Mouth of Little Otter kayak/birding

Silas Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:43:11 -0400

Had a great day out in the sun yesterday, and of course brought along my
binos. The first treat we had as we were coming down Hawkings rd was a
pair of OSPREYS soaring with each other with one of them displaying its
talons while a TV flew through the mix, the ospreys were also
vocalizing. Then as we were getting the boats off the car we saw a
BELTED KING FISHER perched over the launch rasping away. As we went out
into the river the wildlife was bubbling over all around us with
Swallows and GREAT BLUE HERONs in every nook and cranny. Also the dragon
flies were amazing to behold especially the ones with the bright green
heads and blue tips on their tails, I know nothing about all the species
but boy are they intrigueing; at one point a bright blue one landed on
the deck of my boat with a bettle in its mouth and ate it right in front
of me.. very cool. So we made our way down with the flow and their were
CEDAR WAXWINGS over head and GOLDFINCHES as well, and there's ospreys
soaring by every few minutes and fish jumping etc. Then we spot what I
thought was a gull at first coming up the river iving in every 50 yards
or so with great gusto, and lo and behold a CASPIAN TERN comes by so
close I could nearly touch it and continues to work over the area we
were floating in, it was quite a sight to see it slamming into the
water, I never realized they were so big. Shortly after this we bumped
into a friend of ours and we sat talking for a bit, when behind me I
hear what I thought was a car going by, cept a bit closer than the road,
so I turn and look to see a blurr of a PEREGRINE FALCON chasing a dove,
it was huge too I would've thought gyr if it was winter, it was that
big. It missed it's target but pulled up above us and soared long enough
for me to pull out my binos and soak in some nice views of her(i assume
from size), nice adult plummage, and close to the healthiest peregrine
i've yet to see. After that nothing to exciting some BLUEWINGED TEALS
and SANDPIPERS as well as a huge flock of CLIFF SWALLOWS which seemed to
have been nesting and hangning out around the cliffs to the west of the
mouth of kingsland bay. We pulled up on a rocky beach and had a warbler
of some sort(damned if I could tell it looked very non-descript). On the
paddle back had all the usual suspects except for one small heron in
flight that looked like a 1/5th scale GBH i couldn't see any colorings
or anything since it was dusk but it looked very cool indeed.

Happy Birding!!!

Silas Miller
So. Burlington