]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  October 2002, Week 4

MEDLIB-L October 2002, Week 4

JCAHO Survey & the Library, October 2002

"Kleinmuntz, Dalia" <[log in to unmask]>

Kleinmuntz, Dalia

Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:17:49 -0600

Dear Colleagues :

The following are my observations and comments on the very recent JCAHO
survey of this 3-hospital plus many offsite location, a 5-day event, that
ended very well on this past Friday, Oct. 25.  The organization "passed"
with flying colors, and the surveyors had nothing but praise, and its being
a "safe patient care environment.  The Libraries (three, each under
independent management, even if all other services are "corporate".  I
report to an administrative VP, the other two libraries report to nursing
staff development.

This year, unlike past years, the Libraries were officially entered on the
Building Tour schedule.  All three received special "spiff-up" attention
from Facilities Management and Environmental Services.  All three were clean
and orderly, etc.  (My private definition of a "well used library"
contradicts such neatness, but that's for another forum and another time.
Well - JCAHO Generalist did not come in.  I spent two mornings at each of
the other two libraries (2 hours waiting plus driving there and back) and a
4-hour window at this hospital, and in all three cases, libraries were not
"oh his schedule", as I was told by the administrator-escort. (the reason I
was told to be at those two libraries to provide "corporate presence";  It
is relevant only as far as the online information systems and catalog is
concerned, and the ILL cooperation between us).  A couple of hours later,
same surveyor was just up the hall from the Library, visiting the Cardiac
Rehab unit, and he spent most of the hour (out of 1.5 hours provided )
chatting about his homes and summer homes, etc.  Not quite what I would
expected of someone reported to be "picky" and "exacting", and ex-military
man).  next day, by chance, I ran into him near one of the elevator and
introduced myself and told him we were disappointed since he did not come
in.  His retort? Had he known we were waiting for him, he would have made it
a point to come in.

I had an opportunity to observe the same person chairing the JCAHO
Department Heads meeting.  I found it very strange.  Meeting opened with a
statement about "don't retire unless you have something to do", that golf is
not enough to keep one occupied, that even volunteering is ok as long as one
keeps active.  I wondered if that was a commentary as to what he is doing on
the JCAHO.  Then he asked about the organization's strategic plan, and the
answer - one word: growth", kept him satisfied.  Staffing issues were next,
but no questions were asked - he had the answers and mostly lectured or
shortages and dissatisfaction .  I tried to interject the latest JAMA
article that was "news" - but he was not receptive and afterwards I received
one request for a copy....then he wanted to know if anybody uses something
called Failure Mode Analysis (no repines, although I found out afterwards
that we are ready to "roll" with in-house training - so it is a mystery to
me).  This is a basically Engineering method of evaluating events(could be
sentinel or other Quality Improvement) that adapt very well, according to
him, for health care issues, and that he teaches it and it is easy to learn.
Then we heard a semi-lecture on Emergency Preparedness (lessons learned from
the 9/11, esp. pre-assigning persons to tasks ahead of time, so everybody
knows where to be when).  And the meeting ended with a note on Sentinel
Events, with a semi-question on how does information gets to those who need
it, and the need for wide dissemination.  That was all.

At least I had fun at the Information Management meeting - since the library
and Librarians were  mentioned.  The meeting was in two parts, at one table
set the IM related persons, and at another table were piled the Medical
records to undergo Review.  The first half was very short, and dwelled on
the proposed launching of WPIC (online medical records), computer security
and computer system backup, and then the Administrator (whom I did not meet
or was scheduled to meet before) asked a question about Information
Resources and the Library.  He then made a statement to the effect that
JCAHO used to have much more stringent guidelines for libraries, but now
librarians "don't love us anymore", but that he thinks that "librarians are
more important than ever".  He then asked me if there is a reason why (ENH)
persons cannot get hold of information they need, and I said no, especially
if they go online and then turn to us if they cannot find whatever they
need.  He shook his head in agreement and turned to my immediate VP and said
"make sure the library had enough money".  That got a giggle all around.

Nothing has or will change, I am sure, I have been around long enough to
have become quite cynical (sorry to say), but that interaction in IM was the
highlight of my week.

I am not posting any surveyors names, in order to protect the "innocents".

Dalia Kleinmuntz, AHIP      [log in to unmask]
Director, Webster Library, Evanston Hospital
Evanston Northwestern Healthcare
847-570-2664                   847-570-2926 FAX

Opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of ENH.