teeny beepers")

We have an average of about 4500-5000 monographs at all times.  What we did when we got the barcodes was to begin barcoding only the new books as they were processed.  We put a tiny 'B' on the top of the book so we knew which were barcoded and which were not.  As books went out and were returned, we barcoded them.  That way, most of the books were barcoded within a little more than a year.  When we did the next inventory (which we always do the last 3 days in June) we finished them up.

We simply did not have the staff or the time to do the whole collection at
once and we did not want to take books "off line" for any length of time.
By doing them as they were processed the first time and as they were returned, the number was manageable.

Hope this is useful to all those who were interested and Thanks So Much again to those who responded.

Janice Pividor