SKIVT-L May 2002, Week 3

Mount Washington NH, 5/18-5/19

"Mark P. Renson" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 19 May 2002 22:47:12 -0400

        I entered the small store near the intersection of US 302 and NH 16 early
Saturday morning, it was obvious that "ski season" was over.  The beefy 4x4 GMC
and Ford pick-up trucks parked outside with bumpah stickahs proclaiming "Have
you ever seen a gun control law that worked" and gruff, grizzled locals inside
pissin' 'n moanin' about "those Gawd damn yuppie flatlandahs from Boston and
their communist ideas" meant that the Granite State natives were back in
control around Conway.

        But as I drove up Route 16 past Dana Place Inn after 3 hours of driving in
heavy rains, snow started to fall!  Like hell it ain't ski season!

        At Huntington Ravine Fire Road, the Tucks Trail became a pleasant hike on the
smooth foot+ deep snowpack.

        After getting gear (including beacon, probe pole, shovel) together and
strapping on crampons, I went up into the Bowl.  I did much outreach to the
light crowd of Pilgrims entering the Tucks ampitheatre, explaining to them that
the avalanche danger was increasing as the snow fell and that the safest
conditions were on the climbers left.  Also, I informed them that the Lip was
closed due to crevasses and undermining.  Often, I would have a bit of a
language barrier to deal with as it was Victoria's Day weekend which meant that
there were several Quebecois that hopped over the border.

        I got chillier as the day wore on which frosted my toes and the weather got
foggier.  The latter was significant as it masked the fact that there
apparently were some people that got caught in some sloughs that occured high
on the Headwall - sloughs caused by the freshly falling snow on the frozen
hardpack.  By the end of the weekend, the month-to-date snowfall on The
Rockpile would be up to 35"+ -  average is only 10.8" and February of this year
only received 27" !!

        That evening, we had a barbeque that we had planned .... in the gusty cold
winds and swirling falling snow!  Great weather for a BBQ in my book!

        On Sunday morning, winds howled and it was still snowing a bit.  I did not get
the warm feeling that we would have balmy temps and bright sunshine that would
make for a corn day which I advertised to Dana on Friday.  The weather inside
of HoJos reported a minus 2F windchill at 6AM at Hermit Lake :-)

        I cramponed up to the Bowl for a repeat of the prior day and I was even more
skittish about the avalanche danger which prevented me from skiing all weekend.
 In some ways it was boring, but I reminded myself that patrolling could have
these types of days and I soothed myself by reminding me of the camaraderie
that I experience up there, the beauty and history of Tucks and the fact that
Forces of Nature were leaving us with great gifts in the month of May -
Hillman's Highway has skiing almost all the way to the bottom, Dodge's Drop
still has a good pitch, Left Gully, Chute are choked with snow (the latter has
more now than it did a month ago), you can still ski over the headwall from the
top and the East Snowfields are in great shape!

        Later in the afternoon after I did some practice with crampon footwork and ice
axe arrest and gave a young climber some advice, I parked myself at the Lunch
Rocks with Chris and Brian the USFS Snow Rangers.  As we watched skiers, I
lamented how I felt bad that I was not skiing but that I did not trust the
snowpack given many factors (new snow, wind deposition, slope steepness, poor
bonding to surface) and I remind myself that all that it takes is just one
incident ......

        Roughly one half an hour later with the sun brightly shining, we observed a
skier mischeviously skiing his way from above to the top of The Lip, which is
closed.  We kept our eyes focused on him as this meant the possibility for some
hi-jinx.  As he cut through the powder, I thought to myself that this could be
a good chance to witness an avalanche.  He made a turn on the skiers left which
triggered a slough.  Somehow, this slough was just a bit too robust for comfort
and had a sinister look to it as it poured over a crevasse and some brush
poking through.  As he crossed over the crux of The Lip, he triggered a living
room sized slab with a crown that measured roughly a foot - OH SH*T !  This
crashed onto the top of the virgin snowpack at the top of The Bowl below The
Lip and whaddya' know, we had a problem.  A bigger slab then released which was
about 100 feet wide aimed for the Lunch Rocks and several people below - OH
MEGA SH*T !

        We screamed out AVA-LAAAAANCHE and stayed behind the rocks by the rescue cache
yet in a position where we could observe so that we could see what "Sir
Avalanche" (they command serious respect, dude) would catch.  The smooth
graceful exponential increase in speed of this slide was as beautiful as it was
frightening.  The soft rumble as it rushed by me roughly 10 meters away was an
exceptionally pretty sound.  But it also meant business as it seemingly had
animate homicidal feelings.

        We were seiously worried about the people below us, especially since they were
from Quebec and might not have understood what "avalanche" met.  After some
initial hesitation, they fleed to higher rocks, leaving gear behind.  As I
watched it finish it's estimated 1,200 foot ride falling 600-700 vertical feet
to the floor of the Bowl, I tried very hard to spot anyone that might be
caught.

        As it stopped, I heard a girl cough hard, obviously choking a bit on the blast
cloud of spindrift snow.  We all stepped down and screamed out for everyone to
account for their friends (how the hell do you say that in French?).

        Fortunately, nobody was caught and our nice friends from the North thanked us
for our concern.

        Meanwhile, the skier that triggered it, somehow rode it past Schiller's Rock
(scene of last year's all-nighter) and skied out of it to the skiers right and
into the bowl.  Fortunately, he did not trigger another one there.  Meanwhile,
people from below were screaming out "thanks a lot, a##hole" to him.  Later on,
when fellow patroller Paul and I were having a bull session with the Snow
Rangers, we lamented about how hard we had worked to inform everyone of the
existing dangers and that The Lip was closed to all use.  I am almost positive
that I recognized the skier that triggered the slide and yes I did indeed
inform him.

        You read this right - avalanches happen in New England, they happen in May and
they happen in front of large groups of people which means that there is no
safety in numbers.

        Just another weekend of drama on Mount Washington.  Carter Dome's noble
sublime peak with the lightly sugared conifers provided me with great eye candy
on the early evening hike down to the bottom of Pinkham Notch.  Gawd I love
this scene!

        Get psyched form some good early June skiing.  Ya gotta' believe !!

Mark