MEDLIB-L December 2002, Week 1

"Walker, Candace" <[log in to unmask]>

Walker, Candace

Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:45:39 -0800

On 10/9/02 I posted a question about putting hospital library holdings in a
public library catalog. Here's the status of the project followed by input I
received from list members.

I had decided to go ahead with the project, but the public library decided
not to. The state library grant for which they were going to apply was based
on increasing public usage. I couldn't truly claim I wanted to increase
public usage A LOT. "Some" would be ok, but not "a lot" given that we're
already stretched to meet all the information and training needs of the
hospital and medical staff. They also found out the cataloger they wanted
for the project was not going to be available. What we will do is give their
staff more detailed training about our collection and services, and they
will continue to refer patrons to us.

Some areas discussed:
1.Call numbers - Dewey vs. NLM - no problem
2.Subject headings - MeSH can be made primary but it takes extra cataloging
time
3.Initial input and ongoing cataloging/weeding processes
4.End processing/barcoding
5.Agreement termination and record extraction
6.Inclusion of journals - ours aren't cataloged; they wanted to catalog
them, include holdings info, barcode individual issues/bound volumes...
7.Circulation - none - everything would have been marked REF (location would
have been MEDLIB)
8.Interlibrary loan - none (but holdings would have shown in OCLC)

Here are highlights from responses I received.
********
This sounds like a new twist to me, yet related to something I am exploring,
i.e. having our holdings in an academic consortium catalog. This seems like
a more appropriate match to me than in a public library catalog, since most
of the academics have some sort of health professional educational programs.
I already have a very simple OPAC and so have MARC records from Marcive. We
will need to get OCLC numbers for those records so there is still work to be
done.
********
We've had our jrnl holdings in a regional public catalog for years.  we
don't charge for loans and the public can come in to xerox what we have for
10 cents a page.   so our voice mail recording  addresses public use of the
hospital library here.   however we do not have our texts in the  public lib
catalog  because they wanted us to check out books to the public.
*********
My feeling is that they see more benefit to them than to you or they
wouldn't be so open to whatever you want. You should get lots more people
and therefore lots more interruptions (for which I don't have time) but you
have volunteers so you at least have help.
*********
Our consumer library at the hospital has its holdings in the Public Library
System OPAC. This was started as the result of a grant the publib library
system rec'd. They also input the holdings of the local historical society
and a local museum. However, we do catalog the items on an automated system
at our hospital. Then every once in a while, we send a disk with the catalog
info to the public library. They upload it to their system and tweak it a
bit. Then they give us barcode labels to put on our books.

It has been a neat project for our consumer library because people can
access the library system catalog (public) from home, request that an item
be held and if it is one of our items, a driver from the public library
comes by, picks it up to take back to the public library where the patron
will borrow it. So we have become almost a 'branch' of the public library
system! It really has required almost no extra work and no expense at all
for us.
********
This is an incredible offer - a no work, small cost retrospective
conversion.  Make sure they tag your items (they will probably have some of
your books already themselves) with some sort of unique identifier relating
to you, so if you want in future to take those data for your own automated
catalog, you can pull them out easily.  Then you can feed them into your own
catalog.
*******
I think this is a great thing to do (my perception is that medical
librarians and libraries are often isolated from other types of libraries,
often to our detriment in developing collaboratively in the interests of
public health).  However, be ready to deal with requests for information
that they find, including requests to circulate (and I suspect possible
theft as well, not that doctors ever steal anything--big advantage to
digital resources!).  Make sure your management knows what you're doing and
about potential implications.  Also be ready to answer more reference
questions.
*******
We went with the state's OPAC with wonderful results.  I catalogue and
upload the results via FTP to their system.  We have not had a single
serious problem since, and our costs were reduced by $1,000 per year over a
standalone system.
********
Part of my collection is on the local public library system catalog.  Mainly
these items are from our Consumer Health collection.  Like you, we are open
to the public and see several public patrons every week.  I feel it has been
a benefit to us as our collection is utilized more through interlibrary loan
and people are better aware that it exists.

Unfortunately, our budget has to kept up with cataloging costs.  An initial
grant covered the cataloging when we first started but my budget hasn't
allowed me to keep up with it as much as I had hoped.  However, in the past
year, our hospice & homecare department paid to place the extensive grief &
bereavement collection on the public library catalog.  Most of the materials
were originally donated from them, and they promote the collection through
their support groups out in the community.
*******
We are automated, being connected to our public library system in our city.
Our holdings are separate. The patron records are also separate, but we can
"pull" a public patron over to our "side" & use their public library card
barcode. We have our own barcodes on our items, do our own copy cataloging &
serial checkins. Our medical library is open to public & we get 100 or more
patrons a day on average. We had to initially set up all records, monographs
& serials. We had volunteers put barcodes on all items, then we linked the
items to the system. We have items in depts within the hospital. For those
we just linked to the system, putting barcodes on the shelf list cards &
when we came across the item would attach the barcode. We use the National
Library of Medicine call number system.
*******
My holdings are listed in our public library catalog. We have been working
on a joint project with the public library to provide health information to
the community, so adding my holdings to their catalog seemed to make sense.
They added the holdings and marked them all REF. Their holdings are included
in OCLC.

One issue you might want to look at is ILL. We get a call to send out an ILL
from them every week or so. If they didn't add your holdings to OCLC this
probably wouldn't happen very often, but if you don't want the ILL issue,
see if they can update their OCLC holdings without including yours.
*********
The health system libraries are in a cooperative arrangement with a large
public library and separate medical library. We have not seen a vast
increase in demand for ILL from the public libraries or in walk-in use of
the hospital libraries.  One reason for us to join the cooperative
OPAC was to promote our patient/consumer library materials to the community.

The advantages so far have also been disadvantages.  We got more for our
money (we do pay) than we could have on our own.  The file server sits at
the public library and is managed by public library staff.  We also have no
control over decisions about upgrades and we have experienced some problems
with getting sufficient space in training sessions.  Some of the problems
are vendor-caused.  Other frustrations have come from lack of "local"
control.

We are using MeSH as the primary subject heading. You may wish to do this as
well so that when/if you decide to extract records, there will be no major
manipulations needed to the records for use in a clinical OPAC. We are
tagging our records in the 049 field with our OCLC symbol so that should we
decide at a future date to extract our records, it should be fairly
simple/easy to do.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have questions about any of the
details.

Candace Walker
Medical Library
Dominican Hospital/CHW