VTLEPS Archives

July 2002

VTLEPS@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
"Grkovich, Alex" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:48:07 -0400
Kent (and all),

An interesting observation. As this is late July, it is already the time
during which southern migrants may be expected.

A business associate was in San Antonio, Texas last week, and told me that
there is a very large migration of this species happening down there at this
time. Typically, large migrations of this species (which can be EXTREMELY
abundant locally in the south during mid-late summer) and other Nymphalids
(Vanessa, Junonia etc.) take place during periods of local southern
population explosions in a particular area. I have seen such populations
explosions of the Snout, for example in Jackson, Tennessee (70 miles east of
Memphis) during August 1978. At that time, adults literally covered all of
the Hackberry trees (and others, too) in our neighborhood.

We might keep an eyeout of more specimens of this species during the latter
part of this season, in consideration of what seems to be going on in
mid-south Texas.

On the other hand, this seems to be a very poor year (at least so far) for
southern migrants of the Vanessa genus.

Alex

CAUTION PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this transmission is
intended to be sent only to the stated recipient of the transmission. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the intended
recipient's agent, you are hereby notified that we do not intend to waive
any privilege the might ordinarily attach to this communication and that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of the information contained in this
transmission is therefore prohibited. You are further asked to notify us of
any such error in transmission as soon as possible at the telephone
number/email address shown below. Thank you for your cooperation.