]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

UVMSTUDENTS Home

UVMSTUDENTS  November 2002

UVMSTUDENTS November 2002

Advancing UVM: Creating a Process for Strategic Change

UVM Broadcast Center <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:29:33 -0500

I am providing the campus community with the following letter that I have
sent to Provost Bramley charging him to institute a University Planning
Council (UPC). The UPC will be responsible for taking us to the next level
in our strategic and tactical planning across the university and in all its
academic and administrative functions.  As you will see, this process is
designed to be broadly based and collaborative.  It will build upon the
excellent work that has already been done but increase specificity, identify
clear goals and objectives at the departmental and program level, and
develop metrics to assess progress towards them.  Importantly, it will be a
continuing and cyclical process which will both chart our course and map our
progress.

From:              Daniel Mark Fogel

To:                   Provost A. John Bramley

Re:                   Advancing UVM: Creating a Process for Strategic Change

In order to advance UVM to preeminence among the nation's small research
universities, it is essential that we create an environment in which we hold
ourselves and our colleagues accountable for defining clear objectives and
for achieving them. Accordingly, I am asking you to assume the leadership of
a University Planning Council (UPC) that will:

-        Review the University Strategic Action Plan, revise as necessary,
and incorporate University Vision and Mission Statements

-        Create a regular, cyclical planning process through which every
academic, administrative and support unit will:

-                  develop its own unit plan, congruent with plans at higher
levels of organization (e.g., department with college, college with
University)

-                  incorporate specific, time-bound performance indicators
to monitor progress toward unit goals and objectives

-                  regularly update the plan as objectives are achieved or
need to be amended and as new objectives are developed

The setting of shared goals and the forging of commitment to their
achievement must be a collaborative process. Planning can be neither
top-down nor bottom-up. As the UPC revises the Strategic Action Plan, it is
essential that it share drafts with the campus community via multiple
channels (e.g., electronic communication, public forums, meetings with key
institutional bodies such as the Deans' Council, the Faculty Senate
Executive Council, the Staff Council, and the Student Government
Association).

I am asking that a revised Strategic Action Plan be submitted to me no later
than January 21, 2003 for my review and transmission to the Board of
Trustees for approval at their February meeting. Once the Board of Trustees
has approved the University-wide plan, it will be important for each
academic and administrative unit to complete its own plan early enough in
the spring semester (no later than mid-April). The creation of plans at the
unit level must also be collaborative, with emphasis on our holding
ourselves and our colleagues, including unit heads, accountable for coming
together to set goals and to make significant progress toward their
achievement.

The April deadline will allow some incorporation of the unit information in
the formulation of operating budgets for the '04 fiscal year. For the '05
fiscal year onwards the planning process will play a major role in the
allocation of human, physical, and fiscal resources. With a regular,
powerful methodology for linking plans to resource allocation, our effort in
the critical process we are now launching will yield significant advances
for UVM's students, faculty, and staff.

I am asking the following individuals to join you on the University Planning
Council:

                        Vice President Lauck Parke

                        Vice President Thomas Gustafson

                        Vice President Karen Meyer

                        Interim Vice President James Fernandez

                        Dean Joan Smith

                        Dean Betty Rambur

                        Interim Vice Provost Rebecca Flewelling

In addition, I am asking you to identify for membership on the UPC six
tenured and tenure-track faculty, including at least three nominees of the
Faculty Senate, all of whose names are to be submitted to me for
appointment. Finally, I am asking Nathan Peters, Director of Finance and
Budget, Fred Curran, Director of Institutional Studies, and Mara Saule,
Chief Information Officer, to serve as non-voting ex officio members of the
UPC. Dr. Gary Derr will assist you in staffing the UPC.

I know that service on the University Planning Council will be demanding. I
am confident it will be rewarding and stimulating as well. On behalf of the
University community, I want to thank you and your colleagues for
undertaking an assignment that I believe is critical for taking the
University of Vermont to the highest levels of achievement and recognition.

cc: Faculty, Staff, Students, Board of Trustees