SCHOOL-IT October 2002

NEW Standards INto Action tools

Bill Romond <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:55:16 -0400

Hi all - Below I've copied in an announcement that went out to all schools a
few weeks back. The announcement describes a series of programs that
demonstrate some of the new and rejuvenated tools under the Standards Ino
Action Program .... and another round of programs that provides extensive
hands-on training.

If you haven't explored in depth some of the new avaialble tools in the last
few months, then it will be worth your time to see where this project is
heading. I'm sorry for this notice getting to you late, although hard copy
was mailed to every school a couple of weeks ago.

Please read on!

Bill Romond

SIA Demo Sessions:

Are your teachers looking for quality lesson plans and assessments? Does
your
school need a public events calendar or a private discussion area for
teachers?  Starting in October we have a series of demonstration sessions
(See Attached Session Schedule) that will introduce the new site
applications as well as the new and exciting content that has been loaded
over the past year. These sessions, scheduled in each region, will run from
4:00 pm to 6:00 pm and will include snacks and beverages.

SIA Hands-On Sessions:

In November and December, we would also like to invite you and/or some of
your colleagues who are willing to expand their knowledge and skills using
the
“Standards Into Action” software as an integral part of classroom curriculum
development, assessment, and collaboration in your school.  We have reserved
space for you in computer labs across the state for this purpose.  All
educators who attend this professional development opportunity will receive
hands-on experience with the software.  They will also be provided with
written documentation to supplement the on-line software presentation.   We
are asking you to recruit the most appropriate educators in your school for
the purpose of acting as a resource and trainer.  The expectation is that
they would provide professional development on the software to other
educators in your school. These sessions (See Attached Schedule) are
scheduled from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm and will include morning snacks and lunch.

For both of these sessions, we hope you will be able to find a convenient
location within easy driving distance.  We have included the time and the
location for each session.  To register for this professional development,
please coordinate with your administrators and educators in your school.
Then go to the following website to register:
http://www.dbweb.ed.state.vt.us/sia.  Due to lab space, there is a limit on
attendance for the Hands-On Sessions.  We will monitor the sites and close
registration when that limit is reached.  All registrations must be made
three working days before the date of the event.

Thanks again for your assistance in getting this important information
distributed in your school and organizing the next steps.  If you have any
questions, are having trouble registering, or if you need additional
information, please contact Elizabeth Rand at the Department of Education,
828-3510 or [log in to unmask]

Sincerely,
Jill L. Peck, SIA Project Manager

*
SCHEDULE OF DEMO SESSIONS:

October 10      South Burlington High School, South Burlington
Multi-Purpose Room

October 15      Castleton State College, Castleton
Stafford Academic Center, Herrick Auditorium

October 17      Applied Technical Center, St. Johnsbury

October 21      Springfield High School

November 5      Woodbury College, Montpelier

Hands-On Training Sessions - 9 am-3 pm

November 7      Essex Technical Center, Essex Junction

November 15     Vermont Fest, Killington Grand Resort

November 18     Swing Computer Lab, Stafford Academic Center
        Castleton State College

Dec. 5  Vermont Institutes, Montpelier

Dec. 10 & 17    Lyndon Town School, Lyndon
        3:30 pm – 6:30 pm each day