]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  October 2001, Week 1

MEDLIB-L October 2001, Week 1

Summary-LONG! - responses to ideas for a series of 4 medical and health information access cla sses for consumers

Cindy Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>

Cindy Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 7 Oct 2001 20:56:29 -0400

I recently requested topical ideas for a series of 4 classes for the
general public on accessing health information.  The following is a
summary of the many helpful and inspiring responses I received. I
elected to use an outline format.  This results in some dissection of
individual responses but makes the combined wisdom of all the
responders easier to review (I think).

Many Thanks to, Kris Alpi, Theresa Arndt, Donna Beales, Judy Burnham,
Deb Clark, Sandy Decker, Marilyn Dow, Beverly Gardner, Diane Kovacs,
G.D. Money, Mary Marix, Elizabeth Mason, Elyse Pike, Patricia
Pinkowski, Barbara Pope, Martha Stone, Betty Warner, Marsha White,
Laura Windsor, and Cathy Woolbright for their valuable insights!

I.  Places to look for ideas:
A.  You might get some ideas here:
http://nnlm.gov/scr/conhlth/manualidx.htm  -- Consumer Health : an
online manual.
B.  you might want to get some ideas from our Consumer Health
Reference Center (a library-to-library service within Massachusetts
funded by the Mass. Board of Library Commissioners)site and quarterly
newsletter, at:
http://www.mgh.harvard.edu/library/chrcindex.html
C.  http://jeffline.tju.edu/~koopman/whs2/  is the website developed
here for our consumer classes/presentations.

II.  Non-net:
A.  what the media and the doctors tell us, also books compared with
journals,professional compared with consumer materials--a hands-on
display
B.  First, some brief information on how to connect with library
services.  They are going to see references to books and articles on
the web and want to get them.  Either through you if you are providing
that service, or how to get in contact with local public libraries.
The other thing is dealing with that fact that many consumers want the
"best" or most authoratative answer.  Sometimes you can come up with
something, and sometimes not.

III.  Separating good information from bad and potentially injurious
information on the internet:
A.  I would first talk about evaluating what's found on the web,
stressing  the difference between fact and opinion and how to
differentiate.
B.  How about evaluating information you find on the Internet
(currency, relevance, authoritative source)? Is the website trying to
sell something?
C.  SO, I give a brief cautionary description of determining legit and
content-value sites, using the simplest outline (i.e., author?
purpose?, etc.) and the HONcode.
D.  One concept the general public should understand, which is not a
hot
topic, is the concept of how to read information critically, or how to
separate solid information from questionable information, especially
over the Internet.  This would include:
Is the information peer reviewed?
Are the author's name and educational credentials given?
Does the writer have the expertise to speak on the topic?
Is there a scholarly society or respected university behind it?
Is there a date given when the site was last updated?
Does the site give references for the statements?
Is the site a disinterested party or does it have an agenda
(e.g.selling products or political motives)
E.  I teach web-related health classes to staff and community and
found that people often want information about how to tell if a web
site (or other resource) is credible, offers accurate information,
etc.  I include examples of VERY bad as well as very good sites.  So,
I would include resource quality as a topic to cover.
F.  key concerns (such as privacy, accuracy, currency, etc.)

IV. Privacy Concerns on the internet
A.  Additionally, the public should be cautioned about giving out
personal information over the Internet.
B.  I do not teach Onhealth.com since I've tested them and discovered
that their privacy policy is nil.  They want personal info  and they
keep it and use it.. example  I said my birthdate was 10/11/42 and
started getting spam for over -fifties including AARP and also paper
mail.  With a name and a birthdate identity thieves can get a serious
foothold as well.

V.  Don't use the internet to guide treatment
The public should also be cautioned not to use Internet medical advice
to treat (or diagnose) their own case.  It should not be a substitute
for advice from their doctors.

VI.  Web Search Techniques and Basic Online Reference Tools
Suggested as a first class topic.
A.  General info on how to search.  Sort of a basic overview of the
Web.  You'll probably need to adjust this sort of thing on the fly,
since individual experience is more widespread within the general
public than among professionals/students.  An opening question to
determine who has looked for stuff online and how successful did they
feel may help.  I think we've passed the time (just 4-5 years ago!)
when I used to begin by asking who had used  a mouse <G>.
B.  Search engines -- good ones, bad ones (my personal favorite is
google)
C.  Searching and Finding in General--answering specific questions
using
metasites and search engines NLM and other govt resources for
consumers--how to ...
D.  For YOUR Health--helping people design a bookmark list of their
own
insurers, hospitals, physicians, and health and illness and medication
concerns
E.  Also, I still use Dogpile as my start with a
search engine.  It searches several of the search engines.  You do get
duplicate items at times, but it still gives a good overview.
 www.dogpile.com <http://www.dogpile.com>
F.  The basic reference tools I've not taught to consumers at all but
will be teaching the tools that are available through our Ohio Public
Library Information Network (OPLIN) databases http://oplin.lib.oh.us
when I do my workshops for consumers in November.
Hope this helps 8).

www.lii.org <http://www.lii.org>

www.ipl.org <http://www.ipl.org>

The first is the Librarian's Index to the Internet.  The second is the
Internet Public Library.  These are great places to start when doing
research for school work.
G.  Health on the Net--general overview of all hot topics and key
reports with 3-5 top sites,
H.  I give an example of formatting an effective search statement if
they feel the need to go to an Internet search engine (pointing out
that many search engines have a health subject area that helps weed
out some extraneous material).  And I mention some of my favorite
sites - NOAH, CAPHIS's links to consumer health, NCCAM, and other
links.  Depending on your population, I point out sites that have a
Spanish language component, as one of our service counties has a large
Guatemalan population.

VII. Themes/Topics
A.  Use a theme for each class
We provide community education programs on a theme, orthopedic,
cardiology, diabetes, gastroenterology, etc.  I get requests to speak
in the community.  If I can get access to an analog phone line, I can
teach via the internet.
B.  Drug/Drug Side-Effects/Drug Cost
Prescription drug information and support
Concern over the side effects of a particular drug, how to take a
particular medication, drug interactions, concern over safety or
benefit-risk of drug treatments (e.g. hormone replacement therapy).
High cost of some prescriptions is also a worry to many.
special sites for drug price relief
B.  alternative/complementary medicine, nutrition and vitamins,
drug-food interaction information, fitness, walking for exercise,
stress management.
for 20s and 30s - alternative medicine, sports medicine, exercise
C.  Cancer
Some high-profile forms of cancer (e.g. breast cancer) are topics of
concern and interest.
Loss of vocal cords
D.  clinical trials
E.  Disease information and support
1. Diseases that are frustrating for both doctor and patient (.e.g.
fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic pain) might be worth
considering.
2. genetic and other rare diseases
3.  any dementia, heart problems, Parkinson's, MS,
F.  physician and hospital information
G.  injury information and support
loss of limbs
H.  women¹s special health issues information and support
Since women frequently seek health information from any source,
anything to do with so-called women's health issues, from pregnancy,
childbirth, childraising and menopause will be popular.  Breast cancer
is always of interest, as is information on all  cancers.  That alone
could fill more than four hours <G>
I.  men¹s special health issues information and support
J.  children¹s special health issues information and support
K.  For teens-body piercing and tattoos, at least out here. - they
already know about sex
L.  Travel health information
M.  Aging issues are a concern, so think of everything that relates to
that, from Alzheimer's to diminished eyesight.
caring for the aging.
middle age and above - any dementia, heart problems, Parkinson's, MS,
N.  Quack Watch
I had a hit with some of the medical scam sites such as quackwatch
and
urban legends stuff.  People almost seemed to think they were being
let into some marvelous back door to the workings of the internet and
they loved it.
O.Beyond the Web:
Also, regarding the Internet, there are other kinds of health-related
resources available - including online support groups (mailgroups,
newsgroups, chat rooms) - that people often want to learn about.  I
usually include a segment on 'Beyond the Web' and cover these types of
resources, using the Alzheimer mailgroup as a good example of an
online support group for caregivers that is moderated and helpful.  Of
course, there are many such groups to choose from - I usually teach
older adults, so the Alzheimer group is a good place to start.
P.  Age of audience-based decisions on topic
For teens - body piercing and tattoos, at least out here. - they
already
know about sex
middle age and above - any dementia, heart problems, Parkinson's, MS,
special sites for drug price relief
for 20s and 30s - alternative medicine, sports medicine, exercise
all ages - grief, loss of limbs or vocal cords, etc. cancer, and
caregivers needs

VIII. Sites to use:
A.  Also, if they have internet access you may want to show them the
CDC site of consumer health topics:
http://www.cdc.gov/health/diseases.htm
B.  Medline Plus
1.  Now every consumer *and* the healthcare professionals I've worked
with has been very very thrilled with the fact that every single
category here is covered by MedlinePlus from the National Library of
medicine.   All they have to memorize is http://www.medlineplus.org.
Rather than showing them all the individual sites for each disease
etc. MedlinePlus provides a central place where these sites have been
screened and reviewed by professional medical librarians.  I also
teach the main consumer meta-sites e.g. WebMD.
2.  When I teach this class, I focus on MedlinePlus - people like the
excellent graphics.  Be sure to take time to show them the dictionary
(Adam), where they like details on specific conditions - particularly
illustrations - and they really like the tests section that describes
procedures in detail.

But, since they like MedlinePlus so much, it is usually towards the
end because they like to experiment with personal interest topics and
this gives them good practice with you there to monitor.

IX.  Encouragement (Didn't think of adding this topic until I was
finishing the summary.  There were many other encouraging words –
MANY THANKS!!)
A.  Usually the public is so happy to be empowered with this
information, they are very appreciative and get excited 'hunting' for
their particular topics.
B.  Good luck. This should be fun.

X.  Great ideas for give aways:
A.  Handouts with suggested websites are helpful, but if you have the
resources, a floppy disk with URLs is nice.
B.  Any community education program I have presented, whether on the
hospital campus or to local AARP or Senior citizens groups, they all
include handouts, to provide take home with web sites, tips on how to
validate the information, all the superb .gov sites, free, but
excellent full-text, online resources.

XI. How to do it:
An open forum with questions allowed when the audience questions
arise...seems to work best.  The community loves it!  They get their
real questions asked in an objective information-seeking mode the
librarian.  I will do searches in MedlinePlus for general and PubMed
for specific questions... Micromedix for drug info..(subscription), a
variety of pharmacology websites.  I do show them how to perform a
search, but only about are really interested in the mechanics of
searching....they much prefer the natural language of "ask Jeeves".
They love health risk assessments and diet/nutrition/recipes for good
living...food exchange sites for diabetes.

I answer many simple and many more complex computer questions.  I do
searches and e-mail the results directly to them from my laptop.  I
show them how to do these things on the spot.... how to copy paste
into a word document, bookmarking organization.

Informality works best...they will definitely appreciate you!!

I have other lists on my secured drive, to which I am not currently
linked...if you would like those lists, I will forward to you...

My list is comprised of a single page of web sites, with my contact
information at the top.  I print double the number of this list, while
I provide another with this list, but then include page one of each of
the web sites, so that new users will recognize the page when it comes
up, plus reviewing the contents.

Following are a few of the sites I typically use.

Tips:
· Save valuable computer memory by NOT using extravagant
screensavers* you may need it for more important information...

· Create a folder on your desktop and within it, a document in Word,
WordPerfect or Excel to store a list of your most often used bookmarks
in Netscape or Explorer, your health specialty organizations' or
societies' web sites and/or contact information.  You can easily
update the original document and add or delete sites as needed while
maintaining the folder on your desktop. This saves you the logging
into the web, the looking up your bookmarks or files steps.

Try www.google.com for general Internet searches.  It is excellent.
Read the how-to search information associated with this or any other
search engine to improve your efficiency in searching.

Try these web sites:
                                                                                         www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/
www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/
www.cdc.gov/health/diseases.htm
www.cdc.gov/travel/
www.clinicaltrials.gov/
http://www.oncolink.upenn.edu/cancernet/
http://usgovsearch.northernlight.com/
http://www.americanheart.org/Scientific/statements/
www.georgetown.edu/research/nrcbl/
http://www.aafp.org/
http://www.acc.org/
http://www.mayohealth.org/home
www.aj.com
www.ajcn.org
http://www.springnet.com/
http://www.nursingworld.org/ojin/
http://www.merckhomeedition.com/
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/
http://www.cma.ca/cmaj/index.htm

I would add a brief definition to each web site, so it can be referred
to later.

AGAIN MANY,MANY THANKS!!!
Cindy

Cindy Schmidt, M.D., M.L.S.
Medical Library
PCSOM 147 Sycamore St
Pikeville, KY 41501
606-218-5150 phone
606-218-5165 fax
[log in to unmask], e-mail to Cindy, not read when Cindy is away from
work
[log in to unmask], e-mail to the Library staff, read by others when
Cindy is away from work