SKIVT-L December 2002, Week 1

jibbin' in the Okemo parkinglot

Evan Osler <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:58:17 -0500

I came across this story on the internet. I don't generally support the new
school craze, although it is certainly impressive in its own right. Anyways,
a pretty ridiculous story which I gather took place last winter:

(the narrator is not me, of course)

"In late December of this past winter, I was hanging out at Okemo for a few
days, making some turns. While trying to find my car in the maze of their
double-staged parking lots, I came across the very ill-conceived notion that
it might be possible to build a step-up hit from the lower parking lot to
the upper one. As the surface of the upper parking lot was a solid 25 feet
above the ground below, it would take speeds approaching 50 mph, as well as
a good size ramp to make the jump do-able.

A week later I was back at Okemo, this time with Winterton, Rory, Massage,
Woods, Crichton, Hibbert, Burke, Brittain, Grinnell, and others, to session
the mountainıs freshly cut super pipe. The first night we were there, I
brought up the idea of the step-up with Winterton, and soon after to the
rest of the crew. In going over my plan with everyone, I was to quickly
learn that my Orecent brilliant findı had long-since been spied by Rory, who
spent several years skiing out of the Okemo freestyle program before getting
kicked out, and moving on to the Killington Mountain School.

In any event, long since lusting after this step-up Rory was primed and
ready to go. We waited until about 11pm, hoping to avoid the Okemo security
minivan, assembled a crew, and made our way to the parking lot, armed with a
half dozen shovels, ample salt, and enough Budweiser to keep everyone warm
in the late-December chill. An hour and a half of handiwork resulted in the
construction of an exceptionally steep, but functional kicker that stood
about 6 feet in height, and a lengthy inrun covered with fresh snow.

Camera guy Preston Clarke revved up Roryıs rental Jeep (his mother had
crashed his own Jeep several weeks before, so he was stuck with a fully
insured rental for the time being. Fully insured rental cars are the best
kind of rental cars), and began towing some of the guys across the lot for
speed check runs. A couple go-rounds made it clear that this was nothing
less than a very high stakes endeavor. By the time the skiers let go from
the tow rope, the Jeep would have to reach speeds of over 55mph (ed. note:
this is the legal speed limit on most US highways and interstates). Recent
snow made most of the parking lot "skiable," though for the first 50 yards
of the inrun, sparks flew in every direction from the skis steel edges.

So it turns out that a dozen people hanging out and blasting music, towing
each other around a parking lot on skis at 12:30 am does in fact attract
enough attention to warrant an appearance by the Okemo Mountain security
minivan. Needless to say, the officer didnıt believe a word of our story as
to exactly what we intended to do, but insisted that simply towing skiers
behind the Jeep at top parking lot speed was enough to ask us to leave. And
so we retreated to our condo, if but for only a few hours.

Indeed, as 3am rolled around, we decided that the lone security officer must
have fallen asleep in the warm comfort of his minivan, pumping the easy
listening tunes, and that it was safe to return to complete our mission.
Leaving a sleeping Woodsy, Burke, and Grinnell behind, Winterton, Preston
and I roused Garrett, Scott, Max, Rory, and Crichton, and were off.

A couple more speed checks, and we were underway. Though the first few
efforts from Rory and Crichton appeared less than promising, as they stuffed
their takeoffs and came up several feet short of the upper parking lot.
Garrett, finally motivated enough to put down his cup of hot chocolate, left
the warmth of Wintertonıs Subaru, and stepped up to the plate. Theorizing
that it best to hit the kicker with the utmost possible speed, Garrett
figured that cutting a turn and "whipping" off the tow-rope would give him
an extra boost. Garrett was right. Sort of. Garrettıs plan worked a bit too
well, as he came off the end of rope in excess of 60mph. His body buckled in
the uber-quick transition of the kicker, and he was promptly thrown upside
down. Now a lesser and more inexperienced person may not have know what to
do when suddenly thrown upside-down, halfway up a 25-foot steup. Garrett,
armed with lightning-quick reflexes and a mind sharpened by his hour long
nap in the car quickly brought the backflip around to his feet before
sketching oh-so-slightly on the landing.

But of course. The obvious answer to the problem of cleaning the stepup was
to go inverted. Max, Crichton, and Hibbert took this as their cue as they
lined up for their turn. Hibbert quickly stomped several backflip safetys
and mutes. Max went after loops, fronts, and backs, and Crichton figured he
would bypass all of the simple stuff, and go for rodeo 5 japans, and misty 5
japans. Why not? Rory, preferring to remain upright, the way he does, fought
to stick several 180 mutes before finally greasing one.

It was December 29th. I looked down at Okemoıs parking lot "A" below, as
Crichton was towed out for yet another flipping, spinning, grabbing maneuver
up to parking lot "B," where I stood, with my camera, waiting. As his skis
skittered across the loose gravel and thin layer of snow, the sparks flew. I
looked at my watch, 4am. Was this some sort of bizarre dream? Preston
flashed the brights of the Jeep at the far side of the lot, and gunned it.
Dave hit the kicker, and seconds later stomped yet another rodeo 5 japan,
only feet away from me, and "skied" off across the parking lot, switch, into
the darkness."