SKIVT-L January 2002, Week 3

Re: Utah recap

Marc Chrusch <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:49:11 -0700

Marc of the land of 'gators wrote about his recent week in the land of Zion:
>The only true goods found that day were to far skiers' right in Mineral
>Basin, both within and just outside the boundary ropeline.

A lot of the basin faces south and west. If the conditions are sketchy, the
east aspects are generally better. (Same is true next door at Alta). The
far right of MB is also shaded by the cliffs above, coupled with an ENE
exposure. Just don't go too far beyond the rope - it's way easy to get
*far* below the lift if you're not paying attention - and it's a loooooong
walk out of American Fork canyon.

>Solitude 1/9-10/02: Still a great hill, but the owners are bound and
>determined to ruin the place by spending their money foolishly on condos
>and 1,000-foot-long detachable quads (what's the point and where's the
>benefit, I ask ya?!).

I agree - if you're gonna put in a detachable, be *serious* about it!
However, the lift network there is decidedly quirky and can stand some kind
of improvement. As far as condos, well, it seems to be that age old dilemma
of being able to attract people with the skiing, but that's not where you
make your money. Solitude has the lowest number of skier days of the 4
Cottonwood areas.

>Brighton 1/11: Yep, it's Brighton - boarder and groomer heaven.  <snip>
>Dan the Marketing Man is crazy and cooler than hell ... gotta love their
>billboard campaign: "WIFE-WIFE-WIFE-HUSBAND ... ride our high-speed
>quads".  'Dem Mormons were reportedly none too happy about that one.

Some ire was also raised with their "Bring 'em Young" billboards and ads.

Interesting trivia I learned this weekend: Alf Engen, the skiing legend who
designed the trails at Alta (his name is up there with Charlie Lord and Sel
Hannah) also designed the original trails at Brian Head, Snowbasin, and,
believe it or not, Brighton.

>Powder Mt. <snip>  Solidly breakable crust on anything ungroomed. <snip>
>Such a pity, as this place would be powder pig heaven on a good day.

Yes, it is.

>   Look out for what may happen here, as a developer's plans to buy and
> build the place may ruin this oasis forever if he has his way.

15 new lifts, 2 Jack Nicklaus designed golf courses, 850 condos, 100 trophy
homes, etc....... The development group is planning to break ground in
July, pending resolution of zoning regs. and actually buying the place.

>Snowbasin 1/13: Eastern skiing.  More tower guns than trees.  Huge
>daylodges that look more like a fine hotel - Earl Holding, get a
>grip.  Manmade snow all over the hill was yellow as a result of sediment
>that they can't get rid of in the snowmaking wells - on TV during the
>Olympics it oughtta look like a bunch of avi dogs peed all over the
>downhill and Super G courses.  Hated the place, and doubt that I'll ever
>go back.

I've only spent one day there, so I'm reserving judgement. When we were
there last year it was fine, with little snowmaking evident (ie: there was
enough natural so that it didn't feel like a lot of manufactured snow.
Seeing the snowmaking infrastructure, otoh, is totally unavoidable -
it's  ubiquitous. My reaction to first view of the snowmaking building at
mid-mtn. was "Gee, it's funny that there are so few windows on that day
lodge."). I know there's quite a bit of interesting terrain that,
unfortunately, you didn't get to sample due to the conditions. Eg: the
steep faces and trees below and to skiers left of the downhill courses.
There's also some cool stuff and nice trees as well as hikes to short but
steep faces and chutes over in the Strawberry Express Gondola area - about
as far as you can get from the race courses.

>2) Following "Alta diva" Kiersten Puusemp around for the whole week.
><snip> You need guide service like that at Alta if you lack the local
>knowledge yourself...

Not only for getting the good lines but in staying alive - there's just
some amazingly scary-dangerous spots at Alta (speaking as someone who has
managed to cliff himself more than once). A conversation with myself deep
in the Catherine's area once went something like.......
"Looks like there's a line down through these trees."
"Wait a minute......is that a run-out way down there?"
"Oh sh--! That's a whole lot of vertical for damn little horizontal!"

>Lowlights:
>1) The old snow.  They need fresh stuff, bad!  Coverage was good, save for
>at Brian Head, but it definitely needs to be freshened up by a foot or two
>of new.  When it does fall, though, that crust will form an incredibly
>weak layer for a good, long while.

Surprisingly, things seem to be bonding pretty well. Fortunately the crust
wasn't very thick. I counted about 8 bomb craters on East Devils Castle
this weekend and it still didn't slide. Same with Baldy Shoulder.

>4) The Olympic hype.  The concept of the Mormon Games has already exceeded
>the reality.  After all, it's only *one day* to shine.  The World Cup, by
>contrast, is for a whole season.

An interesting editorial last week made the point that those who will be
the most disappointed with the Olympics are the ones who are hoping and
depending on the games the most to alter world perception. That hope is by
no means limited to the (vocal minority of the) LSD population.

-Marc
Only 17 days to go.