Non-Hospital ILL-- SUMMARY (Long)

Donna Beales <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:57:46 -0400

Here are postings on how other hospitals handle non-hospital ILL
requests.  If anyone who loans to non-hospital libraries would care to
comment on how they handle issues such as staff demand for a loaned
item after hours or while the item is in transit, I would be grateful.
Thanks to all who responded.

We are a large hospital and we do not lend anything to non-health
science libraries.  If a specific instate library called with a need
which could be supplied by photocopy, I would fill that.  Such
libraries can go to their state funded medical schools.  We do not
have the resources or the staff to extend services to other types of
libraries.  No non-health care related library has ever called me.

To be perfectly honest, the issue has never come up in my library that
 I know of- and I have 15+ years experience here.  My library is not
open to the public and we do not have any network links outside of the
health sciences (ie state, etc.).  On occassion I have loaned books to
the hospital's malpractice lawyers, but that is about it.

As a member of the North Suburban Library System within the State of
IL Library System, we list our journal holdings with the state, and do
provide ILLs to public and Academic Library, upon request.  We charge
only the for-profit sector, and only for a "transmission charge".  We
do not charge the others, even though they might charge their own
patrons.  Since we are a fairly small facility with a crowded, busy
hospital parking lot, we discourage public walk-ins, and operate
"Library to Library", often with same day response, via Fax (easier
than mailing).

When I was at a VA on the West Coast (until 12-00), we definitely
loaned to
non-hospital libraries, mostly to local colleges.  We did so, because
we
borrowed non-clinical material (or peripherally clinical) materials
from
there, so...  Our holdings were on OCLC, so they were able to locate
our
holdings that way.

has 450 acute care beds. We belong to a regional multitype library
consortium called NEFLIN - Northeast Florida Library Information
Network and have been members for about 5 years.  NEFLIN was
established in 1993.  Its membership currently consists of over 60
public, academic, K-12 school, and specialized libraries.  Two other
medical libraries - Mayo Clinic and the Veterans Administration
hospital in Gainesville - are also members.  Blue Cross of Florida is
also a member.  A requirement of membership is that our collection is
available for interlibrary loan.  We thought that we would be
overwhelmed with ILLS because of the special nature of our collection
- there being only a couple of medical libraries.  The case, however,
has been just the opposite.  I can't remember lending anything to a
nonmedical library.  In fact, I have borrowed a lot from the
universities for admnistrators and employees going back to school for
advanced degrees.  Subjects include history, business, sociology,
pschology, and philosophy - things that we do not have.
I was also planning on getting on OCLC and joining LVS which also
includes nonmedical libraries.
Our membership in NEFLIN has been of great benefit for us. I would see
if they needed a specific section and photocopy it, if not too
exhaustive.  Otherwise I would lend it - our loan period is 2 weeks.
 I would also stipulate that it might have to be returned sooner if
requested by a physician.

So far I do not recall any requests for information from books. The
reason is that we have a very small monograph collection, often not
much more than 1-2 books on a topic, and cannot afford parting with a
volume for nay length of time.  We do send bound journals out but only
to other libraries,, with the specification that they we returned via
UPS, so that there is a tracer.  It is hard enough to get materials
back on time form in-house users, so that I don't want to add insult
to injury.  We don't let rotating residents walk out of the
institution with books once they finish their rotation, since then it
is almost impossible to get the stuff back.  This is a private
institution, and we are under no obligation to provide public-library
style services.  We also are very "old-fashioned" by trying to control
direct public access  (it is "discouraged" for the lack of a a bettor
word).
We are in the neighborhood of 650 beds. We loan to libraries of
all types all over the country.  We are a member of ILLINET, the
Illinois
Library and Information Network.  Transportation of materials (like
books,
videotapes) is provided as a tax supported service by State of
Illinois
(that's a big help).  Still, most of our lending is photocopy, even
non-medical libraries.  Also, we are part of a local health sciences
consortium.  A number of university and corporate libraries that have
some
interest in the health sciences are members.  These include an
agricultural
products manufacturer, the Illinois Department of Transportation (they
train
employees CPR), etc.   Hope this helps,

At one hospital I worked in, we developed a relationship with the
local public library.  We would fill any health-related ILLs for them
(which were very few) and if we needed something that was not
health-realted, such as an article from Business Week, we could turn
to them for help.  We also had classes at their library for quality
health info on the Internet.  This helped the library when it came to
community activities, which in turn helped our finance dept when it
came to their tax-exempt status.

we are part of a multi-type consortium that is state funded.
 Essentially in Illinois the whole state is divided up into regions
and library systems (North Suburban Library System, DuPage (County)
Library System, etc.).  Public, special, even school libraries join
systems.  I did a retrospective conversion of my collection using a
grant from the state via the library system so my holdings are in
OCLC.  I DO loan my materials judiciously.  For example, I wouldn't
loan the new CPR books via ILL since I have too many internal users.
 I only have one copy of some standard basic books that are used
frequently and won't loan those but do fill ILLs for medical articles,
photocopy chapters, lend books frequently but usually only one or two
are out at a time.  We are full OCLC users.  All my costs for OCLC are
offset with lending credits and updates of information.  (Withdrawing
items gives about three times the credits you lose for
cataloging. Plus ILL credits so I'm carrying a balance of several
hundred
dollars most of the time.)  If you have an item that is heavily used,
say on
nursing research which most of the nurses in my organization use, and
I get
an ILL for one of the key books they all look at either it is already
checked out by one of the nurses in my organization or I've placed it
on
temporary reserve so I don't lend.  Anyone can come in and use items
in
house so that helps folks in the Chicago metro area.

We do either through the State Library of Iowa's ILL system (SILO) or
through OCLC. Since Iowa is very rural, many small hospitals use their
local public library for all types of information and it is another
way of reaching health care colleagues. Also, we need non medical
resources which are in public libraries so there is reciprocity.

We have a regional system of libraries, 4 regions in NJ.  Each region
has a resource library which the smaller libraries can utilize.  There
are also other large libraries who we can contact for subject
expertese (business, health, chemistry, etc).  However, the major
universities (Princeton, Rutgers) will not participate in any
reciprocal borrowing arrangements with the smaller libraries.  We have
to pay them for any photocopies.  (Considerable fees, too, not just
nominal copy charges)  Rutgers, being a tax subsidized university
system, I think, should  be offering some service to we smaller
libraries.  That is my personal opinion.  They have some resources
which are obviously not available  in hospital and public libraries,
especially drug journals.

We've bought into Ohiolink, a statewide higher education organization.
 Our library holdings are shared into the statewide virtual library,
www.ohiolink.edu as if we were a departmental library of MCO, the
state medical school across town.  We do ILL across the state using
their circulation software, and we do ILL to
hospitals/libraries/agencies outside Ohiolink using our previous ILL
system.  There are some crunchy bits in this- finding that overdue
notices are not what we expected, finding that we must change our loan
interval and fines policies to fit the MCO policies- but they are
minor adjustments.
Why did we do it?  Access to the Ohiolink Electronic Journal Center,
continuity with other cooperative ventures across town (MCO and SVMMC
have a children's hospital together, many educational programs from
MCO rotate their students & residents through our hospital, etc) and a
structure to share materials across the state in a well-organized,
recognized way.  Ohiolink is an excellent service to higher education
in Ohio. We lend our materials to anyone. In state, we have a
reciprocal agreement.  There are about about 45 libraries in this
group, mostly public, school or academic, with a few medical
libraries. Out of state we charge $10.00 per item. Our reference
collection is non-circulating. I would think if someone needed a
particular item they would find the most current info in our reference
collection, so a book or item that is circulating & out would not be a
problem. Otherwise, we do have another medical library in our city &
physicians & residents have no qualm about going over there if we
don't have a particular item.

Public libraries are not in the Ohiolink system, only higher education
places-although some of those (community colleges, small religious
colleges) are smaller than big public libraries.
We don't lend any reference books or journal issues; we have videos,
but they are not "in the collection" so far as Ohiolink is concerned,
so we don't lend them around the state.  Most of our collection of
clinical books can be borrowed, but the latest editions of clinical
textbooks are often "Reference" and not for loan.

Donna Beales
Lowell General Hospital
Health Science Library
Lowell, MA