]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ISOGEOCHEM Home

ISOGEOCHEM  November 2001

ISOGEOCHEM November 2001

Announce: New Micromass/VG User Web Site and List Server

"Wassenaar,Len [NHRC]" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:42:48 -0600

ANNOUNCEMENT

We are pleased to announce a dedicated Micromass/VG/Fisons IRMS Users Group
web site and list server. The goal of this web site and email based list
server is to develop an internationally accessible technical knowledgebase,
to facilitate communication, and to aid in technical problem solving
specifically amongst users of Micromass/VG/Fisons stable isotope-ratio
mass-spectrometers.

For details please visit:  http://207.195.94.13/mmuser/

Note: This is NOT a Micromass UK Ltd sponsored website or email list.

The primary and quickest means of user communication and interaction is by
subscribing to the email based List Server.

Who should subscribe to the email list?

 - Researchers that routinely use or conduct R&D on modern Micromass or
older VG/Fisons stable IRMS systems
 - Isotope lab managers or technicians that use and service Micromass or
older VG/Fisons stable IRMS systems
 - Graduate students learning Micromass or older VG/Fisons stable IRMS
systems
 - IRMS service engineers

How do I subscribe?

    1. Compose an email message to: [log in to unmask]
    2. Leave the subject field blank
    3. In the main body of type or copy this command:  subscribe
mm_irms_user-L
    4. Do not include or delete any other text in the message (i.e.
signatures)
    5. Send the email message - you will shortly receive confirmation and
welcome message

How can I post a message or question to the entire user group?

    1. Compose an email message to: [log in to unmask]  (first you need
to be subscribed - see above)
    2. Include a short descriptive subject field heading
    3. In the main body type your message to the group
    4. Send the email message to the group

The Micromass/VG/Fisons IRMS Users Group Web Site

The second means of interaction and in developing an internationally
accessible user knowledgebase are the instrument specific web pages located
at http://207.195.94.13/mmuser. On these web pages we plan to compile user
driven solutions to Optima/Isoprime/Prism/Sira/602/903 hardware and software
problems, and to cover technical issues that may be applicable to these
specific instruments.  Solutions will compiled over time from the list
server, user contributions, from Micromass, and also from the Isogeochem
list server. User contributions specific to modern Micromass and older
VG-Fisons IRMS systems in the form of short notes, custom software, lab
manuals, and photos to aid other users are solicited for posting.  This web
site will be updated monthly, and more frequently at first to get it going.

For an example, we have posted some brief troubleshooting tips on the
"Optima Troubleshooting" pages.  We hope others will be able to provide the
same for other instruments.

Note: The improvement and success of this accessible knowledgebase will
depend entirely on the participation and contributions of users of
Micromass/VG/Fisons stable isotope-ratio instruments.

We hope this endeavor will be of use to the Micromass/VG/Fisons IRMS user
community.  The intent of this site is to focus on specific IRMS
technologies, rather than the broader scientific aims of the Isogeochem list
which may not be of great interest to those with more technical interests
and concerns.

Sincerely,

Dr. Len Wassenaar
Dr. Geoff Koehler