]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

I2-TEAM Home

I2-TEAM  January 2002

I2-TEAM January 2002

I2 : The Future of Virtual Collaboration / A Virtual Briefing

Steve Cavrak <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Internet2 Development Team <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:19:53 -0500

Dear Colleagues:

I would like to encourage you to participate in this
Thursday’s Internet2 Virtual Briefing, January 24, 1:00
pm to 2:30 pm EST (-5 UTC).  The Briefing, entitled “The
Future of Virtual Collaboration: Perspectives on an
Agenda for Action,” will draw upon the expertise of
Noshir Contractor, University of Illinois
Urbana-Champaign; Mike Eisenberg, University of
Washington; Stuart Kippelman, Johnson & Johnson; and
Larry Rowe, University of California-Berkeley.  David
Lassner, University of Hawaii, will moderate the event.
The speakers, who are from Internet2 member
organizations, will talk about the impact of virtual
collaboration technologies on their work, their
disciplines, their campuses, and their businesses.Each
will discuss how they see both technical and social
structures changing, and will advocate for critical
issues to be addressed in the coming year.

Connection testing for remote H.323 viewing sites is
scheduled to start at 4:00 pm EST (-5 UTC) on Wednesday,
January 23.  The MCU will be up continuously during that
time until the session ends on Thursday.  There are two
methods for connecting:

METHOD 1:
Register with the I2 Gatekeeper: 192.148.244.115
Dial 78*0850

METHOD 2:
If your Gatekeeper is on ViDe:
Dial #6127674391978*0850
where # is your exit prefix (usually 0).

More information on connection technologies (which
include Real and IPTV in addition to H.323), along with
documentation for these forms of access is available
from the Virtual Collaboration session page at
http://www.internet2.edu/activities/html/20020124.html

Following the end of the speakers' presentations, there
will be 10-15 minutes of Q&A, moderated by David
Lassner.  Those coming from H.323 sites will be able to
ask questions live.  Questions can also be emailed to
[log in to unmask] at any time up to and during
the briefing.  Ted Hanss and I will receive these and
relay them to the speakers during the Q&A period.

Viewers will be asked to register before joining the
Briefing (registration link is on the Virtual
Collaboration session page).  First-time participants
will also benefit from the information about
videoconferencing etiquette (link also on this page).
Finally, we encourage everyone to take just a few
minutes to complete the Briefings Survey at the close of
the session.

I hope you will plan to join us for a lively and
provocative session!

Best regards,

        Laurie