]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  July 2002, Week 2

MEDLIB-L July 2002, Week 2

Chat - Summary of Responses to "Names" Question

Shirley Maccabee <[log in to unmask]>

Shirley Maccabee <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Jul 2002 09:49:44 -0700

A huge THANK YOU to everyone who took a moment to respond! Here are the
replies, with identifying information omitted.

I would like to compile the responses into a simple table showing the
prevailing choices in each category - Medical Records, Library, and
Computers/Information Technology, but I can't take the time right now. If
anyone feels like doing it...     :-)

Basically, it appears that many, if not most Medical Records depts. have had
to change to Health Information Management or a variant; many Libraries have
held out for Library. IT/ITS is pretty universal.

thanks again,

sm

Shirley Maccabee
Librarian, Mt. Diablo Medical Center
2540 East St., P.O. Box 4110
Concord CA 94524-4110
925-674-2296 (v)  925 674 2603 (f)

Med Rec =  Medical Records   (after several years as Health Info Management
they are switching                                              back to the
more familiar name we all prefer)

ITS = Information Systems   (several years)

Library = Health Sciences Library  (over 20 years)

*****

Our Medical records department is called "Health Information Services," our
ITS is "Information Resources (IR)," and our Library is "Medical Library"
(listed in the directory as "Library, Medical" -- thank heaven they at least
got something right!)

I try desperately not to get on my soapbox about the current trends (PC or
otherwise) in naming these departments, since I am sure that it is already
very crowded up there, BUT what ever happened to common sense?  I keep
asking, "Shouldn't we give our departments names such that the users have a
clue regarding their function?"  If everything is named "Information Blah
Blah Blah," doesn't it get a wee bit confusing for our customers?  Oh, but
the way, this institution also has a CHIC (Community Health Information
Center) and a CHEC (Community Health Education Center) that are located on
opposite ends of the hospital so that when our customers get the acronyms
confused, they are rewarded by some nice healthy exercise.  Of course, they
might also pass by "Health Information Services" and "Information Resources"
on their way!

Thanks for allowing me to vent a bit.  Best wishes with your survey! It
might be interesting, or at least amusing, for you to post a summary of the
results to the list.

*****

We still use medical records and library.

Is ITS computer?  If so, we used to have IS for Information Services
And now IT for Information Technology

*****

we still use Medical Records and Medical Library for
designations.
Then we have IS Dept. for "Information Systems" which was a name change
about one year ago.  Formerly, it was called Management of Information
Systems
(MIS Dept) and of course, DP - Data Processing in the
beginning................

*****

Ah the name game!
Medical Records is called: Health Information Services
IT is called: IT (Information Technology)
Library is called: Medical Library

*****

Here are the names we use at South County Hospital:

Medical Records is Health Information Management (HIM)

ITS is Management Information Services (MIS)

Library is Medical Staff Library and Nursing Library (two separate ones).

*****

Our Medical Records Dept recently change to: Health Information Services

IS&T (Information Systems and Technology).

Then there's us, Library Services:  which consist of:

2 Medical Libraries
2 Family Libraries
1 Community Health Library

Hope this Helps

*****

Respectively they are (with no recent name changes):

1) Medical Records Services
2) Information Services
3) Medical Library (formerly "Medical Staff Library", but four years
ago when I started here I dropped "Staff" in an effort to communicate
that the library was for EVERYONE, not JUST the Medical Staff.  I know
Health Sciences Library would be even better, but such big changes comes
slowly <g>)

FYI, we are a small (168-bed) community hospital.

PS: one doctor, a fan, said the library should be called "The Source of
All Knowledge and Information" which I REALLY liked, buy I didn't think
it would fly with Administration! <g>

*****

Medical Records = Health Records (no change)
ITS = Shared Information Management Services (no change)
Library = Health Sciences Libraries (no change)

*****

Our Medical Records and IT departments are known as Health Information
Services and Information Services.  These name changes are not recent. The
Medical Library remains the Medical Library.

*****

Health Information Management (HIM)--changed from Medical Records within the
last year or two

Information Services

Medical Library

*****

My greatest consternation is that the Medical Records dept. here
is called "Health Information Services".  Not only is it confusing, but it's
downright misleading!  If ANYONE should be called "Health Information
Services" it's us!  (We're called the Health Sciences Library, which at
least is accurate, even if it isn't "sexy").  No one really knows what to
call our IT dept.  It's a contracted group by the name of Perot, so most
people just call it Perot.

*****

We are the Medical Library (there is also a separate Family Health Library).
We will be moving in  five years, and there is talk about renaming it
something more inclusive such as Health Sciences Library in order to
emphasize service to all areas of the hospital.

Medical Records

ISD (Information Services Department)-- not at all connected with the
library!

*****

At my institution, medical records is Health Information Management,
IT is Information Systems, and the library is the Library (but we have
a library department called Information Services!).

Whether these are "politically correct" is another question! *8 )

*****

Medical Records
Information Services
Hospital Library

No changes.

*****

Here at OLLMC we have Medical Records, Information Services and the Medical
Library.

*****

"Clinical Information Services"; "IS - Information Services"; and "Library
Services"

Politically correct? I don't know.   I particularly dislike the moniker for
Medical Records - Clinical Information Services.

*****

Our Medical Records department has changed its name to "Health Information
Management."  We are in a new building with that label on the building
directory.  Unfortunately, Admissions and the Information desk still send
people to Medical Records.  They get to the building and cannot find the
department.  We are the Medical Library and so they come to us for
directions.  Hope your name change is announced globally and they re-remind
of the title change on a regular basis.

We are the familiarly the "Medical Library" and formally "The J. F.
Strazzeri Library of the Medical Sciences", so named by a member of the
medical staff in honor of the library's founder and greatest supporter.  Our
sister hospital has the "Health Sciences Library".  We have a single
telephone directory for both institutions and this sometimes causes problems
as patrons cannot find us in the telephone listings.  I have asked for a
second listing under "Library" to help all and sundry find our telephone
extension.

Our "Information Services" department handles all computers, computer
training, software, telephones, and installation and problems with all afore
mentioned items.  This title has not changed in the past several years.

*****

Health Information Manangement Service  HIMS
Library
IS   Information Systems

*****

Medical Records is Health Information System (HIS); it has been called this
for quite some time now.

IT (aka Computer Department) is Information Resources Management (IRM); it
changed a couple of years ago. The entire service line (formerly ITS) is now
called Healthcare Knowledge and Technology (HKT). It is headed by our Chief
Information Officer (CIO) who instituted the change soon after his arrival 2
years ago; he said the new name more closely identified the services we
provide.  The library and HIS are part of HKT.

Library is still library.

*****

Our Medical Records department is known as "Health Information Management"

Our ITS Department is known as "IT"

Our library is known as "Medical Library"

*****

For an interesting twist on this subject, we are an Army hospital, and the
Army
seems to like the term "directorate".  Assuming that ITS has something to do
with
information technology, here are the names of the departments here at Walter
Reed:

Medical Records = Medical Record Administration Division, which is part of
the
"Patient Administration Directorate" (PAD)

ITS = Directorate of Information Management (DOIM; we have a great time with
this
acronym)

Medical Library = Medical Library; actually, we are a memorial library
(officially
the Fred C. Ainsworth Endowment Library); we report to the "Directorate of
Medical
Administration and Operations", or DMAO.

*****

Medical Records is called "Healthcare Information Management" (although
everyone still says Medical Records after 5 years).
"Information Systems" and "Medical Library"  would be the other two.

*****

Health Information Management (used to be Medical Records)

IS (was data processing before computers)

Medical Library (no interest in changing name to be more all inclusive)

*****

Data processing recently became information services. Medical records and
library remain. I don't plan to change the library, but wish I'd quit
getting internal mail addressed to School of Nursing Library. The school
closed last June and hasn't been exclusively the SON library since the early
80's.

*****

Medical Records = Health Information Management Systems... but guess what
the big sign over the door says?  MEDICAL RECORDS.  The Vice President for
Medical Affairs got tired of lost souls wandering into his office (across
the hall from Medical Records) who were told to go to Medical Records, but
couldn't find anything called that when they got there.

ITS = Telecommunications & Information Systems

Library = Library Information Services.  It used to be Medical Library, but
was "unofficially" changed by my boss before I was hired here in April.  I
can live with it.  I'm rather partial to the "L" word myself.

*****

I've been at Centra for nearly six years.

(1)  Health Information -- name was changed from Medical Records before I
came, however, patients/families are still confused so the sign outside the
door has Health Information and under it (Medical Records).

(2) Management Information Systems -- our designation for the computer
systems department.  No change in at least six years.

(3)  Library -- It was called the "Medical Library" when I came, but after
I got here we've adopted Health Sciences Library.  This was particularly
important to communicate our function in serving all the employees and
students as well as the physicians when the library was moved
administratively from the Department of Education to Medical Affairs.

*****

Medical Records changed to Health Information Services about 5 years ago.
IT and Medical Library are still the same.

****

Our medical records department has been "Health Records" for quite a while.
MIS became Information Technology July 1.  My department has been called the
Learning Resources Center since 1977 and I've often wished we'd called it
something else.

*****

In our hospital the three departments are subsumed under the "Information
Management" product line. Library is part of "Library/Media Services."
Before this we were "Education, Media and Reference." Now Education is in
its own product line outside of Information Management.

*****

Our IS Department is Information Systems.  They recently dropped the
technology out of their name.
Our Medical Records dept is HIM - Health Information Managment and they
hate being called HIM.
We are still the Medical Library and the Patient and Family Health
Information Library and I hate the long consumer health library name, but
haven't changed it.  We are basically two separate libraries, next door to
each other with open passageway inside.

*****

Medical Records, Hospital Information Systems (HIS), Medical Library (to
distinguish it from the Patients' Library, and "Delahanty Library" which is
a mini-orthopedic collection.)

*****

Medical Records
IT, Information Technology changed within the last couple of years from MIS
Health Science Library for Staff, recently added "for staff," as we have a
Patient Library.

*****

Our departments are called:

Health Information Management (formerly Medical Records)
Information Systems or IS (formerly MIS)
Medical Library (unchanged)

*****

here are our names
Health Information Management is Medical Records
Information Services is ITS
Medical Library for Library

*****

Medical Records:  Medical Information Services

ITS?: Information Technology

Library: (Kissler Family) Health Sciences Library

*****

Medical Records official name is Health Information Management--changed
approx. 1 1/2 years ago.
IT official name is Information Technology--unsure of when changed...I do
know they were called Information Services prior.

*****

I bet you'll get some interesting ones.  Ours are:

Health Information Services, Information Management & Health Science Library

*****

Medical Records  =  Health Information
ITS             = IS or Information Services
Library         = Library Services + Health Information Center (for Consumer
Health)

We do have some confusion between Health Information (Medical Records) and
the Library's HIC section.  But once people see books on the shelves, it
becomes clearer that we are a library with non-patient specific / general
health information.    Medical Records changed their name a few years ago
.

*****

Our Medical Records department is Health Information Services,
ITS is Information Systems,
the library is the library (but a part of Educational Services) because of a
generous benefactor,
and our Consumer Health Information Center is now the Consumer Health
Information Library, because I felt it needed to be called a library.

*****

Ours are:
Medical Records
Information Systems
Health Sciences Library
About 5 years ago a former Med Recs manager wanted to change to "health
information dept."  I very politely voiced my objection.  Still have Med
Recs...

*****

Our library is "Health Sciences Library" although the head of Medical
Education wanted to make it "Health Science (without the "s') Library".  Our
Medical Records is called just that and the Information Technology
Department is called ISS (Information Systems and Solutions)

*****

there-s been a name change recently for medical records - to health
information. it still is
while we had a name change in 1996 when we merged with medical education and
became medical education and library services or CME and Library.

*****

Our department names have not changed recently:
Medical Records,
Information Services,
Medical Library.

*****

Med Recs = Health Information Management (but on our inhouse phone list as
Med Recs)
ITS = Information Services or IS
Library = Ismael Medical Library

*****

Medical Records
is still Medical Records in spite of AHIMA, what was once Data Processing is

Information Systems (has been for more than five years, I think, so I don't
remember what names were in between), and the former Medical Library merged
5
years ago with several other Libraries and a Resource Center to become a
Health Science Information Center. Since the building is near the edge of a
growing medical complex, some visitors take it to be the reception
area/information desk for the whole campus! So we give out lots of maps...

*****

Our Medical Records is now called Health Information Management.

*****

Medical Records = Health Information Management Services (changed within
past 5 years)

ITS = Information Services (original name of department)

Library = Medical Libraries (we have four libraries)

*****

Medical Records, Information Systems, and (officially Stromberg Library of
the Health Sciences but referred to as "the medical library." No recent
changes.