]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

CLIMATEACTION Home

CLIMATEACTION  November 2001

CLIMATEACTION November 2001

Re: Reminder, ACA mtg Nov 1, CCTA offices

Tony Redington <[log in to unmask]>

Burlington Climate Protection Task Force <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Nov 2001 14:38:31 -0500

Dear Deb:

        Below are lots of comments on the flyer.  Please do not take
offense--they are constructive and combined with comments by
others shold lead to thesis/antithesis/synthesis approach.  Much of
my view is that of one that was divorced on how we got to where we
are.

        This is all new stuff and we are breaking new ground so,
anyway, here it is.

                                                        Tony

{ SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1}COMMENTS ON DRAFT FLYER–

Generally, excellent color, design, photos, etc.

Here are some specific suggestions meant to be constructive!!

1.  Title panel–we agreed that the program needs to be presented as an
“area,” “regional,” or something to that effect while retaining”Burlington”
since that is where the initial emphasis is.
2.  The Title Panel should itself contain a few word explanation of that the
“10% Challenge” is., i.e., a reduction of GHGs by 10% form (current?)
levels.
3.  Address panel is somewhat confusing–“if sent us your name and address
and we will contact you” means the person fills in the blanks, there is not mail
address on the flyer anywhere, just the email/telephone on another panel.
4.  “How the 10% Challenge Works Panel”:
--       # 2, “...determine your annual pounds of greenhouse gas emissions
--      #5.  “Use carbon emissions calculator to determine your  progress
toward achieving the 10% Challenge and estimated pounds of GHGs reduced
        –intro paragraph, express consistency with our discussion of “whoi lives
or works in Burlington (area?  region? County?)
        –how about three easy steps to “join up”/participate–the first three steps
get you in.  The lat two are really your followup tasks way down the path.
5.  Inside Panel 1 (left):
        –“Enlist” everyone in the community–citizens, homeowners, businesses,
government, students (visitors??), etc.
        “Report”–“using a common platform” is quite abstruse.  Keep words
and thoughts to 8th grade level.  Thinks of the brochure as one that could be
used by elementary aged students.
6.  Inside  Middle Panel
    –first symbol–the $300,000 is that per year/for the decade–i.e., what
    are the annualized savings–if we mean “annually saves Burlington
    $300,000 and cuts 2,200 tons of carbon dioxide” say so.  Is the
    2,200 below the 1990 level?  Current level?  What is the reference
    point?  Does it count towards our goal–or is it “avoided,” i.e., a new
    building that under old codes would have used more.
        –second symbol–how about making this the first panel since it states the
problem!  Also there is confusion here of a 1990-2005 compared to a 10%
goal of the City Council by 2010.  My understanding was that we would
reduce 10% from current levels based on discussions (i.e., we were not
seeking right away the Kyoto protocol cut of about 10% from the 1990
level).  Maybe I am confused.
        –third symbol–what is the value of compost production in terms of
GHGs??  More potential here?
        –fourth symbol–GHGs from typical car, what miles per year is this
average car and average mph (most would think average mpg might be about
20 mpg–looked it up in FHWA “Highway Statistics” which for 1999 has
21.4 for cars and 17.1 for pickups/vans/SUVs)

        –fifth symbol–20,000 bike/bus related trips   Yearly??
        –boxed info at bottom–Agree with Bob Penniman that federal tax law
provides employee
 tax free commuter  transit/vanpool benefit (actually jumps to $100 starting in
January, so that is the figure to use!!), and this benefit is part of a menu of
options for the EPA’s Commuter Choice Leadership  Initiative aimed at all
employers
7. Inside right panel
        –1st paragraph.  Drop “ICLEI” and at bottom under 1996 use
“Burlington  joins ‘
Cities for Climate Protection’”
        –1st paragraph.  Again, what is the baseline percentage of 10% applied
to, 1990 or 2000 GHG levels?  Unclear

        Other general comments:

1.  Photos–two rustic scenes of bicycling and compost do synchronize very
well with Burlington as our one big metropolitan place.  A transit bus in
plenty of traffic, Champlain Flyer (??), large parking lot/congested
intersection, people on sidewalk, etc.
2.  The “mail” panel–would re-allocating this space for more info, photos or
whatever make any sense.   “Catch line” for bottom left, a gallon of gas equal
20 pounds of principal greenhouse gas, CO2; Let’s make our valley green,
greening up the Champlain Valley air;
3.  Think–again–about the impact this would have on the huge student
population who are a hidden potential/resource for support and participation
(creating contests/papers for credit for ideas, marketing, concepts, innovative
applied methods, etc.)   Forgive the ramble here!!

--

Tony Redington
Vt. Dept. of Public Service