]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  October 2002, Week 5

MEDLIB-L October 2002, Week 5

Fw: NI 10/29/02: Condolences for Ariz Profs/Nov AJN/JAMA/NrsShortage/ANA Reacts 2 Redbook

"Peg Allen, Library Consultant" <[log in to unmask]>

Peg Allen, Library Consultant

Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:35:01 -0600

News about yesterday's shootings is featured in today's news release from
ANA, one of the best sources of current nursing news.  I've added some more
about this - hope not "off-topic" for MEDLIB-L.

For those not on other nursing lists, there has been conversation on several
I've checked, including comments about the three professors.  The best link
for more information about the victims I've seen is at
http://www.azstarnet.com/star/today/frontpage.html (will change daily, I'm
sure).  What impresses me is that the victims were all truly caring nurses -
not at all vindictive.  Here is a comment from an Arizona NURSENET member
who knew two of them (I know Naja will not mind if I quote her - this one
really affected me):

"Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.
Cheryl Mallernee McGaffic was a good friend with whom I graduated from
undergraduate nursing program here at the U of A. She had recently resigned
from her teaching position at the CON and was going to become a chaplain.
She  Had been accepted to a program at Yale. In undergraduate nursing she
was always in trouble with the instructors and therefore advocated
vigorously for students in her teaching career. She was funny, caring,
smart, and a beautiful person.
Robin Rogers was a pediatric nurse practitioner who helped me collect data
in a thermometry study about 2 years ago. I will be presenting the findings
next month in Nashville. She was a wonderful person with a great way with
kids.
I did not know Barbara Monroe.
The shooter lived next door to me in an apartment building. My kids knew him
slightly as he often walked a great Dane by our house.
I wish I could just wake up and have this all be a bad dream.
We had a candlelight vigil tonight near the college. People did not know the
words to any hymns, but we stood together and shared our grief and
disbelief.
How the students who witnessed the shooting will ever recover, I do not
know. But I know how resilient we humans are. We go on because there is not
other choice.

Thank you all for your kindness and concern."  (from Naja McKenzie)

My condolences to their family, friends, and colleagues, including
librarians at the health science library there.  Mari Stoddard, who will be
part of our MLA Evidence Based Nursing symposium, told me that they have
many projects going with the nursing program.

Peg

Margaret (Peg) Allen, MLS-AHIP   mailto:[log in to unmask]
Library Consultant http://www.pegallen.net
Resource Librarian Consultant for Cinahl Information Systems, Inc.
     http://www.cinahl.com/
Library Consultant, Northern and Southwest Wisconsin Area Health Education
Centers, http://www.nahec-wi.org/ and
http://www.medsch.wisc.edu/ahec/swahec/
PO Box 2, 308 Kann,  Stratford, WI 54484-0002
(715)687-4976                          Fax:(715)687-4976