Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE Home

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE  December 2002

SCIENCE-FOR-THE-PEOPLE December 2002

Re: Sympathy brain patterns

Michael H Goldhaber <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Dec 2002 12:56:25 -0800

This strikes me as pretty worthless, yet possibly dangerous report of
research, highly puffed up. Based on a tiny number of subjects, the
report is filled with interpretations and definitions that are taken to
be true with little argument. In prior experiments a region of the brain
was connected with emotions. Now that region is only lit up some of the
time, i.e. when people might be expected to have strong feelings, and
not when they can be expected to be confused by the message they
receive. What has been learned? What has been learned that couldn't have
just as well been learned by simply asking the subjects how they
reacted? Worse, based on this puffery, will police scientists now feel
justified in using such methods to determine whether someone is a
sociopath? If some expected section of your brain doesn't light up on a
PET scan when confronted with a certain video, are you now to be deemed
a likely criminal?
Michael