Re: info on governmental sites

Auburn Steward <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Nov 2002 08:58:03 -0600

Cathy and others:

This may well be an example of the scientific lockdown that I posted
information about in mid-October.  At that time I received this from
another list member:

Hill Group Faults HHS for Ideology

By Ceci Connolly
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, October 22, 2002; Page A25

A dozen House Democrats have written to Health and Human Services
Secretary Tommy G. Thompson expressing concern that "scientific
decisionmaking is being subverted by ideology" on issues ranging from
cancer policy to lead safety standards.

The letter, delivered yesterday, charges the department with using
committee appointments, financial audits and Internet sites to promote a

conservative political agenda that sometimes runs counter to
well-established science.

"A series of troubling reports have come out casting doubt on the
administration's commitment to the tradition of scientific excellence
and science-based decisionmaking at HHS, suggesting that the tradition
is being substantially undermined," wrote the group, led by Rep. Henry
A. Waxman (D-Calif.).

The letter gave as one example the Web site of the National Institutes
of Health, which removed "scientific findings of the National Cancer
Institute that, contrary to popular myth, abortions do not increase the
risk of breast cancer." More than three months ago, a bipartisan group
of House members asked Thompson to restore the information, according to

the letter, but "[t]o date, they have received no reply."

Claude Allen, deputy secretary of HHS, described many of the complaints
as a "rehash" and defended the administration's prerogative to create
advisory committees with diverse views.

"This letter assumes political motives where one may not exist at all,"
he said. Many changes instituted recently are part of an effort to keep
up to date with scientific developments, he added.

In the letter, the lawmakers question why Web sites for NIH and the
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have removed fact sheets on
"the effectiveness of condoms" and a sex education curriculum called
"Programs that Work."

"Having evidence-based information on preventing pregnancy and sexually
transmitted diseases is critical to the health of our young people,"
they wrote. "Removal of this information . . . strongly suggests an
ideological, rather than a scientific, agenda at work."

Today, the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice plans to hold a
news conference to denounce what it views as "the growing influence of
religious extremism on reproductive health care."

The Rev. Carlton Veazey, president of the 40-member interfaith
coalition, bemoaned administration policies restricting embryonic stem
cell research, family planning clinics and comprehensive sex education.

The coalition joined a growing chorus of activists who object to the
appointment of W. David Hager to chair the Reproductive Health Drugs
Advisory Committee of the Food and Drug Administration. Hager, a
Kentucky gynecologist, is co-author of "Stress and the Woman's Body," a
medical book that promotes "the restorative power of Jesus Christ in
one's life."

HHS's Allen said Hager's religious views are being questioned, not his
medical expertise. The latest critique comes two weeks after Rep. Edward

J. Markey (D-Mass.) issued a report accusing the Bush administration of
stacking an advisory panel on childhood lead poisoning with lead
industry allies.

But Allen said the administration believes "in getting broad views. . .
. We think industry has a voice and should have a voice."

C 2002 The Washington Post Company

There is a link to this story on the ALA website so it appears to be an
issue that should be of concern to librarians along with the scientific
lockdown issue I posted on previously.

Auburn Steward, MLIS, AHIP
Center for Toxicology & Environmental Health
Library
615 W. Markham St.
Little Rock, AR 72201
501-614-2834