SKIVT-L November 2001, Week 2

Gash Point, MT 11NOV01 (5 Images)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Nov 2001 01:25:17 -0500

As winter approaches, E and I have had a chance to check out some of the
local ski options here in Hamilton Montana.  Although November has thus far
been dry, October was a pretty wet month, with a number of episodes of
high-elevation snow.  Last weekend (Nov 4) we checked out a local peak
called Ward Mountain (elevation 9119') in order to look at the potential for
skiing, and to get a general idea of the snowpack.  Starting from the
trailhead (4320'), we encountered the first traces of snow at 6700' and
consistent snowpack of about a foot by the time we hit 7500'.  From that
point, we put on snowshoes and continued up.  Unfortunately, the trail was
not well blazed, and we lost it due to the snowpack.  We finally topped out
at 8200' on a shoulder of the mountain near a radio tower.  Although we
could see the peak in the distance, we didn't have time to get to it without
setting ourselves up for a dark descent.  However, we did get a chance to
check out the snowpack at 8200'.  It consisted of 6 inches of medium-weight
powder over a consolidated base of about 2 feet.  With regard to ski
terrain, the best stuff we found was unfortunately south facing, but
consisted of some nice open trees and meadows in the 5000'-7000' range.
Yesterday, we had the chance to ski one of the more regular backcountry
spots in the area known as Gash Point.  One of my colleagues at work (John)
was heading up with some friends (Colin and Nicky) from Missoula.  Gash
Point is outside the town of Victor, about 10 miles north of Hamilton.  The
skiing takes place in an area of east-facing bowls on the eastern edge of
the Bitterroots.  To get a better idea of the area, follow the link to the
images at the bottom of this message.  Access to the skiing is via the Gash
Creek Road, which seems to be a Forest service road (dirt), and travels
about 10 miles, winding across and into the mountains toward the Gash Point
area.  When the snow builds up, the road can become impassable and
snowmobiles are a common option to get to the trailhead.  For this early
season trip however, we were able to drive to the furthest trailhead access,
just a couple of miles from the main bowl.  At the trailhead, the altimeter
was reading 5805' (important observation for later) and there was no snow.
Thus, even the telemarkers John, Colin, and Nicky wore their hiking boots
and carried their skis on their packs.  I double checked with E that she
indeed had the key to the car, she acknowledged that she did, and I placed
my keys in the car and locked it up.  This little bit of info will also come
into play a little later, so stay tuned.

For clarification purposes, I've detailed an image of the areas we skied.
Simply open the link below in a new window, and follow along with the
picture as you read the text.  The numbers in parentheses in the text (#)
correspond to the numbers in the detail figure.

The main bowl (1) in the area is drained by Gash Creek, and the trail we
were following hugged the north edge of the drainage.  We followed the trail
along the edge of the drainage for about a half mile before we cut off trail
and headed towards the creek at a place that the others knew.  There was a
small carved arrow in a tree, hardly noticeable if you weren't looking for
it.  The route we took was relatively well worn, in open woods with some
ledges, and we eventually crossed the creek to the south side of the
drainage.  Surprisingly, we found the first traces of snow at an elevation
of only 6200', and by 6700' there was consistent snowcover.  Since the snow
at this level was well packed, there was no need for snowshoes or skins.  We
soon approached the bowl and found ourselves in a bit of a meadow which gave
way to a lower headwall.  The snow here was pretty horrible, generally
refrozen corn with an unbreakable crust.  Fortunately, the snow got much
better with elevation and shade.  Once in the bowl (~7500'), we cut across
it from south (5) to north, finding areas of unbreakable frozen crud with
some areas of corn snow depending on sun exposure.  We made our way up the
north edge of the bowl and topped out on a local peak (8485') for lunch (2).
  Everyone stayed in boots the whole way, since the snow was solid enough.
We were rewarded with views of the Bitterroots to the north, south, and
west, and a bit to the northwest we could see Gash Point itself (8886').
After a quick lunch, it was time to ski.  Since the main bowl was exposed to
the sun and the snow was not fun at all, we decided to hit the next area
over, a broad gully (4) which faced just a bit more to the north and was
partially shaded.  This gully (I labeled it as "the chute" on the map)
however, dropped into the next drainage (Sweathouse Creek) and meant that we
would have to hike back up before we could finish out skiing in the main
bowl.  The gully started out at a pitch of 30-35 degrees, but fortunately
the well consolidated snowpack meant that slides were not a big concern.
Colin jumped in first and was rewarded with about 6-12 inches of dry powder
over the packed base.  Everyone eventually jumped in, finding the snow
generally a consistent layer of powder, although a few pockets of wind/sun
crust existed.  The three telemarkers continued on down to the bottom of the
pitch (~1000 vertical) while E and I stopped about halfway down, not wanting
to hike the entire pitch in boots.  The others skinned back up, but John
said the skins weren't sticking very well in the dry powder.  E and I cut
across over to the main bowl and hiked up there, since the corn/crud was
much easier to deal with than wallowing in the powder.  I made another small
run on the ridge between the bowl and the chute (3), while the telemarkers
ran another full lap to the bottom.  The lighting was pretty good and we
shot some video as well.
Finally, it was time to head out via the main bowl.  I decided to cut across
to the south side of the bowl (5) which provided the most shade, and found
much better conditions than the rest of the bowl.  The others cut lower in
the bowl and had to "survival ski" as they put it, on top of the refrozen
crud.  We all eventually worked our way over to the south side of the bowl
and skied it out from there.  As we got lower, even the shaded snow turned
into a horrible frozen mess, but I kept my skis on through the meadow and
into the woods below.
Gradually, everyone switched from ski boots to hiking boots, and I caught up
with E while she was changing boots.  Everyone else had gone on ahead, and
we followed along through the open woods and ledges, the route we thought
would lead us back to the trail.  We soon realized it was not the same way
we had come in.  Before long, we were bushwhacking through areas of deadfall
and making horrible time in our effort to find the trail.  We were 99% sure
that we were at least in the correct drainage (Gash Creek), and we knew the
we needed to hug its north edge, but each time we found what we though was a
trail, it turned out to be a faint game path or nothing at all.  The biggest
concern was that darkness was rapidly approaching, and we had not brought
light.  We continued as best we could through tangled underbrush, deadfalls,
and dense pines, all the time with our skis on our backs catching on
anything they could (we all know how frustrating that is) and slowing our
progress even more.  We knew that we needed to be north of the stream in the
area, and imagine our surprise when we could hear it, and we were SOUTH of
it.  :(  Although I had map and compass, they were not really all that
helpful, since we knew which direction we were heading, and generally where
we were.  Fortunately, the altimeter came in handy.  We had crossed the
stream at ~6000' and knew that the car was at a reading of 5805', so we
couldn't drop below that level.  We continued working our way along the
north end of the drainage, slowly edging downward as many of the false paths
seemed to go.  I favored a higher route, while E a slightly lower one, so we
searched both areas and kept in sight.
Finally, the altimeter bottomed out at 5800'.  I called down to E who was a
bit below me, "That's it, we can't go ANY lower, we have to hold this
contour line".  We now had about 15 minutes of light left, and the thought
of spending the night in the woods was creeping ever so slowly forward in my
head.  Holding the 5800' contour line was not all that easy, just like the
Old Forest in "The Fellowship of the Ring", the forest seemed to want to
push us downward to the stream.  But, we held the line, and after about 5-10
minutes I found what seemed to be the most defined trail yet, and a large
clear area upward to our left.  A few moments later I spotted a vehicle, and
fortunately, it was OUR vehicle.
I virtually sprinted the last 50 yards to the car, only imagining how
worried the others must have been.  Strangely, the others weren't anywhere
to be found!  I checked their car, no note on the windshield, and none of
their gear was at the car.  Could we have possibly gotten here first?  Could
they be lost?  I didn't think either of these was possible with their local
knowledge of the trail.  It was about this time that E came to a horrible
realization.  She had taken the single key off her key chain for the car,
and left the remaining keys locked up inside.  Unfortunately, she had
removed the key to our OTHER car, leaving us entirely locked out.
While we pondered this new predicament, I heard a voice from the forest
shout my name, it sounded like John.  I shouted back that we were at the
car, and the remaining hikers soon appeared out of the forest, their skis
still on their backs.  They had stopped where they met the trail and waited
for us, eventually searching around the woods to see if we had hit the trail
in a different spot.  It turns out that we passed way below them, out of
sight in the woods.  We soon apprised them of our NEW situation with the
keys, and we all stuffed into Colin's car and took the long trek through the
dark forest back to Victor.  Despite our situation, the chance to see the
twinkling lights way down in the Bitterroot Valley was a plus.  When we
finally got home, we decided to deal with the car situation the next
morning, which has been remedied thanks to AAA.

Images associated with this report (5 images) can be seen at:

http://www.uvm.edu/~jsilveir/11NOV01.html

Hopefully I've figured out publishing web pages with this new program, but
if there is a problem, let me know.

J.Spin