ISOGEOCHEM November 2001

Re: Real32

Gilles St-Jean <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:11:00 -0500

Hi Pat
I was evaluating a version of ISODAT NT and wanted the dualboot option for
both REAL32 and NT4.  However I didn't want to loose my previous setup and
methods. I tried using an 8Gig drive but REAL32 had a hard time with it;
same as discussed before, Real32 would not boot.  Even though I had all the
right settings for the 8Gig harddrive(HD)  It may work with some large
models of HD but not all, it may have to do with drives that can work on
different ATA protocols (ATA-33, ATA-66, ATA-100).  I tried different BIOS
settings for the HD such as LBA and standard addressing.  Real32 has a hard
time with large drives (>1024 cylinders) which also exists on smaller drives
2-3 Gigs.  LBA is supposed to address this but on some HD the info returned
from the drive itself is causing problems with Real32.  So I found a 2.4 gig
drive that I partitionned into 0.6Gigs for Real32 and the rest for NT4.
Here is the order in which to do this.

To save a previous Isodat installation or to just get a new
installation(ignore the directory transfers) with dual boot

1) Transfer your Isodat directories (Isotst etc.) to a ZIP disk.  WITHOUT
the files in the root directory.
2) Partition the small drive into 2 sections.  One for REAL32 and the other
for NT4 or 2000.  Format the C drive as FAT16.
3) Install NT first. Format the D drive as FAT, or better yet NTFS, with the
installation disks.  Install NT on D.  Finish all of your NT installation
(network support, Zipdisk drivers etc.) and put in the Service Pack (SP-6a
for NT4) at the end.  If you have Network access use the "Windows Update" in
Internet Explorer 5 for further Security patchs(Not serious for stand alone
machine).
4) Install Real32 on C, it will create the DualBoot file.
5) Install the same version of ISODAT you wish to use from the previous
installation as if it was a new installation.  If you make a mistake it
doesn't matter since you will transfer the old files back from the Zipdisk
to recreate your previous installation.
6) Run the realupd.bat file
7) Reboot into NT and, in Windows Explorer, transfer from the Zip disk the
Isodat directories you saved (Drag and drop).

And voila you are now dualboot into REAL32 and NT with your previous
installation and methods in ISODAT.  When you archive ISOBASE you can then
go into NT to save your archived sample data onto a Zipdisk or move the data
to a different location on your Network(CD-burner for example).

Note: The presence of an unrecognised HD by REAL32 (2nd large physical HD in
the computer) will cause REAL32 to hang even if the first drive is small.
Also remember that for NT4, the partition into which the system is installed
CAN NOT be bigger than 4Gigs (Back then this was huge).  Further partitions
can be bigger but not the system one.

Gilles