SKIVT-L April 2002, Week 1

Random notes MRValley 3/29-30

telenaut <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:57:24 -0500

MRG 3/29 (Cast: saltpeter, Wes, JimC, mrrogers, JoshTower, and a wave to
Gary Crofton)
Thanks, Wes, for bringing the camera. Video days aren't big vertical days
but they sure are fun. Day's best laugh? Probably on the "Roger demonstrates
the tele turn" segment of Wes's video. Roger sets off down lower Glades with
the camera crew already at the bottom. As you can faintly hear, Jimmy sets
in to giving Roger constant, urgent--and wholly unnecessary--film
instructions. "TURN, Roger. TURN. NOW. ROGER. TURN." Roger does his best to
ignore, as his every move is recorded for posterity. Dunno if you can get
the sense from the clip, but it was hilarious.

Season's best snow--this is pitiful; I've missed all the powder days so
far--but the gloppy fresh tracks earlier in Glades were a tie for me with
the dust-on-crust at Smuggs bowls 4 weeks ago (one day before the snow fell
in earnest). In general, this year has been one for Denis's phrase: "The
skiing was great, the conditions were awful." I do think phat teles were
about the best tool possible for the East Coast version of Sierra cement.

Speaking of phat teles, amazing how much better my "technique" (ha) is with
those things on my feet. Friday Wes called them clown skis. Saturday, after
he skied on his (formerly Todd's) he grinned and said, "you're right.
They're not fair."

Speaking of technique, it's always a treat to watch Jumpin' Jimmy earn his
name. Friday he was more like Skippin' Jimmy. Light and rock-solid at the
same time. We traded a couple compliments and it made me think how I've been
chasin' his turns for three years now. Don't think I'm any closer, but what
a satisfying run.

Best run of the day: Beaver, with softest, un-scraped-offed-est bumps I can
remember there.

Endurance run of the day: Wes allowed himself to be talked into hopping on
the single at 3:59. Wouldn't do a Beaver repeat, said it had to be a
cruiser. OK. So he turns on the afterburners and cruises top to base-lodge
no-stop. Never done that before. Did some goofy synchronized turning
somewhere around Snail. Felt I could've tapped my thighs with some kind of
IV drip and pumped out a quart of grade A lactic acid.

Ego boost of the day: Came from Josh Tower, who has amazing powers of recall
and always seems to remember me from a day long apo at MRG I spent gomering
down the mountain, slowing down a whole crew as much as possible on a powder
day and generally sucking. So every time he says Telly-naut, I suspect what
he really means is telly-naught. Suspicions confirmed. We're going down
chute, my phatties are singing a heroic tenor and Josh looks up and says.
"Hey, we're gonna hafta change your name from telly-naught to telly-yes."
Awwrriiigghht! (Sidebar. Three weeks ago, I'm drivin down 89 after a day at
BV, Some guy starts honkin at me from behind, drivin' nutty, passing me on
the right. Waves franticlly as he goes by. I have no idea who 'twas, figured
somebody recognized the skivittle bumper sticker. Found out Friday... it was
Josh.)

'bush 3/30 (Cast: saltpeter, ToddF, BenK plus guest appearances from Todd's
lovely housemates)
The plan was a good one. Ski freshies at South in the AM when it reopened
after being closed all week (thanks, Bruno, for the tipoff). Sample Todd's
secret Douggie's Nugget at North in the afternoon. Forecast of rain kept
away the hordes, but never materialized. And it all started off with
clockwork precision as the 4 of us pulled into the parking lot at exactly
the same time. Asked the valley hostess, "Castlrock open?" "Yep."
Looking good.

Momentary scare as we botched the route to Castle Rock lift and thought we'd
been hosed. Nope, just confused. Made the chair just a few minutes before
the patrollers came down from morning sweep and sternly informed the
gathering trolls that "snow's pretty tough up there, you better be sure you
can handle it." Unfortunately, none of the nine people on front of us on
liftline felt the need to back out. But we still got heavy, sweet cream
fresh, and oh what fun. Todd's lookin' real solid now with his tele turns,
Ben skis with hopping precision, Peter bombs ahead with nerves of steel and
DIN settings a crank or two too low. Funniest (sorry, Peter) was when he
succumbed to Ben's urgings to launch a Rumble rock. Up he goes, lookin'
fine. Then slow-mo in mid air, he starts tilting forward, does a vertical
180 and lands head first in a pile of snow.
Comes up grinnin'. Peter kept sayin' the snow was too much for him but he
does fine.

Then sweet company as we meet up with some hard-skiin, good-lookin wimmen
from Todd's house. They want to go back to Castle Rock, so who were we to
say no? Jen gives short happy whoops all the way down. Sounds like she's
outta control but heck no, just enjoyin herself. Kirsten is the strongest
skier. Favorite moment was watching her bomb dowb Middle Earth with her
mouth wide, wide open in a silent but clearly ecstatic yeeha. It is so fun
to ski with enthusiastic skiers. Friendly Donna dished the dirt on Todd on
the liftride up, then pushed herself keeping up quite nicely thankyou with
the gang on the ride down. Smiles all around.

But sadly, on the next ride down rumble, we had to bid the ladies adieu as
Rumble Woods (thanks again, Bruno) called out to us with an even sweeter
siren song.

Tried to reach Peter on 13-8 as we stopped at the appointed lunch-meet, but
turned out he'd already gone off to rest his weary legs. At North, Todd
keeps bugging me about wanting to try my phatties. He'd had a pair, but
never skied 'em, before, in a selfless act of list loyalty, he sold em (at a
tidy profit) to the Great Plaid One. Truth is, I was reluctant to swap. But
he asked again and dammit, the bindings fit, so next thing he's puttin on my
precious phatties and I'm snapping into these wimpy looking narrow Atomics.

Well, sir, those Atomics were a blast! "Snappy" Todd called em, with a big
camber. I was pogo-ing down Elbow hootin' and hollerin'. Funniest thing,
with his skis on, I started skiing like Todd, making tight, light, hoppy
turns, and Todd started skiing like me, with big, wide arcing teles. Next
funniest thing was after one run, I was begging for another on th Atomics
and Todd was saying, naw, it was time to move on to his woods stash.

I've been sworn to secrecy but I'll say this: It looked too tight at the
top. It was sweet at the bottom.

Fun tidbit was on the long slog out, gallantly letting Ben lead the way,
then trying to match his diagonal slides through the snowy slush, so as not
to have to break trail on my own. Ben has a super strong skating technique
for an alpiner. I could just barely match his tracks (and fortunately he had
phatties too). Todd however couldn't seem to catch the right rhythm and kept
complaining, "how d'you expect me to follow _those_?"

Fun day. Thanks Todd, Ben, Peter.

And thanks and apologies to all who slogged through these long random notes.

--tele-yes  :)