SKIVT-L June 2002, Week 2

updated GG pics

Jim Crowley <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:48:14 -0400

I have updated the names of the lines on the GG pics that I posted last
week:

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/bc/switzer_crowley/lst?.dir=/Great+Gulf+May+27+2002&.src=ph&.view=t

These updates stem from my conversation with Mark Courville and
information from Matt K. that he got from an anonymous source.

The conversation that Jonathan and I had with Mark on Sunday was indeed
fascinating. Like Jonathan mentioned, I wished that we could have
recorded it. Jonathan and I peppered him with questions, and he seemed
quite happy to relate his steep skiing adventures. We covered a wide
range of topics, most having to do with steep skiing on mounts
Washington and Mansfield. His dedication to steep skiing is truly very
deep.

I could post many pages with the contents of our conversation (which
many would probably find interesting), but I don't think that Mark (or
anybody for that matter) would appreciate their apparently private
conversation being broadcast over the internet. That being said, I will
relate a number of things that have either been discussed on the list
after Jonathan's initial post or are of general interest that I doubt
Mark would mind having related to a broad audience.

Mark's first visits to Tuckerman Ravine were in the late 1960's with his
father. He recalls there being lots of snow in April of the big winter
of '68-69, but that it melted quickly enough that Hillman's was gone by
Memorial Day. It's hard to imagine that Hillman's was in better shape
this year on that date than in '69. He first visited the Great Gulf in
1970. Early in May 2002 he hiked up the Jewel Trail to the GG on two
consecutive days. On the first of those days, he skied Pipeline with a
foot of fresh. As could be expected, a sluff knocked him off his feet
and he took a short ride but came out unscathed.

Speaking of getting knocked down in a slide, I recall him saying that he
traveled much less than 500 feet in the Smugglers Notch slide that
Jonathan mentioned. I think it may have only been 50 feet, but I could
be wrong. Whatever the case, he was swept a considerable distance by a
loose snow avalanche in the Notch, from which he considers himself lucky
to come out unscathed. He took a skidder in the GG (Stinkbug) on Friday
and came to stop by sprawling over some rocks. He banged up his knee but
was otherwise okay. He skied the same line on his next run and did it
flawlessly.

His favorite lines on the Rockpile are Pipeline in the GG and Diagonal
Gully in Huntington Ravine. He has skied everything in Huntington except
for North Gully and another gully whose name escapes me. He also sung
high praises of the Gulf of Slides, saying that it was not as steep as
lines in GG or Huntington, but still had a great feel to it.

He has skied 17 days on the Rockpile this season and hopes to tie his
record of 23 days. He seems to have been rejuvenated this season by
starting up telemark skiing. This was one of his more enjoyable seasons
despite the awful conditions due to the fact that he was learning
something new. He was working diligently on his short radius tele turns
on the eastern snowfields on Sunday. It seemed strange to me to see a
guy who skis such extreme slopes to be taking the relatively tame
eastern snowfields with such seriousness. He talked about trying to find
his focus on the snowfields, and when sensed he was losing that focus he
was going to call it quits for the day. However, when he saw Jonathan
and I taking another run, he somehow regrouped himself and took a half
run to join up with us again.

I cannot stress enough how much this guy has dedicated himself to
skiing, steep narrow gullies in particular. He mentioned that he
sometimes found bump skiing to be fun when I mentioned that I liked
bumps, but there was not a single mention of tree skiing or arcing fat
turns on corduroy or corn. I also cannot stress enough how tied he is to
two mountains, the Rockpile and Mansfield. He has never ventured north
to the Gaspe and has not skied in California (and he didn't mention ever
skiing anywhere else out west). He only goes to Jay Peak once every year
or two, which he attributes to the fact that he doesn't like to drive
more than he has to in the winter. He has a big trip to Chamonix lined
up for April.

He enjoys skiing the Rockpile because each time he sees familiar faces
or makes new friends. Like Jonathan said, even though he skis alone 75%
of the time, he is very sociable. He attributes his solo skiing style to
the fact that it's hard to coordinate with other people's schedules. He
particularly likes the Rockpile because compared with Stowe the skiers
are more open with information about conditions and the various ski
lines. He attributes much of that openness to the fact that you can see
everything on the Rockpile, that nothing is hidden like most of the
chutes on Mansfield.

This upcoming winter he hopes to be filmed while skiing his Mansfield
haunts by a regional cable television network. When I asked whether he
was concerned that teenagers from Rhode Island will see the television
show and try to emulate him in the same places, likely getting
themselves into trouble, he responded that the Powder mag photo showing
the gnarly line he skied in Smugglers Notch came out a few years ago yet
few have ventured over there.

I'll let other, more philosophical and eloquent people debate whether
one has made a contribution to humanity by skiing 180 days a year, but I
will say that Mark did coach ski racing to youngsters for many years,
and that surely he must have positively affected somebody's life along
the way. He could also be involved in many things that were not
mentioned in our conversation.

We learned that he is not a rock climber as one might expect him to be.
What does he do all summer after skiing 180 days per year? Rest and
relax, he told us.

Jim