SCHOOL-IT January 2002

Re: New "Myparty" virus

Bill Romond <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:45:49 -0500

Norton has picked up this virus as it came into my e-mail approximately five
times in the last two days..... which tells me that it IS circulating in our
Vermont educational "neck of the woods" and that Norton Live Update
downloads the info to protect against this.

Bill Romond

Educational Technology Coordinator
Vermont Dept. of Education
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-2501
V: 802-828-0064
F: 802-828-3140

-----Original Message-----
From: School Information Technology Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Vince Rossano
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 11:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: New "Myparty" virus

Nancy,

The "Myparty" virus is one of those common "mass-mailing" type viruses which
send itself to everyone in your address book.  None of the info I've read on
this virus indicates that it interferes with opening other attachments.
It's a new virus though, so maybe all its effects haven't been documented
yet.

You can tell if you've been infected by the following indicators:

Presence of C:\RECYCLED\REGCTRL.EXE (visible from a DOS prompt, not from
within Windows)
Presence of C:\REGCTRL.EXE
Presence of %userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\msstask.exe

If those are there, you should obtain the latest DAT file for your
anti-virus program (well, you should have that in any case) and then run a
full system scan.  And you should delete the above-mentioned files.

Here is more complete info from Norton A-V's site.
W32.Myparty@mm arrives as an email with the following characteristics:

Subject: new photos from my party!
Message:
Hello!

My party... It was absolutely amazing!
I have attached my web page with new photos!
If you can please make color prints of my photos. Thanks!

When it is executed, the worm first checks the date. If the computer date is
not between January 25 to 29, 2002 or if the keyboard settings are set to
Russian, the worm copies itself to:

and exits.

Otherwise, the worm continues.

The worm next checks its own file name, and performs different actions
depending on the file name or extension:

If the file name is "Access" the worm attempts to launch your Web browser to
http:/ /www.disney.com and exits. However, the worm does not contain code
which can generate a file with the name Access.<any extension>, so it is
highly unlikely that this will trigger.

If the file name has a .com extension, the worm copies itself to one of the
following locations:

C:\Regctrl.exe (Windows NT/2000/XP)
C:\Recycled\Regctrl.exe (Windows 95/98/Me).

and then executes the Regctrl.exe file.
If the file name has a .exe extension such as Regctrl.exe, the worm begins
its propagation routine:
1. The worm searches the Windows address book that is used by Microsoft
Outlook and Outlook Express, and through files with the extension .dbx in
the Microsoft Outlook Express folder for email addresses. (The .dbx files
are Microsoft Outlook Express folders and inboxes.)
2. The worm sends itself to these email addresses using its own SMTP engine.
The worm uses the default SMTP server address that is configured on the
computer. The From: address is set to your email address.
3. On Windows NT/2000/XP computers the worm creates a backdoor Trojan:

%Windows%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\msstask.exe

so that it is executed when you start Windows. This backdoor trojan contacts
a Webpage at 209.151.250.170 which allows the author to have access to the
computer. Depending on the contents of the Webpage, the backdoor will
perform different actions.

Finally, the worm sends a message to [log in to unmask], allowing the author
to track how far the worm has spread.

Removal instructions:

1. Run LiveUpdate to make sure that you have the most recent virus
definitions.
2. Start Norton AntiVirus (NAV), and make sure that NAV is configured to
scan all files. For instructions on how to do this, read the document How to
configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files.
3. Run a full system scan.
4. Delete all files that are detected as W32.Myparty@mm or Backdoor.Myparty.

=============

Vince Rossano
District Technology Coordinator
Montpelier Public Schools
58 Barre Street
Montpelier, VT 05602

Voice: (802) 229-5355
Fax: (802) 223-6146
Email: [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/29/02 05:52AM >>>
Thanks, Phil. Unfortunately, I opened this message late yesterday afternoon
at school. I didn't notice any problem until today when I am having trouble
receiving attachments. I logged onto the website below but there are no
instructions as to what to do. I did not open the photo and have discarded
the message. Can you tell me what to do?
--
Nancy Mark
Principal