SKIVT-L May 2002, Week 3

Re: Annual Tally

Tag Gross <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 May 2002 10:05:09 -0400

>Tied for the best powder day I had all this past season was at Sugarbush.<

Any resort can have one good day. My question is why would you recommend MRG
or Sugarbush during one of the worst snow years for a family? It makes no
sense. A family has to plan ahead and around fixed vacation times or
weekends. Why would you go to two of the worst mountains for snowmaking and
spend essentially the same amount of money for what would most likely be
inferior conditions? As I said before, Stowe would be a much better choice
anyway.

>If you somehow missed that shopping mall/food court monstrosity that passes
as a summit warming hut, maybe the multicolored banners on telephone poles
down the first couple of hundred feet of each trail would've been a hint
>snip< <

Ok well  better cross off Le Brevent at Chamonix or High Camp at Squaw or
any number of other resorts. God forbid there should actually be a
tastefully done structure where you can actually get a decent meal AND be
able to sit down to eat it. It looks nothing like a shopping mall or a food
court. Is your axe to grind with Intrawest?

>>What makes a better ski experience?  Trails with character.  Better
snowfall.  (Tremblant ranks amongst the worst in northeastern N.A. for
natural snow.)  Places where the natural elements of the mountain haven't
been systematically removed.<<

Well I think that at least this year Tremblant had better snowfall than much
of "northeastern N.A.". So far you have offered 2 examples of Tremblants
character being systematically removed: Ryan's run which is your opinion and
The Summit. That is hardly systematic. There is simply a lot of character at
Tremblant and a lot to ski. And from a historical perspective there is much
more terrain to ski now. Le Edge and Le Soleil have a lot of fun trees and
narrow trails. In Le Soleil there is even a little Trappers cabin to have
lunch so you don't have to eat at the summit.

>>What makes a better family experience?  Face it, Tremblant is a zoo ...
lose a kid while skiing, and you won't likely find him/her until around
September.<<

I don't lose any ski partners whether at an area or backcountry and I
certainly don't lose children I ski with. As for Tremblant being a zoo, you
have to use a little bit of smarts and common sense when you plan any trip.
So let's see, Tremblant is right next to a big city maybe I can deduce that
holidays and the weekends aren't a good idea! When I was there the week
before Easter there was nobody there. I never waited for a chair let alone
being in a liftline.

>>For me, a "family ski experience" is about a place where I can turn my kid
loose if he wants to be turned loose, and not worry about him.  He'll end up
back at the same base area.  If something happens to him, his gear, etc., I
know that he'll be assisted by a handful of friendly fellow skiers.<<

I don't know how old your kids are but I am not turning mine loose any time
soon whether it's at Tremblant or MRG. And actually at Tremblant all lifts
lead to the summit where it's hard to get lost. Just head for that big
building you hate! As for friendly people, I found the employees at
Tremblant to be among the best trained and most helpful in the ski business
and your implication that somehow the customers that ski there are somehow
not helpful is BS. I would argue that because skiing is so intrinsic to
their culture that the Canadians in general would be much more helpful to
children who ski than Americans.

 >>It's about a place where we can ski up to the lifts together, rather than
griping about the liftlines.<<

Well at MRG you can sit and gripe about how slow the lifts are while your
freezing your asses off I guess. That makes for wonderful ski memories.
Personally I'd rather wait a couple of minutes at protected lower elevation
than be crawling at a snails pace exposed to the elements.

>>It's about getting a hot dog & cup of hot chocolate from some old lunch
lady in a hairnet, while our gear dries by the fireplace.  It's about a
place where I can actually afford to buy the whole family some lunch.<<

Oh yes, a lady in a hair net. That is everyone's ideal image of the perfect
lodge moment. Forget the nice lodge with seats forget the colorful festive
atmosphere give me a lady serving $3.00 hot chocolate in a hair net and I
feel like I'm in the mountains! Give me a break. My family and I had many
wonderful meals at Tremblant for far less money than you would spend at any
US resort. Better food at better prices.

There is a lot to like about skiing in Eastern Canada and I look forward to
hopefully being able to check out the provinces with Leigh next year.
Tremblant also has a great ski school and still does ski weeks with awards
dinners (you can't get much more old school than that) which are awesome for
families. US resorts can learn a lot from areas like Tremblant. They do it
right.

Honestly, I have a very hard time understanding where you are coming from
but then again I see a lot of this mentality on the list. You trash talk a
mountain but offer up nothing more than vague references to "character" of
trails and instead would recommend 2 areas that had a hard time remaining
open let alone having good skiing and it's all in the name of some kind of
hardcore mountain man aesthetic. If you feel that high speed lifts, great
snowmaking, good food, grooming etc. diminish the experience then may I
suggest that you truly get back to the roots of the sport. Come on now, give
up your plastic boots, fat skis, sidecuts, releasable bindings, lightweight
poles, Gore-Tex, thinsulate etc etc and really get back to it. You can't
embrace one area of improvement while trashing the other. I look forward to
seeing you at MRG next season on 225cm wooden skis with cable bindings,
leather boots and bamboo poles dressed in wool (green plaid of course). 40
years later I'm glad skiing is not the same.

Tag Gross
RTG Music Limited/Rock River/Websound
212-222-4800 (Direct)
917-930-7859 (Cell)