]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  December 2001, Week 1

MEDLIB-L December 2001, Week 1

Re: Arrangemnent of reference collection

"Pope, Barbara" <[log in to unmask]>

Pope, Barbara

Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:33:19 -0600

I agree that to many patrons reference is reference is reference. However,
having looked at this as a Reference, a shelver, and as a patron, I kind of
like having things divided up into Ready Reference (things like almanacs,
dictionary, stat abstract, etc.), Index tables for paper indexes, and
Reference. Index tables are also convenient because patrons can actually sit
at the tables to write down their citations, which as we all know, sometimes
takes awhile. It is also convenient for the Reference Librarian to have a
few titles close at hand for phone reference questions. As a former shelver
during library school, I can speak for the fact that is a nightmare
separating all the books into their respective categories for shelving.
Sometimes other shelvers did not know where things went, which created more
work for others.

Barbara M. Pope, MLS
Reference Librarian
St. Louis College of Pharmacy