Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CSSA Home

CSSA  September 2001

CSSA September 2001

Welcome!

"Caitlin C. Coughlin" <[log in to unmask]>

Computer Science Student Association <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Sep 2001 21:07:44 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

Hi Everyone,

Welcome [back] to the fall semester, 2001! I've been putting off sending
out a hello until we could get the picnic plans sort of finalized, but
I've gotten some inquiries and shall wait no longer! :)

I want to welcome you all, old members & new. Some sad news that you
probably already know is that after pulling a series of ultimatums and
getting no reaction from the administration at large, Charlie Colbourn
[our CS chair] has gone to Arizona where they have a really big CS
department that he thinks he can whip into shape in a few years. I am
personally sad to see him go as he was a strong advocate for the computer
science department, a staunch supporter of the CSSA, and perhaps the best
professor I've ever had. *sniff*

However Arizona will no doubt be good for his blood pressure, as well as
for his family: Charlie's wife didn't care for the grey days of our
winters and will surely get more cheering sunlight in her new home.

Onward!  We have a new chair, Xingdong Wu, whom the officers & myself are
meeting with for the first time on thursday to make his acquaintance &
talk about the CSSA and more specifically what kind of, you know, cash we
might be allotted for things such as our FALL PICNIC and snacks for our
many gatherings. =) There are good things happening in our college now. If
you've been following the papers there is FINALLY some talk of
strengthening engineering. Craig Damon, an escaped compiler expert who
could be making gobs of cash for SUN, seems inclined to grace us with his
enthusiastic classroom presence for some time. Maggie Epstein has accepted
an Assistant Professorship, and Alison Pechenick (who made the class
brownies when we took CS 101 together) is now a lecturer. We've got Jim
McQuillan for another year, enjoy him while you can. Alan Ling from the
land of Charlie Colbourn fans is here with us, and though Charlie is gone
maybe he'll like it here anyway, who can say?

We've got a great lineup this year folks, and the CSSA is here to pull us
all together, introduce a few folks who might not otherwise have met, and
try to improve the quality of life for every CS student.

I will of course keep you all updated on the picnic situation. After
meeting with Xingdong we will plan a nearby date (this year we're thinking
on-campus, during the week to try to improve attendance) and then I will
send an invitation to all CS students. I'm kind of holding off on the
general mail-everybody thing until I know more about what kind of
activities we'll be able to afford this semester. Craig's talking about
the CS department doing some sort of lecture series like we did last
semester, but probably during the day, so I will still try to keep in mind
those folks who have day jobs.

BUT welcome, I'm glad to wish you all a fond hello, and as an aside I want
you to know I fully plan to implement a member database with optional
face-shots so we can recognize one another, not to mention a listing of
who like what games (is this a good idea?) In case someone just needs
their half-life fix or whatever. That WILL happen, I promise you.

I'd also like to see some coordinated activities with the Wired program in
L&L, and possibly the Science fiction & Fantasy program since _my_ roots
are well into sci-fi and to my mind all these things have their interest
in the future in common.

So hihihi, welcome, and comments & discussion are more than welcome too!

-Caitlin '-V' Coughlin, CSSA President

(Cool rotating signature file GONE with switch to new squall! :-(  )