UVMSTUDENTS October 2002

Advancing UVM: New Directions

Broadcast Center <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:27:32 -0400

Dear students:

Earlier this week I announced the immediate steps I am taking to forge a
leadership team to help me move UVM to the highest levels of academic
quality and achievement. The text of a detailed communication to the faculty
and staff is available on the Web at
http://www.uvm.edu/news/?Page=News&storyID=3031

I thought you might appreciate a summary focusing on the positions that have
more direct impact on the lives of students at UVM.

        With approval of the Board of Trustees, I have appointed John
Bramley as senior vice president and provost. Dr. Bramley has been deeply
immersed for many years in the life of the institution, successively as a
faculty member (and chair of the Faculty Senate), department chair, dean,
and interim provost. I know that he will be a superb provost.

        I am elevating the position of vice provost for undergraduate
education under Lauck Parke's leadership to a vice presidency. This is to
recognize the considerable line of authority exercised by Dr. Parke with
respect to the Offices of the Registrar, of Financial Aid, and of
Undergraduate Admissions, and, most importantly, to emphasize the critical
importance for UVM of quality in undergraduate education and of effective
enrollment management.

        I am asking Thomas Gustafson to assume the critical position of
vice president for student and campus life. This appointment merges what has
been the position of vice president for student affairs with key elements of
the position of vice president for university relations and operations,
namely University Communications, Police Services, community relations, and
overall capital and campus planning functions. I am also asking David
Nestor, who has provided invaluable service as interim vice president of
student affairs, to return to his regular position as associate vice
president for student affairs and to assume at the same time the title of
dean of students. Dr. Nestor will be the university's principal officer not
only on issues of student behavior but also, more broadly, on important
aspects of co-curricular student development, including student
organizations, Greek Life, and various services and initiatives to enhance
the quality of the student experience at UVM. As a team, they will lead
efforts to increase the quality and quantity of on-campus programming for
students. I believe these are critical appointments in an era in which
student success, achievement, and satisfaction are strategic issues of the
highest importance and in which the university's largest investments will
fall in areas such as Residential Life ($100 million of this past May's bond
issue, for example, and perhaps half as much again for the proposed Student
Commons).

        As I said in my convocation address, diversity among students,
faculty, and staff is inextricable from academic excellence. Accordingly, I
am asking the provost to create a new position, vice provost for
multicultural affairs and to fill it as quickly as possible. The position
will have a dual report, to the provost and to the president. She or he will
have supervisory and coordinating roles over all aspects of the university's
multicultural programs and initiatives and international services and
support programs (but not international studies, which lie within the domain
of the Provost as chief academic officer), from faculty recruiting to the
Women's Center, International Programs & Services, ALANA support programs,
and LGBTQA support services. Above all, the Vice Provost's charge is to lead
the University's efforts to foster systemic cultural change supportive of
happiness and success for all members of a genuinely diverse campus
community. Rebecca Flewelling has agreed to assume this role for a limited
time on an interim basis while we conduct a national search to fill the
position.

I am intent on unleashing the power of our marvelous faculty and dedicated
staff so that together they can ensure that we advance this great university
with a generous and bold sense of what is possible. I call on all members of
the campus community, including students, to enlist with us in the urgent
project of advancing the University of Vermont.

Daniel Mark Fogel

President