LISTSERV Archives

FSCP-SIG Home

FSCP-SIG  September 2002

FSCP-SIG September 2002

Re: Readings on middle- and upper-class

Joyce Epstein <[log in to unmask]>

Family, School, Community Partnerships SIG

Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:41:54 -0400

September 11, 2002

For those who want to add a section that helps educators understand new approaches to developing programs of family and community involvement, please consider the following text.

For Preservice and Advanced Education of Teachers and Administrators

Epstein, J. L.  (2001).  School, family, and community partnerships:  Preparing educators and improving schools.  Boulder CO:  Westview Press.

This book, based on twenty years of original research, provides a comprehensive background on the growing field of school, family, and community partnerships.  It presents readings on theory, research, policy, practice, and program development.  The chapters include comments, questions, activities, and ideas for projects and field experiences.  The information, guidelines, and examples will help teachers and administrators understand and implement new approaches to family and community involvement.  Most of the readings, discussions, and activities pertain to all families and communities.

For Inservice Education,  On-going Program Development, and Practically Oriented Courses

For inservice workshops and training, the Second Edition of our Handbook just came out last month.  This book and its many new research summary and practical tools is used to assist all of the state, district, and school leaders and educator-parent teams that join our National Network of Partnership Schools.

Epstein, J. L., Sanders, M. G., Simon, B. S., Salinas, K. C., Jansorn, N. R., & Van Voorhis, F. L. (2002). School, family, and community partnerships: Your handbook for action, second edition. Thousand Oaks, A: Corwin Press.

Some professors use this in their courses if the students are practicing educators so that they can use their classwork to plan programs and activities that will be useful at their schools.

Website Resource
Also see our website that has a great deal of helpful information and current research briefs:  www.partnershipschools.org.

Or call if you have specific questions.

Hope these are helpful to you.

Joyce L. Epstein, Ph.D.
Director, Center on School, Family, and Community Partnerships
  and the National Network of Partnership Schools
Johns Hopkins University
3003 North Charles Street, Suite 200
Baltimore, MD 21218

tel:  410-516-8807