SKIVT-L May 2002, Week 3

Re: Annual Tally and lists

Tag Gross <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 15 May 2002 16:04:04 -0400

Days on skis:

MountSnow: 10
Stratton: 15
Alta: 4
Snowbird: 3
Jackson Hole: 7
Mont Tremblant: 6
Stowe: 3
Squaw Valley: 5
Kirkwood:1
Alpine Meadows:1

I have to agree with Leigh that Tremblant is Disney on Snow but to me this
is a good thing. It's a great place to take a family and for us here in the
USA it's CHEAP!

Tag's Favorites for skiing (limited to 10, otherwise I would have to include
places like Dutch Hill and Big Vanilla at Davos!):

1. Blue River: once was not enough! In fact, do my kids really have to go to
college?
2. Chamonix: Nothing comes close. If you haven't skied Europe then this must
be your first stop.
3. Les Trois Valles: Ok Europe in general rules over anything here but I'll
leave it at these two which are my 2 favorites. I'm partial to the French
areas.
4. Squaw Valley, CA: My favorite in North America. The weather, the terrain,
and the snow is fine don't believe all that Sierra Cement BS.
5. Jackson Hole: There's a reason they call it "The Big One." My uncle
manged the Soujourner and The Mangy Moose so I spent a lot of time there
over the years and perhaps I'm a little bit partial. It's great.
6. Aspen,Snowmass,Aspen Highlands: It's silly to think of it as seperate
resorts. You go to Aspen and you ski them all. Forget what the nay sayers
tell you about the glitz and hype, it's a great town and great skiing. The
best in Colorado.
7. Alta/Snowbird: Again if you ski one you're going to ski both.
8. Stowe: It's the best in the East. There is no question in my mind about
this. It's not even close.
9. Taos: It's sort of the south western Alta. Kachina is awesome as are all
of the chutes by Staufenberg. It just has a nice vibe. The snow can be
dicey. It's not the most reliable spring ski destination.
10.Sun Valley: It's place in US ski history alone makes it a must and it has
great terrain and the high speed quads make the trip to the top much easier
than it used to be.

I would have liked to put Mammoth up there but I ran out of spaces.