]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  February 2002, Week 2

SKIVT-L February 2002, Week 2

Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT 09FEB02 & 10FEB02 (4 images)

Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Feb 2002 02:21:25 -0500

     Lost Trail is known for being incredibly laid back about many things,
and the process of getting chairs 3 and 4 open this year has been no
exception.  Initially, the talk was that they were waiting for the base to
build up before opening these chairs, but with the past few weeks worth of
storms, everyone knows that isn’t the case any more.  It appears that chair
3 was having electrical problems which have been tricky to figure out.
Chair 4 (the new chair that will quintuple Lost Trail’s skiable terrain) is
supposedly a real space case, and failed its load test a couple of weeks
ago.  Most folks question if it will even open this season.
     This past weekend, things finally moved in the right direction and
chair 3 opened up and ran continuously.  Although I was out of town the
previous weekend, I heard it was running then but had some difficulties.  In
actual “on-piste” terms, chair 3 doesn’t provide much in the way in of
terrain except a few greenish trails and a couple short steeper sections.
However, chair 3 really raises the bar if you’re willing to hike for a few
minutes.  An approximately 5 minute hike up to a ridge (I’ve heard it called
both “triple jump” to denote the backcountry kickers that are present there,
as well as “Bear Claw”, which is a new one to me) at the northern extend of
the current ski terrain will deliver some great untracked powder.  When
chair 3 isn’t running, you’re relegated to heading down the terrain on the
south side of the ridge back to the main base area or a LONG slog out from
the other side.  But with chair 3, one can head off the north side and get
about 1000 feet of vertical with lift-serviced return to the base.
     E and I arrived at Lost Trail early Saturday morning and found nice
conditions from the 6-12 inches of snow they had received in the past few
days.  We skied a pleasant groomer to warm up first.  After that, I showed E
some new woods that I had explored the previous week when some friends were
out in Montana/Wyoming for vacation (report and pictures on that trip will
come sometime soon).  The woods were nice, with lots of untracked snow,
although the streambed at the bottom was a bit tracked out and firm from
traffic the previous week.  I blame James, Dave, Chris and Greg actually for
skiing in there too much!  When we finished that run and arrived back at
chair 2, the big announcement was made that chair 3 was open!  Woohoo!  I’d
been waiting to hear those words all season!
     We scurried over on the traverse to the ridge, then hit the short hike
to the top.  There was the usual crowd of a few kids training on the
kickers, but aside from their landing zone, the vast terrain on the north
side was untracked!  I gave E first dibs and she dove in and cranked out
some great turns.  It was tough to sit there with the video camera in front
of all that untracked, but I knew it wasn’t going anywhere.  I skied down to
join E below and the snow was great.  We had on the CMH fat skis and they
were right at home.  This powder wasn’t the up in your face all over you
kind of stuff, it was just pleasant untracked with no bottom.  With the fat
skis in fact, we only sank in a very few inches.  After the first pitch, E
took off and didn’t stop; just turn after turn after turn after turn until
we were somewhere in the distant lowlands behind the ridge.  After going for
what seemed like forever, I finally spoke up and said “That must be what
heli-skiing is like!” to which E replied “That’s what I was thinking!”  We
finished off in the flatter areas near chair 3, and caught a ride back to
the main base.  It actually takes a combination of 2 different rope tows,
and 2 double chairs to make another lap, but it’s worth it!
     In about 30 minutes, we found ourselves back atop the ridge again ready
for another run.  This time, I wanted to traverse out along the ridge for a
bit and hit some of the steep terrain I’d been lusting after all season.
There was a packed traverse heading our along the ridge, and I knew we
weren’t the first ones out there.  Still, I thought, “What are the odds that
someone would take the one line I had been thinking of for the past 3
weeks?”  Granted, it was a killer line, about 35-40 degrees, 20 feet wide
and nicely open before it dissolved into the conifers below.  I had looked
down on it many times as we passed by and headed reluctantly down the other
(south) side of the ridge.  You could tell the wind came across that ridge
and just laid the snow right in there.  James and Dave et al, if you’re out
there reading this you know the one I mean ;).  As we approached the top of
the line, I feared the worst as I saw tracks heading in that direction, and
told E to hold up while I checked it out.  If it was tracked I was coming
back to hit a different line.  I got to the top of the line and my fears
were realized.  Not only had someone nabbed first tracks on my line, but
they’d taken a leak and left a big piss stain right in the snow at the top
of the run!  Oh man!  Now that’s marking some territory!  There was of
course still plenty of great snow in there, but I wanted some fresh “WHITE”
snow for video.  I shuffled back to E with the news and we set up for a
different shot.  I don’t have any complaints, the line we finally hit was
probably just as good, but you know how it is when there’s a line you’ve
been eyeing for so long.  Below the steeps, we took some nice different
lines along the edges of trails and through sparse woods, another great run.
  With that, we called it a day and headed home.  Maybe we would come back
tomorrow for a couple more laps, but it was too soon to tell.
     On Sunday, we eased into the day and I got cranking on some of the
final segments of our ski video.  It looked as though we wouldn’t be heading
out to ski, E was thinking of heading in to work for a bit, and I could
really make some headway on the video.  However, a twist of fate changed
things.  We were working on a segment with some snowboarding in the video,
when E suddenly recalled that she had not really snowboarded in powder.  It
didn’t take us long to realize what had to be done.  In 14 minutes we were
on our way to Lost Trail with snowboard gear.
     We found ourselves atop the ridge again (I don’t even want to start on
what a pain in the entire butt it is to traverse across flats with those
snowboards).  The winds had picked up and changed the snow consistency atop
the ridge, and although there were more tracks on the trails now, there was
plenty of pow.  It was my first day on my board for the season, and my first
day snowboarding in powder in what must be 3 years.  What seemed like 4
inches of snow yesterday in our fat skis was in fact 2 feet deep when our
boards decided to nose in and drag us down.  Who knew?  After extricating
ourselves a few times, we started to get the hang of boarding in the powder,
it was a blast of course once you got going, but the slope ended all too
soon and we had to finish in the flats.  Snowboard hell, that’s what I have
to say about the flats.  All those flats were a lot of work for a few good
turns on the boards, I think that this route is not really optimal snowboard
territory.  We finished off with a quick run off the handle tow to try to
get a few more powder turns, but the slope was just a bit too flat.  Oh
well, there’s always next weekend.

Images from this report (4 images) can be viewed at the following address:
http://www.uvm.edu/~jsilveir/09FEB02.html

J.Spin