]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  January 2002, Week 3

SKIVT-L January 2002, Week 3

Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT 19JAN02 (1st time on Tele skis)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Jan 2002 01:04:16 -0500

     I just found out yesterday that Lost Trail was having a Telemark demo
day on Saturday, and it seemed like the perfect opportunity to try Tele
skiing for the 1st time.  E and I had to take care of some things in
Missoula on Saturday morning, but we got home as soon as we could and headed
to Lost Trail.  This meant that we didn’t arrive until after 2:00 P.M., but
that’s the nice thing about having a season’s pass.  In the past few days,
Lost Trail has received about a foot of new snow, so conditions were
excellent.
     As it turns out, a local Missoula Telemark/outdoor store known as
Pipestone was running the demos, everything was free and they had tons of
equipment.  They were really friendly, and asked us if we had ever Tele
skied before, which we hadn’t.  From there they set us up with some boots
(turns out they were Scarpa T2) and skis (180 cm Atomic TM 22).  They gave
us a couple of pointers and we headed off to the bunny slope.
     We had figured that learning Tele skiing would be like learning to
snowboard, so we anticipated spending the rest of the day (about an hour or
so) on the bunny slope.  I had only tried Telemark style turns on my Nordic
equipment, which was pretty unstable, so I figured it would take a while to
find balance.  Well, this wasn’t the case on this setup.  The boots were
really stable, and after a couple of turns it already started to get fun.
When we got to the bottom of the bunny slope, we contemplated grabbing the
rope tow back up to the top, but decided things were going smoothly enough
to head on down to chair 2 via the long green slope known as Drifter.  We
were a little concerned about a short blue pitch on this trail, but soon
found out the increased pitch actually helped!  Conditions were nice and
soft, and the skis bit right in.
     After the short blue pitch, we mellowed out to green again, and kept
refining our Tele-turns.  At first during my turns, my back ski was sort of
skittish (E didn’t have this problem and I was jealous), so I figured I
should put some more weight on it.  Shifting the weight back just a smidge
took care of that problem, and let the skis act like one big edge in a
carve.  It really is a lot like Alpine skiing in a slightly different
stance.  Over at the edge of the trail there was about a foot of nice light
powder, so I figured I’d take a shot in there and see what it felt like…

Oooh man was that sweet! (drool)

     My favorite part was the feeling of the powder washing up against the
knee of my back leg (this is the knee that gets really low).  It was just
like everyone always says about skiing powder Tele style, you really get
down in it.  E saw me over there and jumped in herself.  After that pitch,
she said, “Wow, that was like being one with the snow!”  We were both
giggling like a couple of nuts.  We finished off the trail, grabbing a few
more stashes of powder and worked on smoothing out the turns and the
transitions in between.  We got on the lift and it was non-stop chatter
about what it was like to ski on Telemark skis.
     Since that trail had gone so well, we decided to hit something a bit
steeper and headed off in the direction of North Bowl/Speedway (mild blue in
steepness).  There was lots of nice cut up powder here and we started to
really get the hang of turning.  Things got a bit faster and we (OK maybe I)
got a bit louder.  We finished off the trail with a short stash of untracked
in some small evergreens.  The powder was light and heavenly and we wanted
more!
     Our time was growing short, and we had just enough time for one more
run.  We decided to go for the trifecta and hit a black trail.  We chose
Thunder, a standard black run with a few hundred verts of moguls that should
be enough to give us the feeling of Telemark skiing in bumps.  In my first
few turns, I found my weight shifting back and I had to rescue myself by
finishing off the turns Alpine style (this was actually more of a reflex
action than a conscious decision).  I was watching E, and she was doing the
same thing.  We redoubled our efforts to stay in the Tele stance through the
whole turn, and gradually improved.  By the end of the bumps we were both
connecting turns well in Tele stance the whole way.  It’s a little different
than skiing bumps on Alpines because your footprint is larger and the
transition is slower, but I found that if I hopped from stance to stance, I
could quicken up the turns.
     At this point, we had to return the skis because the lifts were
shutting down, and we were NOT psyched.  We squiggled some last turns
through the powder on the side of the trail and reluctantly returned the
equipment.  We talked with the folks from Pipestone and told them how much
fun we had.  They of course had that happy, “Ohhhhh, yeahhh, we totally know
manner :)”, and they were very supportive.  No joke, if money wasn’t an
issue, I would go out A.S.A.P. and get a Tele setup.  If I had to compare it
to Alpine skiing, I’d say it really comes across as another flavor.  Of
course, right now that flavor is really new and I want more of it.  The
equipment is a lot more stable than I thought it would be (the woman who set
us up with boots did say that these T2s were really nice and stable too).
     If you’ve even had a remote interest in trying Telemark skiing, keep on
the lookout for Telemark demo days like this near you.  It’s totally the way
to go and just what I had been looking for.  To both E and I, it seemed like
the concepts of edging, balance, transitions etc. seemed to translate really
easily from Alpine skiing.  We were amazed at how fast it was possible to
progress in just an hour on these skis.  With this modern equipment, it
seems like the industry is making Telemark skiing more user friendly.

     Oh, and for those of you who have never been on Telemark skis, that
spring loaded binding actually want to make your heel spring up a bit!  I
always though that boots would naturally want to lie flat like a
cross-country binding, but this was not the case (at least with the bindings
we had.  There is a gentle upward pressure.  I just found this interesting,
because even after all of the Telemarkers I’ve skied with, I never picked up
on the peculiarity.

     There’s a huge storm coming ashore and they’re calling for 2-3 feet in
the Bitterroots for the rest of the holiday weekend, so we’re heading back
out tomorrow.  We’ll be on Alpines (we finally got the CMH powder boards
mounted) but I bet we’ll be thinking a few Tele thoughts ;).

J.Spin