SKIVT-L December 2001, Week 4

Re: Vertical Gluttony

Scott Braaten <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:47:57 -0500

Sounds great Jim...I was up at Gore yesturday and it was sweet as well.
Mostly groomed except the northside was doing this "Natural North" thing.
No grooming, no snowmaking, no maintance...hmmm.  We did a bunch of runs
down trails like Sleeping Bear and Tahawus.  Even though they are
intermediate, when there are large rocks, stumps, untracked and narrow
windy parts it made it very interesting.  I wonder if gore plans to do that
all year long? They had big signs printed out and everything and it was
like skiing through an access gate to get into the area.

I see with whatever garbage fell last night, they closed the northside but
it was nice to see Gore not groom something. Showcase was the bomber of the
day as everyone sticks to the gondi and the liftline over there..very few
skiers on the Triple and on Showcase..Showcase also had the best snow.

Hawkeye and top opens Thursday..with a little luck maybe they will open
something else up as there seems to be plenty of natural snow from midmtn
upward.

Scott

On Sun, 23 Dec 2001 21:23:06 -0500, Jimski <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>        "What a difference a week makes."
>        " Get out there and ski!"
>            WAW  Stowe 2001-12-21
>
>Our fearless leader, WAW, hit the nail right on the head.  I started my
vacation on Friday with what I thought was going to be some mediocre skiing
on one trail down from the Gondi at Whiteface.  Boy was I wrong!  The
little snowmakers have been busy over there.  Top to bottom (little WF) had
Excelsior complete, Excelsior into lower Northway, Essex (bonus of the
day), and Approach to Upper Wilderness/Lower Wilderness.  Upper Valley was
better than I have ever seen it.  It hadn't had time to melt and refreeze
or get skied off and glazed at all.  They also had Broadway from the top of
the valley triple as an alternate to mid station.  Yes it was groomed and
mostly man made but the carving was really, really sweet.  It wasn't late
season bottomless powder at Jay or MRG but it was FUN!!!   If I didn't have
a pass I would say it was more than well worth $35.  Lower Valley was
exquisite.  Again, what a difference a week can make.

>Shana and I got there after 9:00 and easily got a close spot in the first
parking lot across the bridge.  Most people hadn't started vacation yet and
the hoards had not arrived for the holidays.  I had to try my new V3's
again because last Saturday just didn't do them justice.  Well I got my
money's worth Friday.  23,900 ft of vert on day #3 of this season and I
paid for it dearly Friday night and all day Saturday.  Lest Jimme Quinn
give me an "ahem,ahem" :-)  let me explain the math.  Eight total gondi
runs at 2650 each and three Lower Wilderness runs at 900 ft. each.  It's
not like me to simply churn out the vert. unless I'm trying to chase a gang
of vittlers at MRG or Jay or something but the skiing was so dang delicious
that I simply kept saying "just one more, just one more."  Telenaut would
have loved it, except I did practically pass out and left by 3:15 and could
have gotten one last one in.  Shana followed me run for run, turn for turn
on her board all day on her first day out.  She says, "wow, it feels like I
have been doing this all summer."  Dang 19 year olds. :-)  I'd say, "one
more on Essex, or one more on Wilderness" and she would stoically
grunt, "yeah, sure."  I wonder if one gets better at snowboarding from year
to year without actually doing it in the off season.

> The performance of those skis made it even more impossible to slow down
or ease up.  They just want to scream!!  They are an excellent replacement
for the V21's that broke on me last season and are everything  the ski mag
write ups claim they are.  Of course it remains to be seen how they will
handle heavy deep powder and tracked up crud like last year gave plenty of
but I was very satisfied with the V 21's at Jay Peak and MRG and the slides
on Whiteface last year.  They aren't super phats but they will be plenty
versatile for average eastern conditions.   It looks like I may have to
slice and dice more ice than pow this year but hopefully I will be wrong.

>In the wipe out department I out did my daughter by a long shot.  At one
point she caught a heel edge in a snow bank and plopped down on her butt,
rolled over, came up on toe side and never really missed a beat.  I, on the
other hand, did a classic on the steepest part of Wilderness.  It was last
run of the day and my legs were spaghetti.  Running on adrenalin I was
determined to make it my best run.  I was jamming a nice little two width
mogul line on the far left side just trying to see how much I could get out
of the skis, and they kept asking for more.  I got caught between two
moguls pointing at the side of the trail and saw I was aimed right at some
nasty trees.  I twisted upper body back into the trail off balance rather
than eat bark and wound up booking straight down the fall line hanging back
over my right ski uphill edge with the left one off the ground and couldn't
get back up out of the back seat.  I biffed over three moguls and  Shana
described it as a white explosion that she couldn't see me at all and one
ski shot straight up out of the whole scene.  When the snow settled the ski
had stopped almost instantly and I hadn't even slid another 50 yards.
That's pretty amazing for that particular trail and pitch.  I stopped
before my brain could tell my body to try and self arrest.  It validates my
assessment of the snow surface conditions in that neither I nor my ski,
with brakes and all, slid another thousand feet down the trail.  Don't
laugh, I have seen it happen when conditions are a little more stiff.

>Well I am psyched!  The drizzle has started as I type this but TWC says
changing to snow by AM and 1-3 inches during the day tomorrow and 2-4 over
tomorrow night into Tue.  I am going skiing tomorrow and I don't care what
type of precip is occurring.  Gondolas are good for keeping one's butt dry
on the way up.  :-)  Then I hope to do Wed straight thru New Years for 7 in
a row.  Not like last Friday I assure you as I hope to have Shirley with
me  a few days.  After Jan 1st I may not have another chance till SWIII.  I
have a feeling that this season is going to get consistently better but
perhaps no where as dramatic as last year.  Maybe I'll be wrong and it will
dump, dump, dump.