SKIVT-L January 2002, Week 5

Re: NON VT: Vail/Beaver Creek

"Salts, Peter" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:07:09 -0500

Elvis,

I was at Vail and Beaver Creek just a few days before Christmas. I missed
Guido at Beaver Creek by a day or so and he has a report so go check out
First Tracks!! Online as well.

One thing ya gotta remember is that it's expensive. If you are driving to
the resort you'll need to get there early enough to get the free day skiers
parking w/ shuttle.  Otherwise it's $20 to park.  At BC they seem to have a
decent amount of parking (follow the signs) but supposedly Vail has only one
day skier parking area that is poorly marked.  From I-70 westbound, get off
the first Vail exit and follow the main road to Vail and the parking should
be on the left (should be about a mile or so after the main road goes under
I-70).  I assume you already have your tickets and they are generally good
at Vail/BC/Breckenridge/Keystone/A-Basin.  There are shuttles to all
mountains.

At Beaver Creek service is their mantra and it shows, at a cost.  On a multi
day ticket it cost me $63.  All the employees were happy and helpful.  I
never found an employee who was grumpy.  As you approach the shuttle bus,
the bus lackeys took my skis and loaded them.  Same for the dis-embarkation.
There were mountain hosts all over who bent over backwards to help you.
Food was excellent too, again, at a price (I didn't bag it that day).  You
go out there expecting to spend $$ and what you get for it blows away any
lunch I've had at the typical mountain cafeteria in the east.

As far as skiing - check out the Birds of Prey downhill area. This is where
they host the Birds of Prey downhill every year.  It doesn't seem as bad as
it sounds but then again I wasn't doing Mach II down it either.  It is steep
tho. A good intermediate glade is Larkspur Bowl.  When I was there I found
boot deep semi-tracked all over.  Mucho fun.  I just tooled around and found
good steeps here and glades there.  It wasn't too crowded when I was there.
Grouse Mountain is supposed to be their expert area but it was closed when I
visited.  They also have a demo center at  the top of one of the main lifts
which I took advantage of. They have Salomon, Rossi, Atomic and Volkl. I
don't remember the pricing but it was reasonable.  Something like $10 to
start and then $6/hr thereafter, not to exceed $40 for the day.  I would
definitely go back there again.

I spent 2 days at Vail, both of them pretty good.  Their food is similar to
BC.  This place is massive.  Somewhere I heard that it is 6 miles across and
it is easy to believe it.  Get a map before-hand, study it and decide where
you want to ski before you get there.

Day 1 was spent with the SU skiing many of the bowls and the front of the
mtn. If you plan on skiing the bowls or Blue Sky keep in mind that it takes
a while to get out there.  The bowls are on the backside and Blue Sky (which
was my favorite - more later) is accessed at the bottom of China Bowl.
During my visit the bowls had OK snow and had all been tracked out leaving
cut up crud.  Still fun, but not as much fun as powder.  The bowls are steep
but not too steep.  If you're looking for steeps you'll find them.  Most of
the front is groomed and they groom down the center of many of the trails in
the bowls for an easy out for many.

Day 2 was spent solo and 2/3 of my day was at Blue Sky. I had so much fun
here I wish I had spent all 5 days here (it was my last day).  The Skyline
Express is the main lift. Accces the Champagne Glade and Montane Glades on
the right as you get off the chair.  The upper glades, Champagne and In the
Wuides, had wind blown dry powder in patches that were as much as knee deep!
The place was empty and I had it all to myself. I had 3 or 4 runs in there
each followed by a run in the Montane Glades.  The Montane Glades had at
times, hip deep snow that was a little heavier than the snow further up the
mountain.  It was early season and I found many rocks, stumps and roots.
Yeah, I shouldn't have been in there by myself but it was too much fun.

As you ride the Skyline Express you'll notice halfway up on the left that
the mountain just drops off, called Lover's Leap.  There was about a 15 foot
near sheer drop off that scared many off.  Find a spot and jump in and
you'll be surprised with the snow.  During my visit, the snow was a little
chunky but plenty edgeable.  After skiing a few hundred verts you'll come
into some decent glades.  I did this run a few times as well with more fun
each run.

At the top of the lift is Belle's Camp.  This is just a large room with
rugged log chairs and tables and a fireplace. It was plenty warm. There are
no food operations here but there are 4 or 5 grills available (no fee) to
guests. Water was available but only in those pointy cups you get on the
golf course.  They held too little fluid and you couldn't put them down
anywhere. I brown bagged my lunch this day and there were plenty others
doing the same. Many had packs full of eniw and cheese, others had a few
swerborcim and were grilling chicken or burgers outside.  It was a great
atmosphere for a break and/or lunch.

I wish I was still there!

PS