LISTSERV Archives

ACS-STAF Home

ACS-STAF  September 2001

ACS-STAF September 2001

siggraph 2001

Wesley Alan Wright <[log in to unmask]>

ACS staff discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Sep 2001 14:03:12 -0400

Spent a week at the Association for Computing Machinery's 25th annual
meeting of the Special Interest Group in Graphics, aka SIGGRAPH 2001,
in Los Angeles, CA.

The hot items this year appear to be augmented or enhanced reality --
VR projected out into existing spaces, seen either through glasses or
directly via projection.  Trying to Minimize encumbrance and utilize
common hardware, simplify calibration and setup. Not unlike Myron
Kruegar's concepts of 10 years or so ago. Getting practical use in
movie production -- allowing director to see virtual sets on monitor
while talent performs in front of blue screen. Spielberg used it
while directing AI.

Towards this end, IBM has neat directional mirror projector/camera
with touch-screen like features. Can display images on a variety of
surfaces within the space in which it is mounted.

I really liked a system based on a SONY PlayStation 2, Hook up a
camera to it, point it at yourself, watch yourself play with animated
creatures and effects on the screen. See
http://www.devnet.scea.com/research/gdc2001/gdc_videoinput.htm,
especially slides 20 and 21.

Display technology: the CRT is gone, replaced by LCD panels and
projectors, the coolest being SGI's Reality Theatre, a 50 foot wide
three projector curved screen super high resolution display. Awesome
demo of Virtual LA, a three-d texture mapped model of downtown Los
Angeles developed by UCLA. Hope to have whole LA basin soon, used for
urban planning and traffic analysis. See
http://www.biomedengr.ucla.edu/stories/virtla.htm ,
http://www.ust.ucla.edu/ustweb/projects.html and
http://www.sgi.com/realitycenter/

IBM has a very impressive 204 ppi $22,000 flat panel display: 16:10
aspect ratio, 22.2" diagonal viewing area, 3840x2400 pixels. Text
pages displayed on this baby look as good or better than paper. I bet
we will all have these in another 5 years.See
http://www.storage.ibm.com/lcd/products/md2229/md2229index.htm

Random session notes:

designing experience and on-line learning environments

        http://www.techbc.ca/
        students called learners to help break down traditional
        university hierarchy, as faculty learn, too, in
        collaborative situations.
        exploring this in their Then/Else Interactivity Lab
        iVisit/smartshell software
        CU-See me collaborative performances -- not unlike internet debate.
        onlive traveler, a 3d virtual community

Caves in museums
        Virtual environments in Intertainment combines artistic know how,
         VR beyond the object, availability of technologies

        http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jranstey/panel/ $20,000 home built

        perhaps the lack of VR in museums is because of a lack of
        content rather than of funds.

        telepresence? There's no simulation like home. a problem with cave
        is that the viewer tends to assume a fixed position while the
        space floats around them. Could make them virtual rooms by
         constraining views to small masked areas like door and windows.
        This could lead to a set of interconnected caves
        http://www.jeffrey-shaw.net/

| Academic Computing Services       __0__                             |
| Room 238 Waterman Building       / \ | \                            |
| University of Vermont              \77  http://weasel.uvm.edu/      |
| Voice:802-656-1254 FAX:802-656-0872  vv                             |