SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Archives

April 2002

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
Bob Broedel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:01:41 -0400
This is from a different list, but may be of interest
here on SftP.
Bob Broedel @ FSU

Date   : Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:41:48 -0700
>From  : Declan McCullagh <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Petition: Therapeutic cloning should NOT be banned

I have the privilege of being one of the founding members of the
Franklin Society, which has created the below petition. I urge
Politech members to read the links below and consider signing
the petition.

Bush statement yesterday endorsing cloning ban:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/04/20020410-4.html

The Brownback bill:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:s.01899:
It says: "It shall be unlawful for any person or entity...
to perform or attempt to perform human cloning or to participate
in an attempt to perform human cloning"

News articles:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/11/politics/11CLON.html
http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,51713,00.html
http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-vpqkin102662617apr10001622.story
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=cloning

-Declan

---

>From  : "Nick Gillespie" <[log in to unmask]>
To     : "[log in to unmask] Com" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: pro-therapeutic cloning petition
Date   : Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:40:14 -0400

Declan,

This might be something that both you and the Politech list
would be interested in:

My predecessor at Reason, Virginia Postrel, has founded a
network called the Franklin Society, whose current project
is an pro-therapeutic cloning petition. As you know, George
W. Bush is urging the Senate to follow the House of
Representative's lead and ban all human cloning, so the time to
speak is now.

The document is online at
http://www.franklinsociety.org/petition.

I encourage you to check it out and add your name to the list,
and to the network, too.

Thanks,  Nick

**************
Nick Gillespie