SKIVT-L December 2002, Week 1

Re: Stowe - 12/01/2002

Bruno deBiasi <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Dec 2002 17:00:40 -0500

  Stowe was soooo good on Sunday. Pipeline was sweet - create a little
snow slide, make a few turns, create a little slide, make a few more
turns, and so on. Entrance fee was low as the power line is still well
above the snow. :-)

We hit a little woods area that we refer to as the New Year's Day woods
(discovered by us on Jan 1, 2001) and were rewarded with 2-3 feet of
 untracked powder thru well-spaced pines for about 200'. We'll show that
one in person rather than blab the location here.

The usual suspects, GoatDive and Hayride woods were in pseudo mid-season
form, pseudo because the three to four feet of snow had not yet
consolidated and formed a protective barrier over rocks and stumps.

As I waited in the Octagon for Jason who had ventured over to Spruce to
look for us (why Spruce with the plan we had hatched?), I drooled out at
the Pipeline area while Kirsten took a solo run. The rope had been
dropped at the very top of Starr. She reports great powder conditions on
the trail with the occasional turn made in the woods.

Then it was on to the Bruce Trail as Jason has reported. My theory on
the single snowboard track we followed - a split board as pole marks and
ski tracks were observed on the flats. One note - there is now a gate
across the Burt Trail below the Bruce. A small sign and orange safety
tape strung across the trail warn of this gate farther along. Although
quite visible from a distance, it's an inconvenient gate, to say the
least. Then again, if we are trespassers we have no gripe.

Funny scene witnessed at ticket window - a patron peeled the backing off
his ticket and lamenting that he was having difficulty sticking the
ticket to his coat. A mountain host came to his rescue. Hopefully this
fellow found the mellower terrain of the Spruce area.

Stowe is making an effort this season to be more user-friendly according
to the ticket seller I dealt with. It's now possible to purchase a Stowe
Card directly at a ticket window rather than travel over to guest
services at Spruce Lodge. Oh, and the cost for 2 lift tickets Sunday?
$80 less the 25% card discount for a whopping total of $60 - for top to
bottom terrain and 3 lifts operating on Mansfield. That's $10 more than
Bolton the previous day for 2 crappy lifts and nothing open to the top.
I'll leave that story for a separate rant.

Ski/ride northern Vermont now - you will be rewarded with deep snow and
sparse crowds! But stay away from Bolton unless you want to hike for the
goods.

- Bruno